Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:34 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Microsoft Issuing Emergency Fix for Browser Flaw

Microsoft Issuing Emergency Fix for Browser Flaw

REDMOND, Wash. (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. is taking the unusual step of issuing an emergency fix for a security hole in its Internet Explorer software that has exposed millions of users to having their computers taken over by hackers.

The ''zero-day'' vulnerability, which came to light last week, allows criminals to take over victims' machines simply by steering them to infected Web sites; users don't have to download anything for their computers to get infected, which makes the flaw in Internet Explorer's programming code so dangerous. Internet Explorer is the world's most widely used Web browser.

Microsoft said it plans to ship a security update, rated ''critical,'' for the browser on Wednesday. People with the Windows Update feature activated on their computers will get the patch automatically.

Thousands of Web sites already have been compromised by criminals looking to exploit the flaw. The bad guys have loaded malicious code onto those sites that automatically infect visitors' machines if they're using Internet Explorer and haven't employed a complicated series of workarounds that Microsoft has suggested.
Microsoft said it has seen attacks targeting the flaw only in Internet Explorer 7, the most widely used version, but has cautioned that all other current editions of the browser are vulnerable.

Microsoft rarely issues security fixes for its software outside of its regular monthly updates. The company last did it in October, and a year and half before that.
------
On the Net:
Microsoft's security advisory:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/961051.mspx

THIS POST WAS MADE ON A MAC

Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Microsoft Issuing Emergency Fix for Browser Flaw

Thanks for the heads up.
Fixes came thru today if you have auto updates turned on (in windows of course).
Don't you just love news stations though? Just like when the tell the terrorists to leave their IDs and cell phones home. You know when they caught the guys in India, or when the broke the news we were tracking Bin Laden by his cell.
Even though there's a need for a free press, there aught to be some amount of common sence involved.
I guess I'm just getting old and crotchety with these winter winds.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

I have temporairly switched to Firefox, I DON'T NEED ANYMORE PC PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Firefox keeps crashing for me, I'm sticking with Seamonkey even though it's an older codebase that many sites don't like much.