Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 03-16-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Two handed casters

Anyone surf cast with two handed rods?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Two handed casters

I wish I could afford one!!!

Do you cast with a 2-hander???

Old 03-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Yeah I just picked one up. Meh. I'm a sick tackle junkie, so I had to splurge on top of the line stuff.Doesn't have to be expensive... I could get someone into a ridiculous setup for about $500, rod reel and line. A Van Staal is about as much.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delarock View Post
I could get someone into a ridiculous setup for about $500, rod reel and line.
You talking 2hander, maybe 11x11!?!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 PM

I'll make a bet that I could probably cast as far as an experienced caster with my two handed rod. Probably beat a lot. And I know very very little about two handed casting. I know the basics, haven't mastered them.

You need to stop thinking like a single hand caster!

A good surf rod would be 11-13 ft, no more then an 10 wt.

I have a 9 wt and it's way overpowered. It's a cannon.

I'm sure you weren't aware of the fact that spey rod weights are very different from standard weights.

I have a 550 grain shooting head on my 9 wt. And it's way, way too light. An expert spey caster told me to go to 750 grains. Plus a tip. Which would be almost 800-850 grains. Puts me in the.... 16-17wt class?

If you're familiar with an Outbound line, you'll know that their 12 wt Outbound is about 100 grains lighter then what I need to really load this rod for overhead casting. I really need a 14wt outbound for my 9wt two hander.

It's confusing stuff... But the end result is ridiculous.

Imagine shooting your whole line almost every cast for 5 hours and leaving with an intact shoulder. It can be done!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 AM
SS/Veteran

We were just talking about this.

Speaking of revalations what kind of light can you shed upon the differences of spey and double handed rods. Are double handed made for bigger flies and heavier lines and spey for smaller offerings to salmon etc.?

Is the spey cast that loads in the stream or river water on your upstream side different than a double handed cast off the beach?

btw welcome
Old 03-18-2007, 10:16 AM

Two handed rods are a little stouter then the regular spey rods. Of all the overhead rods I know, most of them are less then 13'.

There's no back casting in spey casting. Beach casting is just like regular casting. You can shoot line in the back cast, I don't. If you know what your fly line's head length is, or if the head is marked on the line, all you need to do is get the whole head out, lift, swing back so it's straight, and swing forward. The extra length and power of the rod does the rest.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 AM
SS/Veteran

I just went through my rod building catalog, and now I'm really confused...

There are a lot of spey blanks in there, and a few that are clearly two-handers (St. Croix makes a 10'6" 9-weight called the "Saltwater Surf-Popovics"), but most of the long blanks I can't tell whether they're spey or two-handed. I guess the guys who are into it know their stuff.

For what it's worth, the beachfront two-hander doesn't really interest me a whole lot. Fly fishing can be great out front, but I only use the long wand there when I can catch fish within 50 feet or so. If I really need a cast longer than 75 feet, I go to spinning gear (ya gots to use what best fits the situation). 9-footers do what I need them to do when I want to fish out front.

The longer casting spey and two-handed rods offer does interest me, though, in the calmer water of sheltered inlets and back bays. You can really clean up with the fly rod there, at times doing much better than you would with spinning or conventional tackle, and being able to throw longer casts allows you to broaden your range while fishing. It's an interesting concept, and one that I'll be looking at closely.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:34 AM
SS/Veteran

If you have high sloping dunes behind you, sometimes an 11' plus is advantagous. Sometimes a 10' may even help.

I thought about getting a set up I could cast 140'+, for the sole fact that as soon as I could cast that far, the fish would be at my feet!!! LMAO

I think Thomas & Thomas has true 11' 11wts. that are two handed over head casters.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 AM

Yeah.

Price-wise, lowest to highest...

TFO makes a 12x12 that a lot of people rave about.

CND has an Oceana line.

T&T's overhead rod again is a 12x12.

Sage's TCR is suited for overhead if you line it right. This is what I use. And GLoomis has its Stinger series.

I may be missing some... I think Echo has one.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delarock View Post
T&T's overhead rod again is a 12x12.
I could have sworn a few years ago they did a 11x11, but then again maybe I got the #'s wrong.

I still wish they weren't such big $$$'s.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 PM

But they're not!!!

Go with a TFO. Less money then most decent single handed rods.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:35 PM

The Croix Popovics is a 10"6" fly rod, not a two handed, just a longer fly rod for surf casting that Bobby designed about 5yrs back for St. Croix so that you would have the extra height to help get the line out over the waves. Whether or not it could be made into a two hander I do not know but I do know that it was not designed that way.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 PM

Apparently, I can cast roughly 100'. With only 35' outside of the tip.

Ordered my stripping basket today.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 PM
SS/Veteran

I was thinking about this thread last night. I got home at about 8pm after entertaining 2yr olds all day. I was gassed and went to bed 'cause I have the same today. At any rate I made a big mistake and put the VS channel on. What show comes on but a fly fishing show, and what type of fishing, spey casting for steelies some where in Minnesota, where the population of steelhead is about 1000.

The show went into detail on many cool points of that style of fishing, and it actually almost has its own sub-culture. They went to this sorta' "Inn". There's beer cans everywhere, Japanese dudes drinking scotch with guys all inked up, one guy is cooking something, and the owners of the place are like we always have room. I saw that and was like "My people!!!". If I ever got into that, and went there, I'd NEVER come home. The anglers were all cool as hell.

They went into detail on the protocol of coming into the river amongst other casters and how the cast is quartered down and across and you always come in well upstream and work down. The best part was so long as you followed that rule they'd take you in. Their attitudes amongst their own were unrivaled. I was like "holy $h!t, why can't we have this attitude on the striper coast"??? The inn keeper was like everyone moves{parties} at their own pace, no one steps on toes, and if new people come in at first they're taken aback, but we get them in with some other anglers, and they come up to speed quick. Those folks were too cool!!!

Delarock, I totally get how people can absolutely fall in love with the Spey thing. The true hard cores of that sport seem to really take care of their own.

BTW, I watched it for only about 10min. before I got juiced, seeing that water, watching bombers swing, and 100' of line coming to a stop with a sharp tug on the rod, and so I had to tie flies to take the edge off.

Great stuff!!!