Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 04-18-2000, 05:03 PM

Looking for some advice on how to fish live eels. I have heard that they are one of the best baits for stripers, but I haven't really had any luck with them. Looking for suggestions on what type of rig, hook,weights, etc. to use. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Also wondering how to fish them in the Ditch(canal)?

Tight Lines and Screamin' drags
Old 04-18-2000, 05:03 PM

Looking for some advice on how to fish live eels. I have heard that they are one of the best baits for stripers, but I haven't really had any luck with them. Looking for suggestions on what type of rig, hook,weights, etc. to use. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Also wondering how to fish them in the Ditch(canal)?

Tight Lines and Screamin' drags
Old 04-18-2000, 11:41 PM

Gumby , Read some of Franks' books they are very informative. I have fished them with 24" mono leader 30 lb. and 6/0 hook , Come up thru mouth and out 1 eye. Use a soft cast remember it's not a plug. High tide at night is best times. slow retrieve , drop your tip when you feel the hit, then set it . Take your pictures and release the big ones to spawn again or for others to catch. Practice and be patient.In the spring there are alot of seminars you shouldcheck them out. Charley Soares KNOWS ALOT. good luck, Bruce
Old 04-20-2000, 01:37 AM

Gumby
Another Bruce, replys with:
I use a black ball bearing swivel and at least 2 feet of leader to a snelled black Gamakatsu 4, 5, or 6/0 hook (depending on fish size and conditions) I will be trying circles again this year to try and cut down the hooking mortality.
Sometimes I will use a weight, sometimes not. In the canal I probably would not. Bruce told you how to hook them and the only thing I could add is to go get some 3M scrub pads, the green ones, to grab the slippery eels to put on the hooks. It works way better and faster than a rag.
Good luck

------------------
sportfishingcapecod.com

bruce@sportfishingcapecod.com
Old 04-20-2000, 04:29 AM

sliding egg sinker, swivel, leader and 6/0 gamkatsu, use enough weight in current that will hold your bait close to the bottom, a typical canal rig is a 1/2 to 3/4oz rubber core sinker, 50lb test swivel, 50lb test mono leader, and a 7/0 O'shaunessy hook

------------------
Old 04-21-2000, 09:02 AM

Gumby,good advice all ,#6,#7 bait hooks but no smaller. Smaller hooks don't have a big enough gap to get around the cartilage in a big fishes mouth for a good hook set.I hook eels in through the mouth ,run hook down and out throat so smallest amount of hook is exsposed. I find eels stay alive long this way although you may throw a few off when casting.Don't fish big ditch but on beaches no weight and a slow retrieve works well.Some people give fish a 5 count after a fish takes to insure a good set but this puts the eel deepm down the fishes throat and makes for a difficult release.When this happens I cut leader as close to hook as possible quickly and get the fish back in the water. GOOD LUCK !