Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Default LBI surf fishing - new & looking for help

After years of freshwater fishing (not for stripers) across much of the east, I'm planning get started surfishing for stripers on LBI in '08 and would like to get some advice. I've read a couple books on surf fishing stripers, spent some time reading stuff on-line, and made a visit to Fisherman's Headquarters to get my first surf equipment. My interest is in artificials, so they set me up with an 8' Penn rod and reel, some bombers, an Atom popper, and shad swimbaits. I've since added some spoons from a local store, and already have some 9" Sluggos.

My questions:
1) Any other lures I should add for LBI? Any advice on fishing techniques?
2) Best areas to fish on LBI?
3) Best times of year to be there in spring and fall (I should be able to visit 3-4 weekends)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Team SS

Default Re: LBI surf fishing - new & looking for help

I would add some pencil poppers for the Spring. A white and/or yellow Gibbs Danny. What kind of line did you put on the reel? I would put braided line (Suffix). As far as location, the whole island has good fishing. My personal experience is that I have done well @ the North end of the island and South end of the island. I have not fished much in between.

Member Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Fellow

Several bucktails, I prefer white, yellow and chartreuse; some plastic tails to use with them (same colors, plus pink and black); perhaps a "walking the dog" topwater..when the blues are in, its great fun; also make sure you have at least one or two 2oz plus metals (kastmaster, etc) for those days when you need them to punch throught the wind to reach the fish...good luck and welcome to the fight
Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 AM

What weight range will the rod handle? The stuff they started you out with is a great place to start. Bucktails are a definite and metals if you will be fishin during the day. I would also look for the book by Zeno Hromin "The Art of Surfcasting with Lures" It's a new book this year but it will take years off the learning curve.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
SS/Veteran

You may want a few teasers!!!

Also, don't overlook the backside of the island, and inlet area, especially when the r@cer bluefish start filtering in, early in the season say around mid-april to early May.

I start in the back early season and won't head out front til bunker schools start moving through.

Last edited by Fish Tank : 02-08-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: What's wrong with the word r-a-c-e-r???
Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Can he use pencil poppers effectively with that rod?

Enjoy the hunt. I don't fish LBI, but any time on the surf is good time.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrexel View Post

My questions:
1) Any other lures I should add for LBI? Any advice on fishing techniques?
2) Best areas to fish on LBI?
3) Best times of year to be there in spring and fall
1) Some great Bluefish Blitz's happen on LBI every year and I would suggest getting a nice assortment of Metal Lures -steel leader optional if you like to live dangerously...
Some name brands would inclue A.O.K.Tackle T-Hex's , Ava's , & Pt.Judes are my favorites,other would inclue traditional Hopkins,Krocidiles & Kastmasters.
Another would be adding a Teaser ,last season we had a outstanding sandeel run during the fall,4" Redgills were my favorite for targeting Big Bass..

2) LBI is a 18 mile stretch of NJ Coastline that is productive all season long.The trick is understanding the bait patterns and all the different structure,meaning the sandbars,cuts in those sandbars and deeper water holes.It can be going off at one end and dead at the other, I would suggest to spend time on the NorthEnd,Mid-Island & SouthEnd and try to get to know all these area's well first then plan your attacks...

3) Spring & Fall, thats when it happens and those times of the year is when it gets good but really depends on the weather and water temps,varies by days,weeks and even months sometime.. But traditionally for Plugging Artificials its late May thru June into early July, the fall run usually starts with the Mullet Run around mid September and great action can last until the end of the year but sometimes ending in late November.Again it depends on how cold how soon it gets...

Good Luck Out There, Keep Checking In For SSc Reports and your local Tackle Shops for information...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 PM

To address some questions raised:
1) line - no line on the reel (Penn 450ssg) yet. I've been leaning toward mono (14#?), but have used braids in other fishing and like it a lot on conventional reels, but not completely thrilled with it on my smallmouth bass spinning outfits.
2) The rod is rated for 3/4 to 2oz, which limits me on the upper end, although should throw the Bombers and other lighter stuff well. From what I've read, another foot or two would be better for working a pencil properly? Not sure if an 8' rod can do the job?
3) Leaders - any advice on how necessary (e.g. use one all the time, only if blues are around?) and material/strength/length?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
1) line - no line on the reel (Penn 450ssg) yet. I've been leaning toward mono (14#?), but have used braids in other fishing and like it a lot on conventional reels, but not completely thrilled with it on my smallmouth bass spinning outfits.
2) The rod is rated for 3/4 to 2oz, which limits me on the upper end, although should throw the Bombers and other lighter stuff well. From what I've read, another foot or two would be better for working a pencil properly? Not sure if an 8' rod can do the job?
3) Leaders - any advice on how necessary (e.g. use one all the time, only if blues are around?) and material/strength/length?
IMO..
1) I think a 17# mono would be a better all-around test. If you can overcome your aversion to it, go with 40# braid. I've used Stren for a couple years with no complaints.
2) a longer rod would be better, but try out a pencil on your rod.
3) I always use a leader. I always use a teaser unless blues ARE around. They have a tendency to bite off your teasers. I use 30"+- length of 30#-40# mono for leaders.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:25 AM

one person's perspective....Fall is generally better than the Spring but both are productive....Falling tide is always better in the Spring....any wind from N, NE, E, SE is fine...NW, W, and SW not so good...when bunker are around, yellows are the best color....bait will always produce more fish than plugs in the Spring....Spring is better in the bay near the inlets and bridges...late Spring is better in the ocean near inlets...north and south ends are more productive than the middle.....forget the mono....teasers are good....fish around the sunsets and sunrises...save yourself some money, go to Tony's in Manahawkin...u will also learn more from them (3rd generation baymen)
Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
1) Line - I would spool 20lb PowerPro braid,great casting line and the no-stretch factor is excellent for feeling the slightest bite...

2) The lighter rod (8') is cool for the smaller pencils up to 1.5oz anything larger you will need a longer rod.The sweet spot for your rated rod will be plugs around 1oz-1.5oz.

3) Fluoro Leaders with a quick change snap on the end will allow you to make changing your lures alot faster and I would go with 30lb Seagur 24" lengths...
Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Fellow

Lots of great info, as usual; 1) I would absolutely suggest teasers; I use one all the time; if blues are really banging, I carry some cheap simple single bucktail replacement hooks and use them; I may lose a few but I make it up when they love the teaser over other lures plus the fabulous bluefish double-header 2) also use braid all the time with a fluorocarbon leader; the distance gain and sensitivity are unbeatable; my only exception is one combo that has mono that I use for night fishing to avoid wind knots and tangles in the dark 3) still as a relative newcomer to the surf, I know what you get from other loonies who stand in cold water being crushed by wet wind and think its great...ask for help and info, respect their space on the rocks and sand and talk to the tackle shop people when you buy and you will get loads of help and suggestions based on experience..and soon you will pull that first striper onto the sand and you will never look back
Old 02-09-2008, 09:57 PM
SS/Veteran

I would say braid for sure. The 450 is a bigger reel and has the capacity to go mono if you want. I think the braid casts alot better and I like the no stretch and of course no line twist and line memory. I would not hesitate to switch to a braid. 20lb is a little thin for my taste. If and when it kinks up or gets tangled that 20 is like untangling spider web. The lowest I will go is 30lb, but the 60lb is on almost all my stuff. I always go heavy, why bring a knife to a gun fight? You loose almost no diameter and your 450 will like the heavier line.

As far as leaders, I use the same philosophy. Stripers are not that leader shy, many sharpies will tell you they are not leader shy at all. Flouro is a bit brittle to tie sometimes and EXPENSIVE. When blues are around I never go lighter than 80lb mono use Momoi if you can. I never use lighter than 60lb. when out front. Blues will not often chomp off a 80lb leader I have caught dozens of 15lb blues on a single leader.

Pre tie about 4 leaders, with a barrel swivel on one end and a coastlock or a doulock clip on the other. Tie them with a clinch knot, 4 turns for 60lb, 3 turns for 80lb. Dont worry it will hold. Keep them looped up and when needed just tie them to the braid with a palomar. Leader length for me is the distance from the rod tip to the first collector guide. So this will change with different rods.

The best part is everything I just told you is totally open to debate, there are guys who swear on mono, or a top shot, or flouro, or a different knots. The fun is in finding out what you like best.

Good luck and keep asking questions.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Okay - you guys have convinced me - I need to try braid. As for 60-80# leaders - will they take action out of a smaller Bomber-type bait?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 AM
SS/Veteran

Not if you use a snap.
Ask most folks I plug at night with,,,,,I dont like Bombers......
I LOVE EM!!