Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 PM

Question CHSP Delaware vs IBSP NJ structure

I'm vacationing and possibly looking to retire in Delaware beach area.
I plug IBSP area to Monmouth County because of the nice troughs that appear in close along the surf.
Does CHSP have similar structure or is it a flat area more like Brigantine where you need 10ft + rods just to reach the fish?
I'd appreciate any info or insight..
Tight lines
Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: CHSP Delaware vs IBSP NJ structure

Afaik, it's flat as a pancake.

But if you look back there were one or two guys from down there who posted here and maybe trying to contact them directly may yield a knowledgeable answer!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Jon, you're too young to retire. Nice area though.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:53 AM

Cool Re: CHSP Delaware vs IBSP NJ structure

Well, Bob...
Amy's a sophomore in high school, my pension is being threatened yet again by Christie, Delaware beaches are flat as a pancake...and I'm only 52... No retirement any time that I can see... I spoke with some guys with trucks on the beach at Cape Henlopen State Park and aside from a very fast spring and fall run (if they stay close to the beach) any real fishing in southern Delaware is a boat on the bay gig. In summer most guys just throw out metals to be "actively engaged" in fishing.

I think I'll probably just stay here and plug our beaches....
We really do have a unique opportunity the way we fish here.
By the way, Eric is 17 and has been working at the Hook House for 3 years now.
He's become quite the fisherman.

At least I have some vacation time this fall. I'll touch base when it's plugging time.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 PM

Not only flat and VERY shallow but 90% of the time it is very dirty

Not a place anyone usually throws lures much

However, in the spring you can catch big drum and weakies off the beaches
Old 11-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
Well, Bob...
Amy's a sophomore in high school, my pension is being threatened yet again by Christie, Delaware beaches are flat as a pancake...and I'm only 52... No retirement any time that I can see... I spoke with some guys with trucks on the beach at Cape Henlopen State Park and aside from a very fast spring and fall run (if they stay close to the beach) any real fishing in southern Delaware is a boat on the bay gig. In summer most guys just throw out metals to be "actively engaged" in fishing.

I think I'll probably just stay here and plug our beaches....
We really do have a unique opportunity the way we fish here.
By the way, Eric is 17 and has been working at the Hook House for 3 years now.
He's become quite the fisherman.

At least I have some vacation time this fall. I'll touch base when it's plugging time.

Hi Jon - I'm late getting in on this thread but am one of the lower DE members that someone referred to. Born and raised in Lewes, 58yrs old. I can tell you that life here has become all but unbearable for everyone including those relocating here as I type by the thousands. Last year DE sold 14,000 beach tags and I'm pretty sure less than 4000 were sold to DE locals. We only have literally, a couple miles of fishable beach. This year the greedy state of DE is trying to pass a bill to allow all tourists to buy surf tags for their SUVs with no requirement that they must fish. Can you imagine? We have over 100,000 visitors in tiny Sussex County every day from early spring thru late fall and then for Christmas shoppers leading up and thru Christmas. The only periods now with local traffic only for the most part, are Jan and Feb.

I heard on the news last week that 50% of NJ residents are looking to relocate for lower taxes and guess where the majority think they are coming? Sussex County DE. I have never seen anything like this in all my life. We have greedy politicians setting up DE Tourism websites and youtube channels promoting the area... we have Beach TV highlighting every square inch of my home area, 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, of course always showing every venue like there is no traffic and no mobs of people. They show every menu from every restaurant... they even show our high school football games with romantic and dramatic discussions about long time rivalry between schools. It's horrible. Every local is furious and near the point to explode in anger. Almost all our wide open farmland is being developed at the speed of light and people from other states are the only folk that can afford to buy and build so lower Delaware is gone... the quaint one time nice place to be... gone. All we have now is bumper to bumper traffic year round and fire whistles going off 3 times a day for car accidents when it was 3 times a week up until 2 yrs ago. I am not exaggerating.

I work part time at a local grocery store and without ever bringing up these topics to customers, I have them telling me how angry they are to have just moved here to discover life here is horrible. America needs to get back to thinking for themselves and not buying everything sold to them by marketing and promoting experts at real estate offices.

About fishing.. your friends are right that we have very little contour around the beaches in lower DE. Mostly flat and it turns coffee brown after only one day of mild wind - because there are large clay deposits exposed under the water all around the bay and ocean beaches... the clay gets dispersed and stays in the water for days after the wind subsides. We have many fall periods pass us by unfishable because of prevailing north winds and dirty, rough water. Worse than this, the fish have been gone since late 80s early 90s. We do get a short run of decent stripers most years but not all and they are usually only in one place - IRI. Boats get them also.

I think you know about my youtube channel but if you haven't seen it yet here a video from last week demonstrating my jubilation catching one short - the hardest hit I had in years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF4qQUFgwGc

I have been keeping my eyes open for prospects to leave my home town after living here all my life just to get out of this horrible madhouse. I want to be in a place where the traffic is not bumper to bumper and where I'm not hearing the fire whistle every few minutes. Sorry to be so negative. As much as I oppose people selling farmland to developers in my area I would welcome a fellow brother of the surf, like you. Fishing is much better north of DE and has been more than 2 decades. I try to fish spots where I can enjoy a few minutes of privacy and the water... but its very difficult to achieve.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 PM

Wow I wish I would have read this before my last vacation to CHSP. Oyster you hit the nail on the head. Your post is dead on. I did notice all the construction and congestion was far worse than prior years.