Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Thumbs up Fly Fishing the Striper Surf

Frank,

I just finished reading "Fly Fishing the Striper Surf". It was informative and enjoyable reading. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

King Cod
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Fly Fishing the Striper Surf

Thanks, King. When I formulated the book, I was excited because no one had ever narrowed salt water fly fishing down to the same specifics as I -- Stripers, shore, fly fishing. No boat fishing, no inshore, no other species. Look at what is out there closely and you will see that the other books sought to be all things to all situations whereas I remainded committed to the title. I hope this thread generates lively discussion because it is a favorite subject of mine.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 PM

Welcome to a couple of years of frustration, or at least until you get the basics down. Be sure to crimp down your hook barbs, it makes it easier to remove them from the back of your neck!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM

People often fly fish for the wrong reasons and that can give fly fishing the striper surf a bad name. I would never go down the beach with just a fly rod. You fly fish because the conditions permit it and the bait demands it along with limited results with more common equip. One of the worst places to fly fish is on an open beach in the surf. Better to have protected water, light surf or both.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I can say for a fact there have been times (multiple) that I hit the beach *without* fly gear that I regretted, and times i hit the beach with *only* fly gear that I regretted.... so I definitely try to bring both.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Most of us like a challenge and of course most often we catch and release so why not make it more challenging then to catch the whopper with a fly.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:49 AM

When you have fly fished all your life, you don't see any challenge. It is just another way to fish. Sometimes, but not always, better. Newbies think that fly fishing is cool but I don't relate to that. Dynamite is cool.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambellies View Post
Welcome to a couple of years of frustration, or at least until you get the basics down. Be sure to crimp down your hook barbs, it makes it easier to remove them from the back of your neck!
Ouch... Show me your scars

King Cod
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I can say for a fact there have been times (multiple) that I hit the beach *without* fly gear that I regretted, and times i hit the beach with *only* fly gear that I regretted.... so I definitely try to bring both.
Thanks ... that is the plan ...

King Cod
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Thumbs up Re: Fly Fishing the Striper Surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
People often fly fish for the wrong reasons and that can give fly fishing the striper surf a bad name. I would never go down the beach with just a fly rod. You fly fish because the conditions permit it and the bait demands it along with limited results with more common equip. One of the worst places to fly fish is on an open beach in the surf. Better to have protected water, light surf or both.

The plan is estuaries and salt ponds, and inlets off the jetty ... Also the flats and rip off Stage harbor/light house beech down from Hardings beach.

King Cod
Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Those are good places to fly fish. Avoid having anybody fishing downtide in case you have to chase a bass.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 PM

A lot of traditional surfmen oppose fly fishing as a means of dangerously exhausting stripers. I have never seen evidence of that, especially resent years where we release so many fish and don't see anything washing up dead.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Just finished reading "fly fishing the Striper Surf". I have never fly fished and probably never will, but I really enjoyed this book and learned quite a bit about fly fishing and striper fishing. This book also contained the greatest passage of any fishing book I have ever read: "If a lifetime in the striper surf has taught me anything, it is that some people never get over their fear of darkness. Even Death Before Dishonor-tatooed ex-marines were spoiled by too many nights moving around in darkness with an armored infantry division. In the striper surf you go alone..."
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks, Kroc. I love my e-hugs. Don't tell anybody I said this, and I will deny it later, but a lot of times I sit and enjoy my own books. I thing that often comes through is that once a few years go by the author is a different person so the reader is no longer reading himself. Rather, he is reading someone he has come to admire. Dumb isn't it?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
A lot of traditional surfmen oppose fly fishing as a means of dangerously exhausting stripers. I have never seen evidence of that, especially resent years where we release so many fish and don't see anything washing up dead.

Good point Frank, The only place I've ever sen dead bass washing up is at Race Point. Usually schoolies, after the guys with their 4 rods apiece, spread out for 100 feet have fished bait through the night. Lots of gut hooked fish.