Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
We seem to have a flock that hangs for a few days then moves on only to return in 2-3 weeks.
Turkeys seem quite nomadic. Presumably they are looking for better feeding opportunities. We had turkeys in our yard all summer but they moved on early fall. A constant, it seems, is that they favor certain areas for the spring breeding period. You can have spring birds, lose them in summer and fall but next spring birds will be right back for the breeding season.

Something I have always done with game animals as well as fish is to check their stomachs for what they have been eating. That tells you a lot about why they are there in the case of game animals; with fish you are told what to use. We often find grass shrimp in striper stomachs which leads us to cast a shrimp fly. Turkeys, because they are omnivorous, you find worms, bees, acorns. Turkeys will flip a cow flop over and eat the running beatles first, then the undigested grains. This year locally, because there was no mast crop of acorns, the deer ate grass. Once I, as well as other hunters saw grass in deer guts we started watching the green fields. All game and fish have a hierachy of favorite foods. Deer will sell their sisters for apples. Stripers -- bunker, snapper blues late summer, worm hatches.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Massachusetts deer kill is up (14,400) again indicating that deer are on the increase inspite of hunting license sales being in decline. There are less places to hunt and Mass is a hostile place to own firearms along with social hostility toward recreational firearms. In essence less of us are shooting more.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Still too many here..
Attached Images

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Jess,

You should petition your township for special bow hunting days to cull the herd. Tell them to donate the food to a local shelter.

Might work, and heck, it'd be great to see some photos of you up in a tree stand

On a serious note, Colts Neck and some of the other towns do have some special days in local parks, I think it includes some firearm days besides bow hunting. Even Forsythe NWR here has a few special hunting sessions.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Jess,

You should petition your township for special bow hunting days to cull the herd. Tell them to donate the food to a local shelter.

Might work, and heck, it'd be great to see some photos of you up in a tree stand

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:36 PM
SS/Veteran

You can eat only so many deer. For us that is three deer and even then we give one to the kids which they appreciate. Chances are those special local shoots are under subscribed because the hunter's freezers are full. Killing a deer is a PIA. You cut it it's work; pay a butcher and its $150 +/-
Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM

Over the years I've given a lot away to friends, neighbors and the needy.

Here's some information on donating deer in NJ.

Butchers who participate in the Hunters Helping the Hungry program receive $75 to process the donated deer. Hunters who donate deer must contribute either $20 (for field-dressed deer weighing 50 lbs. or more) or $40 (for deer under 50 lbs.) toward that processing fee. However, during the early season (Sept. 8 through Sept. 28), the hunter fee will be waived except for small deer (dressed weight under 50 pounds) where the hunter fee will remain at $40. HHH is also waiving the hunter fee for the late season starting the day after Six-day firearm (December 9) until the end of Winter bow, which is February 16, 2019.If the program's funding runs out, hunters who donate deer will have to cover the entire cost for meat processing.

more
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hlphngry.htm

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:54 AM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for putting that up. We don't get enough deer to utilize HH in our region. Big difference between Jersey, PA, NY and our local deer population. For instance we got three deer last year and only one deer this season. Fortunately, they freeze well and we tend to average out to our needed two per year. We have gotten as many as five some years. This year I lost one to a blood trail and missed a sucker shot because of a branch deflection. We also passed on a monster buck that was only 300 feet from a home; requirement is 500 feet.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM

My pleasure Frank.
If you saw the amount of road kills that just rot by the side of the road in this area you would shake your head in disgust.
Years ago they were picked up promptly and prossed for the prisons. After years of this practice some politicians decide that it couldn't be feed to the prisoners any more unless it was USD inspected meat which made imposable to be done in a timely manner so the practiced was stopped.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Around here guys fight over roadkill. I have picked up three in my life. They don't lay there long enough to go bad. Last one we were coming home from fishing, bass and blues in the buggy, when we picked up a six point buck. All I said to the cop was "i'm a hunter." "Take it", he said.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Administrator

I've seen deer on the side of the road with just the rack cut out.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:22 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Around here guys fight over roadkill. I have picked up three in my life. They don't lay there long enough to go bad. Last one we were coming home from fishing, bass and blues in the buggy, when we picked up a six point buck. All I said to the cop was "i'm a hunter." "Take it", he said.
same thing with a friend of mine, but not even a road kill. still alive but seriously wounded, cop dispatched it with a shotgun and gave it to my friend.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 AM
SS/Veteran

We have also picked up wild turkey road kills. In one case we had passed the spot early morning to go hunting and there was nothing there. Later, going home, there was a dead bird. So we knew it was dead only a few hors. It was fine.

It is surprising how deer and turkeys take a long time to decay away from the table. When our son, Dick, shot his first turkey he drove around town all week with it in the back of his pick-up in the heat. Still, with no on-time cleaning or cooling, it was fine eating.

We used to go to a shooting preserve for pheasants and the manager told us that in England they hang the birds outside in the heat for a week. So I "aged" a pile of pheasants for five days with no cooling and they were great eating. I know if you cut a deer too soon after shooting they are tough, rubbery. We stow venison cuts for at least a week before freezing. Ever think of how long it takes to get your steaks from the stock yards in the mid-west to your table; at least 10 days, maybe more.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 PM

Up until about 20 years ago road kills were picked up all the time and I had my share.
Once was I was a few miles from home in my car and came across one.
I came home got the truck and went back to pick it up. It couldn't have been more that 5 minutes from the time I saw it and went back to pick it up, Someone had beaten me to it and had already picked it up and was gone.

Your right about ageing meat I raised cattle for many years. The enzymes in meat break down the muscle and improve quality.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:28 AM
SS/Veteran

The entire subject of roadkill is related to custom, opportunity, local population of both deer and hunters and no doubt certain social issues. Some people refer to them as "dead animals" on the side of the road. For others it can be a matter of pride or subtle efforts to strut their hunting prowess. Like so many things, truth is tainted by ego and cheap efforts to impress.

I have, over the years, had a lot of exposure to sportsmen and I can tell you that a huge majority of hunters and anglers are full of prunes who are more interested in impressing you than the reality they are avoiding. One learns after a while who to avoid and it does not take long. If you know 100 sportsmen and know five you can believe, count yourself blessed.