Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New York

Fishing - New York The Empire State Fishing Reports and Information

Old 11-22-2016, 06:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Default 2016 really mix bag fisherman

as the saying goes " Jack of all trades......you know the rest .well over *** days outings so far just a few days left of fishing this year only a hand count was boat trip a few w/ guides . I like finding shoreline its about the hunt + nobody around

Tarpon ( 5 30-40 lbers 20 lb braid 3000 CI4 that was fun all from the shoreline "S ") , Bone fish S, Snook S, Jacks S/B, Lady fish S, Spots, Rusty Raiders ( red fish ) ,Baracuda S ,Stripers S, Blufish S/B , Fluke S/B , Seabass B , Tog B, Reef shark S ( 4') , I prefer Inshore fishing spinning reel , braid , floro leader # 1 presentation Mirr O Lures , swimbait , metal, spoons , jigs A LOT OF TOP WATER about 90 % its my favorite , size don't matter its about getting out & having fun. Some on the Fly rod which is 8w #1 fly Norm Zeigler's ( Crystal Schminnow )everything ate it. S=Shore B=Boat

LM S/B ,Sm S/B , Pickerel S/B , Trout S, Salmon S, Crappie B, Carp S, 5w,8w, spinning set up , top water ,Spook, Rapala, , Husky Jerk bait KVD swimbait , Spinnerbait, Pig & Jig 3w,5w,8w

NY, NJ, Ct, RI ,Pa,Ma, Fla, Caribbean,

sorry I don't do the picture thing , like to keep things private , besides who cares really .

Happy Thanksgiving Safe Travels
Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: 2016 really mix bag fisherman

Happy Thanksgiving! Would like "discreet" photos sometime, but hey, it's about catching, more than "sharing" LOL

Glad someone gets out there, one day for me, one day
Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 PM
take a kid fishing

HookI - sounds like you had a nice year. After having my time on the water extremely limited since my job moved me to Manhattan in 2012, and my boat being down nearly all of last year, 2016 was a good come back year for me.

A change in positions in early summer gave me the ability to get home at a decent hour some days (4PM), so I was able to make a bunch of short trips after work. My season definitely started slowly, because I didn't have full confidence in my repaired motor. By mid summer I was feeling good about the motor and started getting more active.

We had a few nice bass early on, along with lots of double-digit bluefish on bait and plugs. Then I got into fluke and had good results with some large flatties. I was thrilled to find a good population of weakfish - even though they were small - and I caught them regularly for a few weeks. All on jigs. Once tog season opened I invested a decent amount of time pursuing them and caught plenty, with a good number of fish in the 5 to 8 pound range. I also got a friend into it, and he managed to catch some nice toggies too.

Then the fall bass got going, and it was gooooooood We had lots and lots of bass - almost all on 1/2 ounce jigs, with fish into the mid 20# range. Water clarity was fantastic, and we were treated to the sight of stripers chasing schools of bunker, or swimming up and slamming our jigs - awesome stuff, and I was thrilled that my sons got to see it.

We enjoyed some other nice moments too - we had a mola mola swim right next to the boat for a few minutes, several bald eagle encounters, fireworks nights, trips to the Blue Rock for lunch, surrounded by dolphins one morning - just great, memorable moments.

Early on this year, I decided to take it easy on the boat and stay in the bay. That's what I did (with one or two exceptions) and it was a great year. I also had some fun in the surf, with lots of bass up to the high teens, and some fluke.

I still have a few trips with friends, from the surf and from boats. Going for tog Friday, and have an offshore sea bass trip scheduled for 12/22. I can't wait.

I'm very happy to be a "former" charter captain

Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

My past few years have seen few quality fishing trips, but some highlights. My job has been increasing the demands, so work, what I call a "high maintenance" family... all good but time demanding (relatively speaking ), poor local surf fishing, and some vehicle issues, really impacted. The times I went out for flounder and tog were pretty good, got a few nice flatties including my PB at 6.5 lbs. Not a record breaker but great for me. Got a near PB tog this fall at 4+ lbs, had a few nice tog trips with lots of fish, though smaller. Weather impacted us a lot, and the boat's away now, though I may hit a head boat for offshore if there's a decent weather, and time, window.

Did a number of clamming trips on the waverunner, with a couple of flounder shots using this new vehicle, now rigged with a cooler and rod holders. Still working out the best fishing logistics but hopefully will be hitting the may / june sods next spring up in the more productive backwaters closer to where I live, rather than where the boat gets docked.

Summer flyrodding the ponds is fun, but I keep missing the (relatively) few surf opportunities down here, a lot of it though is just due to not being able to hit magic hours and dark thirty.

So, we'll be down on the east coast of FL for 2 weeks early March, where I hope to jump on some charter (thinking bottom fishing) and perhaps do some early morning fly rodding in the inlet just up the beach from where we're staying. Hope that's the kickoff for a slightly better 2017

I miss the raritan and north jersey shorelines (plus the 10 mile "commute" I had for 30 years LOL)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 AM
SS/Veteran

Brokenrod yes @ one time or another distractions, plans of work & family obligations limit time on the water . 1/2 oz jigs are a favorite of mine but won't go more than that , when we would Mongo the lead ( some years back ) metals was pretty easy to find, before the city / towns re-cycle programs . Now its an easy on line purchase . Local B&T are mostly gone . a " Former " must have had some hard work , Its knowing the water is very important to a client . In my boating days the NY / Nj Bight would have some great bites there but sometimes very dangerous , with heavy winds would blow some of those barges out of the shipping lanes , always kept a EYES out .
Old 11-23-2016, 04:34 PM
take a kid fishing

If you really, really love fishing - running a charter business might not be the best idea. What you're really selling is opportunities. The chance to catch a great fish - that's what you're selling. Ten years was enough. I had a LOT of fun, I made some great friends, and I learned a lot.

Time passes and you realize the opportunities are too valuable to sell. Maybe if you had no other responsibilities in life and all you did was live on your boat you could sell those opportunities and still have some left for yourself.

For me, the chance to enjoy the fishing myself is worth more money than I could ever make doing charters - or just about anything else for that matter.

And you're right about the NY Bight; it has plenty of great fishing, and plenty of potential to get yourself jammed up if you aren't paying attention. I'm pretty good at what I do on the water

Old 11-23-2016, 05:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Living where we are NY has tremendous fishing opportunities but its this cold that drives me off & traffic too.