Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: March & April Fishing Reports 2017

I know it's an issue but I really can't recall being bit off by blues; maybe once but it's not been a problem for me; I may just stay with 30lb
Old 03-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Show me a pic, I can't picture this. 30lb Fluor on a twisted dropper is just fine for me
Rio Powerflex comes in 20, 30 and 40 lb. and you can knot it. Personally, I typically use 20 or 30 lb fluoro and if you have a "quick release", so be it. I don't want the blues, unless it's music, anyway...heh heh
Old 03-19-2017, 04:36 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrock View Post
Rio Powerflex comes in 20, 30 and 40 lb. and you can knot it. Personally, I typically use 20 or 30 lb fluoro and if you have a "quick release", so be it. I don't want the blues, unless it's music, anyway...heh heh
problem really only comes if the gators are thick, then you wind up having a quick release with multiple relatively expensive lures, in addition to your cheap teasers.

lose $60 in a few minutes to the big nasties and, well, you'll feel like you're in Atlantic City, only better off.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
problem really only comes if the gators are thick, then you wind up having a quick release with multiple relatively expensive lures, in addition to your cheap teasers.

lose $60 in a few minutes to the big nasties and, well, you'll feel like you're in Atlantic City, only better off.
If they are thick, put on a wire leader and a Hopkins....lol
Old 03-19-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrock View Post
If they are thick, put on a wire leader and a Hopkins....lol
I'm a firm believer in going with the flow!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Senior Fellow

if the big boys are in I go with an old beat up Kastmaster and my cheapest plain bucktail teasers; or nasty old popper with a single hook on the tail; they don't care
Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
if the big boys are in I go with an old beat up Kastmaster and my cheapest plain bucktail teasers; or nasty old popper with a single hook on the tail; they don't care
I'm with ya Bill. Me too!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Senior Fellow

had a couple of glorious double headers with 7-8 lbers last Spring and it does not get better than that; thought I had a 25-30 lb striper; it was just at dawn; I'm chomping at the bit for the next two weeks to pass; fishing and baseball; things are looking up
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM

My favourite moment from early last spring was my first hookup fishing off the sod banks way down on IBSP. I was throwing a big splashy plug and BAM! I thought I'd hooked an outboard motor. It was an incredible amount of whitewater, and as it got in a bit closer I saw that it was 2 gators on the same plug. They were pretty worked up and the water there was only 4 feet deep, which contributed to their upset. Before I got them to the sod one got enough leverage to straighten out the mid-plug treble. The one I landed was 25" and maybe 12 or 15 pounds.
A fun way to start a morning.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 AM

What would have easily been my biggest fish of the year last year bit off my SSC Trophy High-Low rig, which I think is 80 lb test mono. The worst part of losing that big blue was that it happened in front of a few friends from here and my wife, who seldom goes fishing with me, but it was our anniversary trip to the beach
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Senior Fellow

Big Blues do not get enough respect; they battle in the water and keep going on the sand; "never give up...never surrender"....Galaxy Quest anyone....and we have all been bit so give them respect; had some monster days last spring and hoping they come back; keep the old metals handy in the bag
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

They would get me when I didn't know they were there, or showed up after the sun came up. Then the first one would come in, and I'd be fine with it, then you cast again and you feel a whack-whack, hit, then "boink"... there went the entire rig w/ plug. Sometimes I was smart enough to change at that point.

Sometimes.

Last edited by RobS : 03-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:21 PM

I love bluefish....I go out of my way to target them when they are thick.

If fishing with artificials you can get away with almost any size leader as long as you keep the line tight. The issues arise when a second bluefish comes and tries to take your lure out of the first fishes mouth. This is where you can get a double hook up (if using two hooks) or get bitten off.

We have been fortunate enough to watch this happen from the boat on multiple times. Its not unusual to bring a bluefish to the boat and have another one (or multiple) following the hooked fish.

If you think about it logically it makes sense. The first fish will usually cut a bait in half and ignore the second piece (a second fish comes behind that fish and scoops up the scrap).

130# mono is very forgiving even if a bluefish swallows the lure deep. You can usually get one or two bluefish scraping on it before having to cut back and retie when that happens.

Most people will need a crimping tool to use it but I haven't been having any issues tying knots with it.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM

I am looking forward to the bluefish run and hope that it develops as it did the last two years. Standing in knee to thigh high bayshore water and fishing the flats is exciting. The bluefish swarm the shallows that have been warmed by the sun. Some so big that some timid souls, possibly smarter than I, have retreated to the sand as a precaution when ten to twenty gator size blues swarm around at light speed inches away from your waders.
Last year I hooked two large ones with a Penn 450 mounted on a seven foot spinning rod. My skills were definitely tested and both fish were released and appeared in good health. This year I am going with the fly rod! I hope I see more respect for these fish than I have in the past. YD
Old 03-22-2017, 04:47 PM

bring on the yellow-eyed demons