Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Book Talk: Twenty Years on the Cape

What takes me back in "Twenty Years" is how it addresses the issues of the time. Makes me wonder if I was a better writer then than now. Also, the book addresses striper populations which is exactly what is happening today. Again!
Old 10-24-2019, 11:24 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
What takes me back in "Twenty Years" is how it addresses the issues of the time. Makes me wonder if I was a better writer then than now. Also, the book addresses striper populations which is exactly what is happening today. Again!
Can't image you were a "better" writer, however I do believe that time colors our views in many ways. I know I was a lot more idealistic and optimistic in my younger days that would have shaped what I wrote, had I been an author. Another influence in your writing would have to be time. As much as we don't like to admit it, the best of us still forget things, including feelings and our views/opinions that we might have held so dearly back in the day, when time has buffed out some of the rough edges, or in some cases eroded them to expose new, sharp, ones.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:17 AM
SS/Veteran

At the height of my writing career there were fewer writing about stripers. Those who did really did not know striper fishing. And the demand in magazines was soaking up everything written. In time a lot of people got into it, some who really were no better than the early ones who did not know stripers. One example of a new-be that comes to mind who wrote about the marvelous striper fishing on Block Island during the striper moratorium. Now that is world class, industrial grade, stupid. Still, even the bad writing filled a niche. Editors needed that stuff. Today there are so many striper writers they trip on each other.

Keep in mind that Mister Smarty's aging was accompanied by monetary successes. Consequently I don't have to work any more. I don't even get off on writing books any more. Its too much work with too little payback. Investing is the way to go; even my broker has an 800 number.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:53 PM
SS/Veteran

In the passing of 30 years one is not the same person any more. When I read "20 Years" I have this nagging sense, this nagging wonderment that haunts me to think, did I really write that? If you haven't read it lately, take another look. I know of at least two regular surfcasters -- Bramhall and Lapinsky -- who start each season re-reading it.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Hi Frank, Enjoyed your Eastern Tides book. Any chance you will release your others in ebook format? I am in Australia and no bookstores carry yours.

Thanks,

Mule
Old 11-10-2019, 03:29 PM
SS/Veteran

The publisher decides whether to go in e-book form. I think some of the books are in e-book, at least that is the impression I get. Burford offers some titles in e-book. You could do a search on Burford Books and ask them. I am the publisher of "Twenty Years" because the original publisher died and they relinquished the rights back, but I don't know how to do that.

What the heck is an Aussie doing reading yank books?
Old 11-10-2019, 05:50 PM

I like reading saltwater fishing books. Yours was one of the best I have read so I will definitely email Burford books.

We fish for barramundi here in North Queensland but by law have to release anything over 47inches. They change sex like Bruce Jenner so large barra are all female. There are similarities to striped bass so I like to see if I can adapt techniques/lures but we cannot wade into the water because of crocodiles.

You would enjoy fishing for barra. Great fighter, tasty and will take a fly but most people use baitcasters (conventional reels). Thanks for answering and the great book!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Interesting. I know New Zealand has some awesome trout and that they do a lot of year long hunting in NZ. You have crocs and we have great white sharks. So much for night fishing.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Yes not sure which one I would prefer to be eaten by. A flyfisherman got attacked by an 8 foot croc two days ago. He gouged it's eyes and it let go of him. I always stay about 6m back from the waters edge.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6VrgQQdPC1Q

Some good hunting here too. Pigs, deer, buffalo. Introduced species only unless you have a permit unfortunately.

Apologies for derailing your thread..I will let it get back to talk about your bpok.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Don't worry about occasional digressions from the original subject. This is all informal. I think, or at least I have heard, that Aussie/New Zealand gun regs are kind of tight. States gun owners are always warning that is what we could end up having.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 PM

The laws are tight in Queensland but you can own them for hunting, target shooting and work (farming etc). No semi-auto (unless proven that you need such as pest animal culling) and there are mag size restrictions. Self defence is not a legal reason to own a firearm but would a jury convict you if you had a legitimate cause..who knows these days? You can own a pistol if you are an actively participating member of a pistol club. Almost zero chance of getting a concealed carry license. I own a couple of bolt action rifles and keep them locked up as per our laws and am happy enough.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:52 PM
SS/Veteran

They have been trying to ban semi-autos here as well. My wife has two semi-auto shotguns chosen for low recoil and ease in a repeater. One is for deer, the other for trap targets. I pump for deer and over/under double for trap.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:21 PM

I keep an eye on the firearms debate in the USA. Not sure how they would implement similar laws to Australia because our gun cultures are so different. I know there are places that I would want to carry in the US but I do not feel the need to here.

Peter from Burford books was very helpful but said there were no other books written by you in ebook format.

Saw your name pop up in a book by Vlad Evanoff regarding fishing with eels. Doing alot of reading because our barra season is closed for 3 months during their spawning. It's a good chance to target some other species like dusky flatheads and threadfin salmon. Both are delicious and take a lure.

What shells do you hunt deer with and at what range? Most of our hunting is in fairly open bush so rifles are the go. In the denser rainforests we use dogs to grab the pigs and then use a knife. They can grow quite large so can get the heart going.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:23 PM
SS/Veteran

In our eastern states that happen to be densely populated center fire rifles are not allowed. We are forced to use shotguns, rifleing allowed, scopes allowed. We use sabot rifled slugs 12 gauge which are good up to 100 yards but because we are so brushy in our deer cover most shots are 30 to 50 yards. And we can use rifled muzzleloaders which are slightly more accurate than shotguns but, as you know, are only one shot. My wife and I hunt three states which enables us to move around and get more seasonal hunting days. We have a lot of regulations which are all different, depending upon the state. We get 9 weeks of deer hunting and four weeks of turkey hunting in spring.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer. I am surprised your hunting season is so short. Have never seen a scoped shotgun..guessing pretty low magnification at those ranges. Would be a bit hairy sneaking around with a singleshot firearm and bears in the neighborhood!