Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Team SS

Question Please Help surf fishing Brigantine

Hello
I?m hoping for a little local help here please.
I?m spending Weds evening ? Thursday afternoon in Brigantine.
I want to take to do a little surf fishing w/ my son. I was hoping to take an early morning sunup/incoming surf walk casting bucktails and teasers(gulp) at rips and troughs for fluke or what ever. I called Riptide and they said that fluke don?t hang out in Brigantine front surf because it is too rough, bass are done and blues are just starting to appear and my best bet is to explore for Northern Kingfish w/ bloods.
Are these true
Is anyone catching anything recently in the Brig? surf other that Kings on bloods? Is it even worth tossing bucktials/teasers? Are the kings reliable enough to warrant buying bloods and targeting them? Any other advice? PM?s are always appreciated
Thanks
JD
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Please Help surf fishing Brigantine

JD,As you cross the bridge into Brigantine, on your left hand side there is a pull off spot. You can park there and walk down to the old causeway bridge. Fluke, weakies. and kingies. Not into tog fishing, but I know some guys that go there for them. If possible, stay there until dark and watch Harrahs lite up. pretty cool. Going the other way, I would drive to the end of the seawall @ the north end. Right out front is a nice little hole,( but I didn't tell you).plus port-a-pots. Good luck, Joe.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 PM

Brigantine has a very flat front beach; there are rips and troughs but understand such structure will only be differentiated by a foot or two from the sandbar.

Fishing clean water is important when targeting Fluke. Fluke generally don't like to be in areas of suspended sand hence the statement about it being "too rough" for them in this extended, shallow surf (breaking waves) zone.

When in Brigantine looking out over the ocean, one notices that from the water's edge out sometimes 200 yards the water is brownish; that is suspended sand and particulate matter and it creates a strong division between clean and dirty water. Fluke will usually not enter that dirty zone.

Usually a good Kingfish beach is a lousy Fluke beach. Kingfish like the constant wave disruption of the sand; it exposes the invertebrate morsels they feed on. Fluke don't like it because it uncovers them and makes it tough to breathe, being that when hidden they only use the top gill flap to "exhale" their gill area becomes congested. It's like us trying to breathe in a smoke filled room.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Team SS

Thanks for the tips.
Great explaination of surf conditions and fluke & Kigfish. I didn't know that but it totally makes sence.
JD
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Fantastic explanation, and very interesting. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Team SS

You're correct about the shallow gradual slope. Stiff wind, dirty surf w/ weeds. Bloods on king rigs = nada.
Thanks for the advice.
JD
Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

JD,

It's been a tough year for kings down there. I haven't gotten a single king yet in Brigantine or Ventnor. Last year I was catching them with regularity by this time... on bloods OR fishbite bloods.

this is from June 19 2008

Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Team SS

Thanks Rob.
That's a nice bunch there, especially the one big one. They're not flashy or impressive but put up a nice figh for their size on light tackle and taste great! If one is lucky enough to find a hungry school it fun action.
Back to flukin' for now.
Tight lines!
JD