Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire

Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire Maine & New Hampshire Fishing Reports and Information

Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 AM

I'll be making a very brief visit to the Tennants Harbor area at the end of August, and would love to wet a line while I'm there. I'll be in a position to move araound a little, but would be very happy to fish from the rocks at the cove mouth right by my host's house, where I've seen great water movement on the tide changes.
My question would be then, what would you recommend to attract a striper's attention?
I will have my 7 1/2 foot medium action spinning rod with 30lb Power Pro, and I'm used to throwing bucktails of 1/2 to 2 oz. I can bring some metal and some plugs - poppers or swimmers, and have a selection of Storms.
What do you say?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 AM

I'll be making a very brief visit to the Tennants Harbor area at the end of August, and would love to wet a line while I'm there. I'll be in a position to move araound a little, but would be very happy to fish from the rocks at the cove mouth right by my host's house, where I've seen great water movement on the tide changes.
My question would be then, what would you recommend to attract a striper's attention?
I will have my 7 1/2 foot medium action spinning rod with 30lb Power Pro, and I'm used to throwing bucktails of 1/2 to 2 oz. I can bring some metal and some plugs - poppers or swimmers, and have a selection of Storms.
What do you say?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:40 PM

...by the way Tenants Harbor is a tiny place located halfway out a peninsula between St. George and Port Clyde.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:50 PM

I say, try all that stuff until you catch a fish, if you don't, try live lining mackeral if you want the best chance of catching a good striper.
Pray for moving water on the tide around daybreak, or fish at night with big black plugs. Is there any reports of stripers being caught in this spot? If not, you might want to direct your effort to some point or rip nearby.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do my best to find the moving water, and I'll have my black plugs in my bag. I'm going to try to find some mackerals to chunk probably.
I'm coming up to drive a granny back to Philadelphia, and I'm guaranteed a lobster dinner. Catching a fish would be a nice bonus. Luck to you!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 AM

I had my day in the sun and had a wonderful time throwing plugs from the rocks as I walked along the shore. I only saw one nice striper, but that was fine. The water was crystal clear, the osprey were wheeling overhead, the temperature was about 82, and I was as happy a fisherman as could be.
I do have one question though: I caught a bunch of smaller fish in close to the rocks that I couldn't id. They were build like trout, ran 10 to 14 inches long, had cream colored bellies shading to olive backs, and no scales to the touch. Nice littel fish! They were mostly on the ocean facing rocks, not the cove sides. Any ideas of what They might be?
Old 08-30-2004, 04:45 PM

JM...pretty sure they are pollock..they are ofer around the rocks and usually a good sign for some striper action.
jan
Old 08-31-2004, 07:09 AM

Thanks! Pollock was my guess too, based mostly on that wavy medial line. Nice little fish. I don't know when I'll have an opportunity to get back up there, but I believe that folks who can fish that area are very lucky.