Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Announcements & Private Forums > TrophyRigs.com

TrophyRigs.com TrophyRigs.comQuestions and information about custom made Trophy Fishing Rigs

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 AM

Default Breakaway type FF rig?

Hi Bob, was wondering if you have sell a type of fishfinder rig where the hook separates from the mainline/sinker when it comes into contact with the water? Have seen a few online but wasn't sure how they worked, I have seen them with a Sputnik type of sinker at the end, I have seen best results using the slapshot rig I got off you last year and was looking for something similar, thanks
mike
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Default Re: Breakaway type FF rig?

I do not make that type of rig for a couple of reasons; First the added overhand knot to hold the "hook cup" in place diminishes the strength of the rig. I had a few tested several years ago in a professional lab in Princeton, NJ, (by a friend, after hours, for a very, very small "fee" ) they all broke at far less than rated line test. I know that sounds weird but they all broke at the overhand knot.

Number two, too much time wasted cutting the bait down to size so the hook clips on the "hook cup."

Number three, fishing with small bait is kind of ridiculous.

YES I know the rig works, they cast farther and some people love them but most people, including me, are more interested in catching fish than distance casting.

That's my 2 cents, why not buy a few, give them a try and let me know your opinion. I'm only asking because I figured out a way to hold the "hook cup" in place that eliminates the overhand knot but the labor to tie and assemble is substantial. I can't compete against a rig tied by a girl in the Philippines, Cambodia or Thailand, unless I copy their shortcuts and I will never do that!

Besides that I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Breakaway type FF rig?

OK thanks Bob, all your points make perfect sense, if I see any in the local shops I'll try one out but in the mean time I'll stick to the slapshot rig which works very good, better than the traditional FF rig where the sinker is on the bottom.

I would like to order some more of the green fish finder slides you sell, I'll wait until I need other tackle so I only have to pay for shipping once.