Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire

Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire Maine & New Hampshire Fishing Reports and Information

Old 01-04-2000, 05:11 PM

Hi, I really want to come down to Maine, but dont know what time of year I can come down when the Striper fishing is hot. So I justed wanted to know what months are usually better for striped bass fishing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
StriperJiggy@aol.com
Old 01-04-2000, 05:11 PM

Hi, I really want to come down to Maine, but dont know what time of year I can come down when the Striper fishing is hot. So I justed wanted to know what months are usually better for striped bass fishing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
StriperJiggy@aol.com
Old 01-08-2000, 08:29 PM
Jeff B

Striper, same question here. I visit Maine quite a bit and usually end up freshwater smallie-chasing. But I'd like to know where along the Northern coast striper fishing might be productive.

No one seems to be monitoring this here forum.

Anyone who can help us out would be appreciated!

------------------
Tight Lines All !
Jeff B.
Old 01-08-2000, 09:12 PM

August worked for me,fishing Popham Beach,
Fox Island and Reid State Park.
Old 01-10-2000, 12:44 AM

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself to everyone that uses the StriperSurf.com message boards.
My name is Eric Mora, I'm a surfcaster and fly fisherman from Southern Maine. I will be posting reports weekly on the Maine and New Hampshire board during the upcoming fishing season, which runs up here from the first of May until mid October. The primary catches for us here in Maine are stripers and bluefish. If any one else is interested in posting reports for New Hampshire and other parts in Maine, such as the Kennebec and Downeast, please feel free. To respond to the question "What time of year is best for fishing Maine? Mid May is great action for schoolie bass, late August is when the bluefish start blitzing our beaches, and the fall migration of big stripers happens the first few weeks in October.

Again I will start the reports in May.
Tight Lines...
Old 01-10-2000, 10:19 AM

This is not a plug for Frank BUT look at Striper Hot Spots and plan your vacations accordingly. By the way advice to all the tourists.."Keep Maine green....bring money" I can remember a day on the beach in Maine when every flycaster for a good hundred yards was from Jersey.. including myself. It is a wonderful State to fish in, I enjoyed my 12 years there and fished both fresh and salt and enjoyed every cast.
Old 01-10-2000, 11:51 AM

Hi Eric,

Not surf related exactly but just curious. Does Maine have any sea-run trout or salmon fisheries? Is that season approaching?

Dave
Old 01-10-2000, 12:16 PM
Jeff B

Hey Eric,
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to your reporting. I'm from Jersey but vacation Maine quite a bit and hope to live there someday.
Another question for you : I usually end up in the northern Down East region. Always Acadia and I have family in Washington County as well (thus the smallie fever come spring spawn!), and I was wondering if stripers frequent the Acadia/Stonington area and further north to Machias and the St.Croix River?
I know the Gulf stream bangs a hard right turn just south of there usually heading east offshore so it's much colder as far as water temp goes, but I have heard conflicting reports of bass in those areas. One guy I met in Calais said they have a steady fishery of stripers in the St.Croix river every year. I really need to learn the water temp ranges and baitfish population as well.
Thanks for setting up this forum .
Any help you can provide would be great.

------------------
Tight Lines All !
Jeff B.
Old 01-10-2000, 07:34 PM

Dave,

There's good fishing right now for sea run brown trout in both the Mousam River in Kennebunk and the Oqunquit River in Oqunquit.
I've been able to get out once since Christmas and caught one nice one in the Mousam. The guys at Elderidge Brothers in Cape Neddick can give some great info on this fishery.
Old 01-29-2000, 12:45 AM

I fish maine every summer on the kennebec river. (late july-late august) There are many charters in the area that can put you onto some great fishing. I've hired the Shark Five/Capt. Barry Gibson out of Boothbay Harbor which was a good trip on hi 24'outrage. Great boat, equipment, Captain and pricey. We caught some quality fish and enjoyed it very much. Last few summers I've gone out with a charter called Kennebec River Fishing, the Capt.s name is , no joke, Capt. Skid Rowe. A freind who is a local up there turned me on to this guy. He runs a pontoon boat from Parker Head out to the Popham Beach area. No frills but very reasonable fare. You show up at the dock pay your $50 and your in. For three summers my buddy and I were the only two on the boat with the exception of last year when we shared it with a brother,father and young son team. When we first got there I thought it was going to be one of those days. But there was plenty of room as his boat is all deck and everybody caught fish. This guy knows the river, how to catch bass and is very conservation minded. I can't find his card right now but i'm pretty confident I have the info correct. If you can't find him post a message and I will clear it up.

Surf fishing on Popham Beach is good also. Live lining eels at night by the fort works for me.

Happy Fishing!