Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Announcements & Private Forums > TrophyRigs.com

TrophyRigs.com TrophyRigs.comQuestions and information about custom made Trophy Fishing Rigs

Old 12-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Default Fish Finder in the surf?

I mainly fish NJ's flat sand beaches and have mostly used clams when bait fishing. I'm determined to learn to use heads and large chunks next year when there are large bass around. I'm confused about the correct way to use a fishfinder rig in the surf. I like to keep a tight line when using a standard bottom rig. This allows me to sense if my weight is holding and hits from smaller fish are instantly recognizable. The few times I tried a fishfinder, I was uncomfortable that my main line was so slack. It seemed that the breakers were just pushing my line around. I would really appreciate advise on the best way to present large chunks from the beach.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Fish Finder in the surf?

Fish Finder rig or high/low I still keep the main line tight.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I agree with Jess.

The slapshot rig, or a much shorter leader on the "live line" rig, also works best for casting.

for me there are 2 scenarios in the surf: 1. dropper loops with essentially no "leader", the bait is nearly stationary and 2. rig with a leader, meaning the bait is drifting with the waves / current.

had side by side scenarios where one worked over the other, both ways.

yeah, I know it's junk science... but it works for me
Old 12-27-2010, 01:08 PM

I have gone to dropper loops - no leader - although the loops are typically 4-6 inches. Only exception is if there are big blues around - then I add a 6 inch steel leader to keep from being cut off. Since I use a 40lb mono leader for the surf (attached to braid so I can cast farther without emptying my reel) I don't see much of a need for long leaders - the bait will always move enough even with a short leader in the surf due to the great amount of current normally present if there is any type of wave action occuring. I always use a tight line & circle hooks - they will hook the fish without my needing to set them - great for dead sticking. I am always casting a lure with my other rod so this setup works great for my. 80% of my bites end up hooked with this setup & I suspect much of the 20% misses is due to smaller fish or crabs. I also think the shorter leader leads to fewer swallowed hooks - seem very rare with circle hooks.

Tip-of-the-day: A captain in Fl showed us a trick for safely removing circle hooks from big bass if the are hooked deeper in the mouth - cut your line & then carefully reach in thru the gill from below & work the hook out - it works - its almost impossible to do this from the mouth & with line attached since you have to rotate the circle hook quite a bit to get it out - thats why circle hooked fish rarely get off.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Tonyc1 Great way of removing deep hook. It worked this spring when I deep hooked a LM Bass with a Senko.People say just cut the line and the hooks rusts out ,but i don't think so.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 AM

I would like to order a Trophy Fishfinder rig that would be appropriate for here in South Jersey, I was thinking of going with the size 7 circle hook setup with the 30" leader - does this sound for use with an 8 or 12' rod for surf and jetty? I plan on using mostly bunker chunks and salted clam for bait.

I'm also having trouble keeping clam on the hook, does anyone use the baitholder hooks(hook with attaching spring) in the surf?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Sorry, couldn't edit my last post,

I ordered the Trophy fishfinder rig with 7/0 Circle hooks, I was going to go with the 30" leader but I saw a post where Bob says to use a 24" for the surf - the 30" would be better for boat fishing?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD 6 View Post
Sorry, couldn't edit my last post,

I ordered the Trophy fishfinder rig with 7/0 Circle hooks, I was going to go with the 30" leader but I saw a post where Bob says to use a 24" for the surf - the 30" would be better for boat fishing?
Yes, 30", 36" & 48" for boat fishing. Surf Fishing 24" all the way down to 6". I normally use 24" or 18". Longer makes it more difficult to cast.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM

I was away for a few days and came back to find my order in the mail - great stuff! Very high quality and a great price, even with shipping it was cheaper than going to the local B&T or Sporting goods store, thanks Bob!