Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-02-2015, 05:46 PM

Default Re: New and what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Yeah we lost 'em.
Its probably for the best. He just saved himself years of getting up at ungodly hours, fishing in hideous weather conditions, withstanding frozen fingers and toes, sleepless nights over the ones that got away, angry wives/girlfriends ect....

PS: How's the spring run going in NJ? Been snooking it up here in FL.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:23 AM

Well I'm still new to this so thanks for all the information. I'm still searching for my first keeper. Any day now
Old 05-03-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTallOne View Post
Well I'm still new to this so thanks for all the information. I'm still searching for my first keeper. Any day now

Same advice - go fish with some of the board members here if you can - I learn every time I fish with a different person
Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Its probably for the best. He just saved himself years of getting up at ungodly hours, fishing in hideous weather conditions, withstanding frozen fingers and toes, sleepless nights over the ones that got away, angry wives/girlfriends ect....

PS: How's the spring run going in NJ? Been snooking it up here in FL.
Hey Kroc
Short bass and big blues for me so far. Kayakers and boats are starting to get some good fish. Snook?!? Isn't that the chick from Seaside
Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Hey Kroc
Short bass and big blues for me so far. Kayakers and boats are starting to get some good fish. Snook?!? Isn't that the chick from Seaside
Too funny. Its a travesty "that chick" from Seaside shares the same name of a great gamefish. Glad to hear you're getting into some nice bluefish action. Stil can't understand why that fish doesn't get more respect from anglers. I really miss catching those beasts. Catch em up.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:26 AM

I will try and ask if someone that lives in the middletown area won't mind me tagging along one day it can be a great learning experience. Most of my trips happen to be last minute though with a couple young kids and a busy wife which makes it tough to plan ahead. Anyways I was wondering at about when in the season or what water temp do you start targeting stripers out front sandy hook area. Thanks a lot for your input
Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTallOne View Post
I will try and ask if someone that lives in the middletown area won't mind me tagging along one day it can be a great learning experience. Most of my trips happen to be last minute though with a couple young kids and a busy wife which makes it tough to plan ahead. Anyways I was wondering at about when in the season or what water temp do you start targeting stripers out front sandy hook area. Thanks a lot for your input

I will PM you my number - I do lots of last minute trips anywhere from Manasquan north usually

And as far as SH - NOW!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 PM
SS/Veteran

[quote=TheTallOne;2409858]I will try and ask if someone that lives in the middletown area won't mind me tagging along one day it can be a great learning experience. Most of my trips happen to be last minute though with a couple young kids and a busy wife which makes it tough to plan ahead. Anyways I was wondering at about when in the season or what water temp do you start targeting stripers out front sandy hook area. Thanks a lot for your input[/QUOTE
When to start out front, about two weeks ago. When the water flowing out of the rivers hit 50 consistently. If there is a big swing in the temps, highs and lows it will shutim down. Steady temps will do the trick.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the offer and message me if you're interested I usually am able to fish after 7-8pm most night thanks. And thanks for the info on the water temp
Old 05-16-2015, 03:21 PM

Guy comes - posts a lot of questions and then vanishes - why even bother replying to these types of threads? Another few minutes of my life gone doing something other then fishing
Old 05-17-2015, 05:58 PM

I'm still here I haven't been able to get out the last couple weeks. I appreciate the input and your offer to meet up captain. I received your message and will send you a text before my next trip out one night this week. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
Guy comes - posts a lot of questions and then vanishes - why even bother replying to these types of threads? Another few minutes of my life gone doing something other then fishing
Capt, even though the target doesn't reply/acknowledge there are a lot of lurkers that I'm sure benefit from the advice. Keep it coming bud someones always listening
Old 05-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Smile am still here...

Hey folks, thanks for the insight, but sorry for "disappearing". I've been a bit tied up getting ready for a 2-week trip to USVI and setting up my AOW diving classes.

This is the first that I see people have recommended I dedicate my BTL II 8000/Penn rod to bait casting duties. Since my first post I did go and make use of a $10-off $50 Dick's coupon and picked up several popular striper/blues lures after reading several lure recommendations elsewhere on the web:

Bomber A-salt - blurple (bought on ebay for $0.14 out of pocket)

I spent $48 at Dick's on:
  • Daiwa Mag Darter(F)
  • Acme Kastmaster 3oz with single hook + white buck-tail
  • Jettycaster 2oz
  • Atom Striper Swiper 3oz
  • Tsunami 6" Swim Shads - Bunker pattern

I also picked up at my two local tackle shops for around $12-$15:
  • Pell's Hi-Lo rig with Gami hooks $2.99
  • 3oz diamond with green tube $2.99
  • Jersey Coast B&T (2) fish-finder rigs in one pack $2.99
  • extra fish finder snaps $1.99
  • (2) 18" 30# black coated wire leaders with wire clips
  • 3, 4, 5oz pyramid sinkers (1 each)

I also have a pack of Eagle Claw Lazer 8/O hooks from the NJ Catch & Release program (these were free).

I went down to my beach's dock one night 2 weeks ago and practiced casting and playing with the Mag Darter, Kastmaster and Bomber. I had two schoolie stripers give chase to my Mag Darter, but no bites - there were thousands of small worm-like organisms swimming around under the lights, so I'm sure the larger fish were gorged. I was able to toss the lures about 50-70 yards with a pendulum type of cast - I was on a dock with moored boats behind me, so didn't have room to cast like I would at the beach.

I experimented with the lures to get a feel for how they worked. It was pretty cool to see how different reel and rod actions produced different swimming effects on the lures. They at least appeared enticing to me

Once I get back from my USVI trip in early June, I intend to get back out and would be happy to meet up with any of you forum folks. I've been mostly mentored by a guy I work with, but am obviously open to the advice from others.

So, given my current "kit", I suppose based on the recommendations so far I should shelf most of the lures and throw fresh bunker/clam - catch on that before moving forward? I presume the only lures I could play with for blues and stripers would be the metals, Bomber and Swim Shads (hoping a Blue doesn't take half of them off, but I purposely went with the larger size to hopefully allure larger stripers.

Once I plate some blues or stripers, then I'll look into fluke rigs. From there, unless otherwise suggested, looking into a second reel/pole dedicated to working lures.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:22 PM

Default Re: am still here...

also, my ~$50 lures purchase pre-dates my coming back to see the "don't invest in lures/do invest in bait rigs" posts.

Fortunately, $50 out of pocket for stuff that I probably could have started with out isn't terribly bothersome. I've made more expensive "mistake purchases" in other interests that were more buyer's remorse inducing.

See pic of what I bought at Dick's for $48.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 PM

A good start. Don't get "hooked" LOL