Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - CT and RI

Fishing - CT and RI Connecticut and Rhode Island Fishing Reports and Information

Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Carcieri vetoes saltwater fishing license legislation

Carcieri vetoes saltwater fishing license legislation
10:15 AM Thu, Nov 05, 2009 Amanda Milkovits

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Calling saltwater fishing in Rhode Island "a birthright," Governor Carcieri vetoed legislation that would have imposed a $7 annual license fee for saltwater fishing.

The General Assembly approved legislation last week that would, for the first time in Rhode Island's history, impose a license fee on anyone angling in the saltwater along the state's coast, starting Jan. 1. The state already charges $18 for a freshwater fishing license.

Congress mandated the licensing of all saltwater fishermen several years ago, aiming to establish a more reliable way of tracking recreational fishing. Any state without a registry would have to submit to federal licensing, which costs more than the proposed $7 fee for Rhode Island.

But in his veto message to Senate President M. Teresa Paiva Weed on Thursday, the governor said the federal government was going too far.

"This is the Ocean State," Carcieri stated. "It is a place where people have been free, up to now, to cast a line into Narragansett Bay without government intrusion."

Carcieri cited the 10th Amendment, which states that "powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

To which Carcieri added, "Mandating that all persons seeking to cast a fishing line in Narragansett Bay for the purposes of recreational fishing should be required to pay an annual licensing fee and register with the government is excessively intrusive."

http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/11/saltwater-fishing-license-unco.html
Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Thumbs up Re: Carcieri vetoes saltwater fishing license legislation

that is some damm good news for a change.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
hardluck_ole

Default Re: Carcieri vetoes saltwater fishing license legislation

too bad wpro said its a veto proof house on the hill keep your fingers crossed
Old 11-07-2009, 01:21 PM

To anyone that thinks this is good news........................
Do you know what happens next?
Do you understand the process that brought a better option than the Fed program?
The license would have saved anglers monies, protected the proceeds to be used for the resource, and offered reciprocity to states that offered it back.
Now, if this doesn't get an over ride, you will pay more than 3 times the 7 dollars, have to pay out of state fees to the states where you cross state boundaries, and the money goes to the Crack head welfare fund also known as the Federal general fund. There will be no set aside for return of funds to the resource as the state bill specifically did.
It was a law that was researched, argued, and settled by near fist fights. The hours of research, and deliberation are now in the toilet with the idea that it saves you 7 bucks.
Reach deeper because the feds will institute the NOAA registry here, and enforce it with federal fines and penalties. The current estimate of the cost to angler is at 25 right now, but is estimated to go as high as double, as the states that do not institute their own system will be burdened to finance the entire federal program.
I've been involved in this fight/issue for more than 2 years. Tried to go the constitutional route. It will not work. Precedent is set by the Migratory Bird Act, and the HIP program governing waterfowl. By targeting the Bass and Salmon the feds will be able to use that act for precedent.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaugeri View Post
that is some damm good news for a change.

No it isn't, no reciprocal license available to us in RI now. FED $25 CT $60, MA $?

what a great deal our Gov gave us. No wonder our economy stinks in RI and is getting worse.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 AM

I am new to RI and used to freshwater fishing so going without a license seems odd to me. Can anyone please explain to me the current state of RI licensing for recreational saltwater fishing? I registered with the NOAA program for free but what is this business about a federal registration? Am I required to carry one yet? The RI DEM website is not very informative. Thanks a bunch.

BTW, I am a second year law student and I find the stance taken by the governor to be invigorating. One thing I appreciate about RI is the penchant for free access to coastal lands. In NJ, you can't be on the beach past 10pm in a lot of areas and I find that reprehensible.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:39 PM
SS/Veteran

damm straight,maybe if some of the politictions had some balls we wouldent need all this crap. jersey had a gay one,new yorks is blind,give me a break,we dont want a damm license. it should not be rammed down our throats, lets face facts ,what will we get for our money? just more flawed data.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaugeri View Post
damm straight,maybe if some of the politictions had some balls we wouldent need all this crap. jersey had a gay one,new yorks is blind,give me a break,we dont want a damm license. it should not be rammed down our throats, lets face facts ,what will we get for our money? just more flawed data.

I agree. I mean, I'm a federalist in the strictest sense of the word and when regulation is needed, I would prefer the state to get the job done rather than the federal government find another way to get its grubby fingers in yet another aspect of our lives but still, the ocean? Come on! At what point do natural resources remain public? I run the same five mile loop everyday along Bristol Harbor and in that five miles alone, I pass no less than four public right-of-ways on the water. You don't find that in New Jersey, MA, NH, CT, ME, or New York. I don't follow local politics in this state much but if I was a RI voter, Carcieri would have my vote for reelection on this basis alone.

However, there is a flip-side to the fisheries regulation coin. I highly recommend anyone interested in this issue to read a short paper by Garrett Hardin called The Tragedy of the Commons (google it). It deals with the pitfalls of unfettered use of natural resources held in the public trust. It goes against my personal beliefs but in all fairness, it poses a very real perspective on the idea of unregulated natural resources such as fisheries. Check it out.

Also, it is now commonly accepted in the fisheries regulation world that recreational fisherman constitute the largest collective group of conservationists in the world. Sport fishing is not the problem and hence should not be regulated. Commercial fishing is the issue. Besides, what is the problem the government is trying to solve? Our target species are not in dire straits. I'll agree that when the striped bass fishery was on the verge of collapse, regulation would have served a very real purpose (and it did), but now, regulation would merely be a moot point.