Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Water Column?

Hello Frank,
thank you for all the good advice. It truly helped me over the past several years. I fish the NJ surf and many times, the fish are at at your knees or too far to reach from the beach. I like top water plugs, and my question is, when you speak of water column, how much depth are we speaking about? I see some nice size fish cruising in water as shallow as two feet, hence at the knees, and the depth on the NJ beaches including the drop-offs ranges from about 2 to 8 feet, the usual area where you will land your catch. Is that a big enough difference to make you decide on whether to use a surface plug, a mid water swimmer, or a bottom lure? To put it another way, do you think bass look two feet up or down when looking to eat, or do they all get together and say today, no one is allowed to swim any higher than 3 feet above the bottom?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Water Column?

A lot of what you describe over Jersey surf is what I am used to in New England. But there can be a big difference between eight feet and two feet. Then you get into depth with current, say one of the Rhody breachways. A further exaggeration of depth and current would be the Cape Cod Canal where you really have to penetrate the water column. Dealing with these two becomes an exercise in extremes calling for no small effort for the surfcaster. A well known failing of plug fishing is that they don't go down fast enough which forces the use of bucktails or other forms of metal. Fly fishing one changes line sink rates to get down. Yes, I think the bass routinely look two feet up or down, even more. My experience with all fish supports this. But I doubt that they have meetings and get together about anything. What they do is react to certain stimuli in similar ways. (At least I think that is what they said they do.) Top water plugs get their attention and are popular as a result so you could do worse, Art.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM

I use topwater plugs from a kayak... er I mean from a beach I know where there is a large flat 4- 6 feet deep or more .. and they work.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

One time in Maine I saw a landlocked salmon on the bottom in 12 feet of water. I drifted a small dry fly over him on the top and he came up and smacked it! They can see.