Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Once meat is frozen the ageing stops. You might be able to defrost it, let it hang around for a while to age, then refreeze it. I know one family in Vermont that hangs deer in a tree in fall allowing it to freeze defrost refreeze until March, who knows how many times and they claim it is always fine. Of course, I would be careful who one trusts with this stuff; so many people are full of prunes. In my region there are not all that many deer to be willing to take chances with. Some years we have shot as many as five which is way more than we need; other years we were lucky to get one.

Vac-sealing is another new option that revolutionized handling. Foods store way more effectively when vac-sealed. One time, when preparing an article on vac-sealing for the Fisherman Papers, I put some bluefish fillets vac-sealed then frozen in the freezer for six months. That February we cooked them and they tasted like they were caught that day.

Re smoking, I have no clue how to do that. Could well be that I am missing out on something.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:15 PM
SS/Veteran

I happens every January: man, do my wife and I miss the woods.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:29 PM
SS/Veteran

http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/at...1&d=1580668018

We've started using this tailgate cargo carrier which is a way better way to transport a deer. No ticks inside the buggy; easy loading, no blood in the vehicle; nearer to the ground
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Nice buck, is that one of your stands in the background?

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:21 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverrude View Post
Nice buck, is that one of your stands in the background?
No, that is just a game pole, hanging set up used for aging or until we are ready to skin and prep the deer. We use only ground stands. Never climb. Climbing in tree stands is a very dangerous thing to do when hunting. Tree stands kill or hurt many more hunters than shootings. Can you just picture my 80 year old wife climbing a tree?
Old 02-05-2020, 04:12 PM

What I'm talking about is about 12 o'clock a little ways down way back.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Doesn't matter because we can't shoot in our backyard because local neighbors are less than 500 ft away. One mistake and you lose your gun permit. That gone and you hunt with a sharp stick.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:50 PM

Didn't know that was your yard.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:31 PM
SS/Veteran

My yard is in the woods and the lot was altered to pass the perk test because the house was built in a swamp. We see deer, turkeys and woodchucks regularly. But we can't shoot them there. Deer and turkeys are part of the sport and we leave game alone. Remember, and I don't think you need reminding, we are sportsmen, not assassins.

However, because woodchucks put my wife out of gardening (the bricks eat everything) I do have a pellet rifle which really screws the chucks quietly. But wild game is safe. And really we shoot enough deer and turkeys for the table legally without taking a chance on getting into trouble.

Next month the coyotes will be breeding and you want to hear some sh**t when they come through in the deep night. Like a cowboy movie. We pull the blankets up over our heads; gives ya the heebie-jeebies.

We clean deer, pheasants, and turkeys leaving carcasses in the woods behind the shed and after one night everything is gone. They eat striper and bluefish racks as well.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Butchering one's own deer is becoming a lost skill. People don't do that any more. Because they don't cut, its easier to come upon a road kill for pick up. In my day everybody wanted the roadkills and there were fistfights over them. I can't drive past a roadkill without checking it for freshness. We hunter regulars can assess use-ability right quick. Stiff is bad; warm is bad; old is bad. But the nose knows.

One time Joyce and I were coming home from fishing and there was an issue on the highway -- flashing lights, cops, woman crying "I didn't mean it! It came out of nowhere." Now it might have been August but this was a fresh one. So I says to the cop: "I'm a hunter." He says, "take it!". Vavoom, fresh venison aged in the fridge for a week. Delish!
Old 02-11-2020, 04:57 PM

Any thoughts/advice on concealed carry handguns? I have a couple of Colt model 1911s which I like, but they are pretty big for concealment. Automatic or hammerless revolver? Is a .380 enough gun?
Old 02-11-2020, 05:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Many opinions out there, sort of like picking the perfect women or the perfect vehicle. That said I would go with a S&W model 36 or a Model 60 in 38 special. Just my two cents worth.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:20 PM
SS/Veteran

I have a S&W .38 Special 5 shot with a titanium frame. That material costs a little more but is way lighter. But I am not a pistol guy. Of course in the self defense application a person does not have to be good. With a pistol on the range I couldn't hit a school bus. Stopped
Old 02-12-2020, 02:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Hey Rich, what do you think of my 10-point buck? Muzzleloader? Not a bad for an old man.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:34 PM

Merlin, I have never found a single vehicle that was as "perfect" as having multiple vehicles for various applications. I followed the same logic with girlfriends, but after marrying figured that option would be VERY expensive! Thanks to you and Mr. Daignault for the input.