Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Striped Bass Politics

I don't know if it has been discussed before on this site but there is a very interesting book called "Striper Wars" by Dick Russell. It gets into detail all of the appalling politics that led to the demise of the striped bass stocks in the late 70's and early 80's. Today there are equally stupid/corrupt/unethical/inept politics that are running the show and in 10 years from now, if we experience another stock collapse, I wonder what percentage of you will say "we had no way of seeing this coming"!
History has a way of repeating itself and we are headed "down that path". Am I the only one who sees this?
Below is something that was just posted on the SCJ Blog...........JC
__________________________________________________ ____________________

By Charles Witek

Right now, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission is holding a four-day meeting in Philadelphia related to the upcoming benchmark stock assessment for striped bass. That benchmark assessment, which will probably be completed next spring, will be used by fisheries managers to determine how striped bass will be managed for the next span of years?perhaps until 2020 or so.

Representatives from every important striped bass state, and maybe from every state with a declared interest in striped bass are there?except for New York, which is unrepresented.

New York was supposed to send three people. Andy Kahnle, from the Hudson River unit, who sits on ASMFC?s Striped Bass Technical Committee, Carol [I don?t recall her last name] from DEC?s Marine Bureau, who addresses coastal striped bass management issues and Cathy Hattala, who deals with bass up on the Hudson (DEC Marine Bureau Hudson River Unit). ASMFC would have paid for all travel expenses.

Today, I got a phone call from Dick Brame, who is Coastal Conservation Association?s Atlantic States coordinator and thus attending the meeting as an observer. He told me that three Technical Committee members came up to him and asked why New York was not represented at the meeting, given the importance of striped bass to New York and the importance of New York?s Hudson River spawning grounds to striped bass. Cathy Hattala tried to participate in the meeting via ?Webinar?, but apparently the connection was so bad and so time-delayed that she could not effectively take part. As a result, data related to New York?s striped bass fishery (and, I assume, related to things such as the Hudson River abundance index, although I don?t know that for sure) could not be considered at the meeting.

Apparently, the no-show was a result of the governor?s prohibition on travel; even though the travel would have been paid for by ASMFC, the DEC folks couldn?t go.

One would think that a meeting discussing the future management of a fish as important to New York?s anglers as striped bass, should have been important enough for Cuomo?s office to permit travel, particularly when the costs of such travel will be picked up by ASMFC?and particularly when New York?s Hudson River hosts the second-largest spawning population of striped bass on the coast. However, that was not the case. Instead, New York anglers and New York?s striped bass fishery were effectively unrepresented.

This is the sort of thing that the public never hears about, and probably should.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Striped Bass Politics

Inasmuch as this is "Ask Frank", is there a question? Incidently, we already have one of these going about Montauk.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Inasmuch as this is "Ask Frank", is there a question? Incidently, we already have one of these going about Montauk.
OK Frank!

"What is YOUR OUTLOOK on striped bass management, success and failure AND what would YOU do different"?

JC
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinglsister View Post
OK Frank!

"What is YOUR OUTLOOK on striped bass management, success and failure AND what would YOU do different"?

JC
I never agreed with management policies even back in the old days when the Moratorium came in. There needs to be a consistant National Policy in the management in view of the fact that we are dealing with an interstate species. Enforcement is a joke and I think that there is a lot of eye-rolling going on.

Crime studies, and I took a course on the subject so I am very smart , have shown that in order for laws to work there has to be overall support from the public and by enforcement as well. In many cases, and I cannot define them accurately, people and enforcement don't approve of some regulations so they sit there without the intended conformaty. Many of us, not knowing which rules are important and which rules are in that eye-rolling catagory, get screwed. A second consequence is the loss of respect for all management policies. People who formulate stupid stuff, like 10 1/2 inch scup for instance, degrade the regs that are important. The public lacks confidence in government.

But like the overall influence on the angling public, the subject has been beaten to death both here and in the real world and nothing ever changes. Consequently, I have become burned out in addressing it. It is a variation of politics and religion -- two socially dangerous subjects that I feel are not good for a how-to fishing forum. Its like tongue kissing your aunt.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Whether we like it or not, Striped Bass management plays a very important part of what shape our fisihing will be today and tomorrow. I, for one, feel it should be open for discussion in any serious fishing forum.

Maybe if more of us became informed as to what is going on with management, we would be in better positions to influence the managers' decisions and help ensure a healthy fishery.

The alternative is to hide our heads in the sand and bitch about poor management when decisions are made or laws pass that we do not understand or agree with.
BillH
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
SS/Veteran

What's going on with striper stock management is nothing compared to what's happening with the Atlantic menhaden, our poor old friend the pogie. The bunker stocks are heading for a major crash, one reminiscent of what happened to the Grand Banks cod stocks, and it's so incredibly sad. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

The demise of the bunker, by the way, is probably what's behind all the diseased bass. Scientists think that the lesions on the bass are a result of stress that is caused by lack of forage, and and the forage that is missing, especially in the Chesapeake, is bunker.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM
SS/Veteran

"But like the overall influence on the angling public, the subject has been beaten to death both here and in the real world and nothing ever changes. Consequently, I have become burned out in addressing it."

Rightfully so Frank. Not much point in discussing in anr more detail than it has previously. This stuff doesn't change, especially inside the walls of a surfcasting forum. The only way to try and induce change in Striper Management is to get your hands dirty, and get them dirty with hundreds of other surfcasters that share the same fear.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

This year's YOY Index is bleak:

Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Occasional low YOYs are common. I wouldn't get bumned out about it. Last year was huge. Shut up and fish
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Occasional low YOYs are common. I wouldn't get bumned out about it. Last year was huge. Shut up and fish
If you read about how stripers spawn, and how "right" the conditions have to be for baby stripers become viable, you begin to wonder how there's anything in the surf for us to catch.

Bad years do happen, but do not, by themselves impact the overall stock. so shut up and fish is good advice. Start paying attention when there's a series of bad recruitment years in a row.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:51 PM

All reproduction is environemtally sensitive. For any living being on this planet, conditions have to be perfect for viability to occur. Whether its a '51 Ford or a river in the Chesepeake, things have to be right, ..... not that I know that much about the Chesepeake, mind you.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Whether the YOY class of '12 was an anomaly or not is beside the fact that the striped bass population is in overall decline as it has been since the commercial quotas have been brought up to the "over-harvesting" levels that brought us to the moratorium in the 1st place. Worse, our idiot government is not doing anything about it.
At least back then, most of the poaching that goes on now was legal and counted in the overall catch numbers. Today, they ignore the fact that the pressure on the stock is even harder than when the population crashed. Does that make any sense?

JC
Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 AM

I hope the classes improve. Not sure how accurate the index really is: at least it is something. There sure seems to be a lot of baby stripers in the Chesapeake, in close to shore. As I understand it, the Omega plants are taking out tons of menhaden out of the Chesapeake for Omega 3 vitamins. Great for arthritis, but not good for linesides.