Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Favorite Artificial?

I love using metal (Hopkins) with a teaser. The teaser can be a simple rubber worm, fly or a small tube. Even at night it has proven to be effective.

Doug
Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Thought and emphasis for most surfmen goes to the casting weight, be it plug, tin or even sinker. In my case I don't care about what is chosen to add casting weight; I watch the teaser because no matter what delivers, it is the teaser that catches the fish. In my first book, "Twenty Years ....." I sighted a situation where 100 bass were taken -- 98 on the teaser. So who cares what is used for a casting weight. Big wind nights we used bank sinkers.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:25 PM

I have had a lot of favorite artificials in my 65 years of lure fishing. One of them is the Creek Chub Giant Pikie Minnow. Many is the time when I took fish in a beach mob with that "Jointed Eel". It culls not takers from a sea full of other lures.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Fly fishing, when I arrive the first thing I do is try to determine the dominant bait. If there is nothing obvious, I tie on a black Owens Velvet Eel which usually carries the night with plenty of takes. But we know our spots, have confidence in them and have mohawked bass there many times, at the right stage of tide, in the dark with no boat traffic.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:04 PM

Another killer lure that has never given me a fifty but a lot of 40-pounders is the biggest bucktail jig made -- the 8/0 No Alibi Smilin' Bill in white with a red mouth. This lure can take the pull of a giant tuna in places where no drag can be allowed like bridge fishing or jigging the Rhody breachways. I have taken a ton of high 40s with this. Sometimes I have used a pork-rind but more often plane. I have also repainted this jig with a mackerel paint job. It has not produced better but the cool mackerel look exudes confidence in Mister Smarty's head.

Its fun to fish with something you believe in. Just like shooting a long gun you trust -- a head thing. A fishing lure is like a woman: if it looks good, its good.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Frank, the SP minnow has pretty much taken the slot of the rebel type plugs today. Same basic design, but they figured out how to make them cast well with a sliding weight that goes to the tail for the cast, and settles around midway for action in the water.
I use them a lot, they work great.
If I had to pick a favorite I guess it would be a super strike little neck popper for day/dawn/ dusk, and a metal lip swimmer at night.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:09 AM

Yes, LK, those are all good choices. A thing that has happened to me recent years has been so much fly fishing. When you make that kind of change, you lose touch with other methods. I haven't thrown a plug in at least five years. We don't even put casting rods -- spin or conventional -- in the buggy any more.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I love using metal (Hopkins) with a teaser. The teaser can be a simple rubber worm, fly or a small tube. Even at night it has proven to be effective.

Doug
I never leave home without a few Hopkins in the bag. They allow me to explore the entire water column. Dressed, undressed, with/without teaser and yes, in the dark. My favorite is the shorty
Old 04-15-2017, 04:27 PM

The tins of the time -- Hopkins, Acme kastmaster, graves -- were all popular day choices back in the day. They were awesome bluefish takers. Might be a head thing but tins seemed to draw blues.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:22 AM

I've gotten to love Sebile Stick Shads. I think part of it is I'm a relative newcomer to the sport so I'm not as married to traditional choices.

The other part is the resurgence of larger bait in my area, the bunker and herring have been thick the last few years.

Mark C
Old 04-17-2017, 02:09 PM

A relatively new lure maker, Sebile has a nice line of lures that all work. The realism in their design and finish makes them a top notch angling choice. The old time stuff we used back in the day is junk when compared to Sebile lures.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:35 PM

The red-gill, which I was the first in this country to have, had been developed for wreck fishing in England, is a great artificial. Its best application is for use as a teaser because it too heavy to fly fish, yet still too light to cast on its own. (I have this nagging sense that I already mentioned it, or certainly should have.)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM

What category of bait or lure does a rigged eel fall under? I mean we don't rig an eel and lay it on the bottom. Rather, we retrieve it like a plug. Soooo, which is it?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM

Rigged eels are in the "smelly plug" category.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKB3rd View Post
Rigged eels are in the "smelly plug" category.

It makes no sense but the rubber eels they sell do not seem to do as well as rigged eels with actual eel bodies. It could be a head thing. I don't think smell is the reason because plugs don't have smell. Riggies might be more supple thus imparting a better waggle.