Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Default plug info in your book/s

dear mr smarty,
being a relative novice in the plugging world, I was wondering if you could shed some light on surf plugging ? or of all your books which one has the most surf plugging specific info so's i can purchase it ?

thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: plug info in your book/s

I don't remember as there are six books. Probably Striper Surf. There is also a plug section in Trophy Striper. Striper Surf is our top seller.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks Frank ! Ive got the plug bug bad ! i caught a striper last week on a peanut bunker plug [i posted a pix in another thread....].
on the speed of retreive....is there a general rule ,like 'slow' as so many mention...
what kind of retrieves do you recommend....
thanks again
Old 12-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Crusty,
Mr Smarty is being modest. I have all of his books,and as you read through them,you can pick up hints on how to use different plugs,even in the "not how to" books like 20 Years and Eastern Tides.Just have to pay attention to whats written.Plus,you can just come here and ask about a specific plug,like I have done,and not only get good answers from Mr Smarty himself,but many others who have way more experience with them than you and I do.When I first started plugging it was a woeful sight But reading up on it here,and getting pointers from more experienced fishermen,I am doing pretty good with them now.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:04 PM

Thanks,
Ive only read the flysurf fishing book so far...
reason i ask now is that sometimes someone sees me pugging, and they say ..."you should be reeling that in really slooow"...great I thought I was , a good immitation of a wounded/dying/backstroking fish .
Example: A MAC white surfster 6-7" being slowly retrieved , and a guy starts barking at me "SLOW THE TAIL SHOULD STICKUP SLOWER!". LOL I felt like punching him never mind slowing down.
thanks for the help
Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 PM

I've read SS and am reading Trophy Striper. SS is the one to start with.

He has a whole section based on plugs, which is then divided by genre.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Crusty,
Get them all,well worth the money...(have all six...) I bought the fly book for my son for his birthday,and he actually got it,after being read by me... As far as the people telling you how to do it on the beach,if they are someone who is out there all the time,or someone who you fish near on a regular basis,take the advice.Could be the keys to the castle!Others you dont know,take what they offer,and store in the back of your mind.They could be passing along the oats that have already passed through the horse,but sometimes they slip,and pass something on that is useful.
BTW,if you ever see me on the beach,dont take any advice from me... I'm fumbleing around like most of us,and though I throw my ideas out,I'm still learning.Thats the great thing about this passion we enjoy.No matter how you much you know(or think you do,like me )you can always learn something from those who do know,and are only too happy to share with the folks here .
Old 12-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Thanks just ordered it through the paypal above...
Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

You are set for the winter then!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Never be afraid to vary the speed of your retieve to see what will work...I was dragging a Hopkins along the bottom SAt AM figuring they were looking for sand eels after 10 minutes i get a hit shortly after hitting the water, sped up my retrieve, kept it off the bottom...fish on about every third cast with a faster retrieve. Of course Rags wasn't there, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

And yes Striper Surf has a lot of good plug info.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

As I stated before on this site, I have always been 75 percent or so bait and the rest plugs. I have seen a turn around in me this year and from what I have read here MANY members also. Wonder whats up with that. It may be just the pleasure of tricking the fish on a plug other than waiting for a bait hit? Or, maybe, many of the great looking plugs out there are attracting fisherman? Or maybe just something other to do than just standing or sitting waiting for the Striper to hit. Not sure but, I think its a change in me that will stick.

Now what I noticed this fall with my switch to plugs, only one connection, all my catches this year besides the one were on clams. Go figure.

Other than Blues of course, which I have never caught on bait, only plugs..
Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 AM

I started with fly fishing for stripers, and went clam whenever I was stuck at a crowded summer beach with the family. I caught many stripers after taking the advice here and getting the hi/lo + 'fresh' clam.
The plug bug was never big until I started browsing "custom" plugs sections on a couple of 'northern'sites amazing...
ergo the info request.
thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

One time I did a piece for the Fisherman called "Praise the Dead Drift" that was about allowing the plug or fly to just swing under tension acorss current. You would be surprised at how effective that can be as the plug just swings at the speed that the current generates. Once the artificial is against the bank, just rush it in for the next swing.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:52 PM

"Swinging under tension" gets a lot of mentions in Eastern Tides.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:28 AM

thanks ! I reckon on 1-2 more trips this dec then pine away for spring...