Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

As a kid I use to take wood dowels and shape them using just sandpaper and a drill. Kept me busy in the winter while the snow was falling. A couple cans of spray paint, heavy wire and single hooks with some bucktail. That's what I used for those blues. Every plug cost me maybe $.50 a plug.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:41 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Don't worry, they'll probably all hide when my boots hit the water.
wait a minute... that's my line
Old 05-07-2019, 06:56 PM
Senior Fellow

went out about 5; full low and really clean water with light south wind; one nice blue 3-4 lbs right in wash on metal; then a 6in bass on the teaser; give him credit for courage with big blues around....or diagnosis as crazy
Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 PM

My buddie had non stop blues in an inlet all day from cocktails to choppers eating anything he threw.
He said there were 3 party boats drifting the inlet and never left.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:41 PM

well, ocean front was still a mess and current was ripping: sputniks or 10+ would not hold.

when tide was getting up went over to the inlet where saw 2 stripers caught (could have been more predawn... I was along the ocean front fighting everything for some stupid reason). One on a plug, one on a chunk 50' to the left of my chunk)

couldn't stay later though I had a feeling that one of the schools that have been frequenting the inlet would come through at some point, besides the few loners.

Ah well, hope to meet up with some club members for flyfishing @ Corsen's next Thursday eve, won't be able to get out again til then.

Oh yeah, almost lost a rod to a 5' stick, combined with the ripping current. In fact it had "disappeared" but miraculously (and I was praying) it showed up in on the beach about 50 yards down current.

Night fishing down here is producing better, of course, was hoping to catch the tail end of it but went to the wrong place, apparently.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Yesterday PM at the Hook I had a slow pick of schoolies and one chopper, all on bucktails.

Yes, I'm spot burning a little with that picture (my first ever uploaded), but anyone who wants to rush there still has to walk the 1.3 miles or so.

It was a cool afternoon for wildlife. A seal kamikazied us on the point for some reason and then fled. Later a whale parked itself inside the green buoy and cavorted for a couple hours. Gobbling up bunker?
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM

great pic, Joe! That place is no secret. Now if you were holding a cow, the pic would be taken down and background blacked out for sure
(edit: and even doing so, *someone* usually chimes in with "I know that sand...." )

had some epic bluefish days on the flyrod out there, end of May.

and that walk has saved many a 30/40 lber... think about carrying one back
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM

I spent a day kayak fishing in Raritan Bay chasing bass in the shallow flats there...7am to 3pm...nice conditions with almost no wind ...fish was scattered all over but once we located a main school it was kind of easy...6 keepers and 10 shorts...trolling Rapala xrap in silver and mojos worked for me ...still no signs of blues there...water temps below 60F and air got over 70F...run into Bill on the water ...thank you for the company
Old 05-08-2019, 07:04 PM

Moco Outfront: Dawn patrol and on the fly.NE wind at the start of incoming. I just missed the gator blues according to reports. There was a strong incoming current and swell ripping the sand while dispersing juvenile sand bugs. I stayed on the spot hoping the "chum" would draw the striped ones near. I got my first fish of the season. A big deal for me was that it was on an experimental spearing imitation that I tied using mylar ribbon and bucktail, in a surf candy like flavor. Next time I won't forget the box of sand bugs I tied. Winter doldrums be damned. All is well let the games begin!
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Senior Fellow

real quiet for us this morning; about a dozen guys stretched down the beach and 3 small bass caught; south wind last night and water a little dirty; been light NE most of day and forecast for tonite so hoping tomorrow improves....nice fish Joe
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
I spent a day kayak fishing in Raritan Bay chasing bass in the shallow flats there...7am to 3pm...nice conditions with almost no wind ...fish was scattered all over but once we located a main school it was kind of easy...6 keepers and 10 shorts...trolling Rapala xrap in silver and mojos worked for me ...still no signs of blues there...water temps below 60F and air got over 70F...run into Bill on the water ...thank you for the company
Good seeing you too Zoran. It's always nice fishing with you and Lee. Besides, I can always learn something from "the oldtimers" I started late and caught 2 keepers and a short. (still swimming as always)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:30 PM

3 smaller Blues at Sandy Hook tonight. Dropped a few and had numerous bumps. Small window just after sunset. Left Bay, Pete, Don LBI, and Hemi. I hope they tell me "you should have stayed"
Old 05-09-2019, 07:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
3 smaller Blues at Sandy Hook tonight. Dropped a few and had numerous bumps. Small window just after sunset. Left Bay, Pete, Don LBI, and Hemi. I hope they tell me "you should have stayed"
Nope
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 AM
SS/Veteran

Nope. You left but you forgot to take your black cloud with you
Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Senior Fellow

good conditions this morning; light NE cleaned the water and had nice white water; action limited to a couple of short bursts of 3-5 lb blues in the wash; ended with a couple and one short bass