Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM

Smile two handed overhead fly rods

I?ve been fly fishing in saltwater (stripers, Blues, sea trout, etc.), for well over 45 years with single handle rods from 7 to 10 weight. Presently, I decided to try 2 handed overhead rods to achieve more distance only when needed. I just bought the new 11 foot, 8 weight, Deer Creek TFO 2 handed rod. (Mfg Recommendations - 400-600 gr. or7-10 weight lines)
Three Questions-
a) Suggest a manufacturer?s line for maximum casting distance in 3? deep flats, (light winds), an Intermediate line.
b) Suggest another manufacturer?s line for fly fishing from a jetty into 25? of water depth, (light winds), a medium sinking line.
c) Finally, suggest a line for fishing the heavy surf, (moderate winds), probably medium sink line.fficeffice" />
I assume that fly lines would either be heads with looped running lines, integrated line heads, or Weight Forward lines.
A tough question, but would really appreciate recommendations from experienced 2 handed overhead anglers. Much thanks!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: two handed overhead fly rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined View Post
A tough question, but would really appreciate recommendations from experienced 2 handed overhead anglers. Much thanks!

I have only tinkered once or twice with a two hander, and haven't really experienced anything that would lead me away from standard fused lines across the board. The only thing that would seperate a two handed line from a single would be over all length of the running line to make 130'+ casts, and I don't think they are made.

Hope this helped.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM

I think the first thing you have to decide is what kind of line you want. Because you have a short spey rod I feel you have to go with a shorter head line, either a Skagit or
a Scandi. Because you are fishing in winds, and because you'll probably fish heavy flies I'd go with a Skagit. This will also allow you to retrieve the most line after the cast. (With long-head lines you don't retrieve at all or very little.)

(I like a shooting head system. That way I can use one reel/spool for different lines, which in the long run saves me a lot of money.)

With a Skagit line you might need a "Cheater" depending on the length of your rod. I'd also go with a spey leader like a Rio Versitip.

Any of the top line companies make good lines. You can call Rio and speak to a rep and get some good advice.

Also, you can get some good advice here:
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/

Randy Kadish
Old 02-22-2009, 02:34 PM
S/S INSIDAH

I just picked up a TH rod too. 14' Cabelas model. Didn't spend to much to try it. I'm gonna try it in the rivers near my house with a classic spey line. I do have one friend that's gonna help me out with it.
Looking forward to more posts on this topic.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 AM

You can get a lot of help here:

www.speycave.com/speyclave

Randy