Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-25-2016, 08:23 PM

Default IBSP Friday and Saturday

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I have Friday afternoon (after I escape from a conference in AC) all the way through as much of Saturday as I can stand to fish! I'll get a room at the Island Beach Motor Lodge and get up when I feel like it and FISH!

No wife. No kids. No girlfriend, even.

Now that I'm through with my crowing, I would like to get some recommendations for how to optimize my efforts. I expect to throw plugs of some sort through the evening high tide (6:41) and into the falling tide. I've never been to the beach at night in the fall, though. Would anyone be kind enough to give some suggestions?

On Saturday morning I'll stick with plugs, but I don't mind chunking some, if plugging isn't doing it. High tide is at 07:07, which looks pretty good to me.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 PM

Default Re: IBSP Friday and Saturday

At night throw dark colored swimmers (slow retrieve), plastic shads, and bucktails. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:19 AM
Administrator

tcal4404 had good suggestion as I might add top water when light out.
And of course Bait works too.

Oh and don't forget a teaser when using a swimmer style lures.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 AM
SS/Insider

Bait is small. Use smaller 4/5 inch plugs and as mentioned a teaser. Expect lots of hits, sm blues, and hickories. There are bass but they're few and far between. When bass do show it's been my experience that they are in and out in a flash. Gone before you can get another cast or two at them. it's essential to keep on the move. GL
Old 10-26-2016, 01:40 PM

So far so good, and I thank you for the advice. Anyone else, feel free to pitch in.

...based on what I'm reading here, fish are moving and I can do well to just pick a spot and start casting and working my way along the beach. There will be a half moon out and a clear sky, so I will be able to see water moving over bottom structure maybe.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:27 AM

Final report on the trip...

No joy beyond a single Hickory. I fished from IBSP's northern edge down to Seaside Park throwing plugs and BT's. On Saturday morning after sunup I tried bunker on a fishfinder and found none.

It was almost fun watching the crowd of boats hammering fish just over the bar from where I was standing in Berkeley. What a difference 300 yards made!

What a sunrise, though! 20 minutes before the sun actually broke over the horizon a rapier thin sliver of moon rose. Awesome, indeed!
Old 11-01-2016, 07:58 AM
SS/Veteran

too late but for the next time :If your onto bait one method of one which I don't use , but I know a lot of guys do is called snag & drop

Treble snag hook, snag a Bunker / Hickory ( do not reel it in ) let the snagged fish swim around ...then hold on.