Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: New bass book.

I have read and enjoyed all of your books Frank. Next winter I'm going to start my second tour of my fishing book shelf. Yours are very comfortable and entertaining reads. Call of the Surf is admittedly another of my favorites but likely because the focus is on fishing grounds with which I was intimate. Were I not too damned lazy I would write a book based upon interviews with some of the successful drum fishermen of past and preset days whom I know. They seem to be more reluctant to share then a number of striper guys.....but that's why they make scotch and IPAs, info can be coerced!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 03-13-2018, 01:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Thank you, Al. Its important for readers to understand that book authors not only need to know their subject but they must also know how to make writing interesting in a way that entertains the reader. When serving the reader it is important that information be truthful. If the numbers are not possible, say, 40 stripers over 30 pounds, as an example and the guy took them home in a Volkswagon bug, there is something wrong. Such exaggerations destroy reader confidence and the book will not be read much further.

Inform and entertain, two requirements that call for talent in writing which has little to do with fishing. We are all in trouble if a person writes a book because he caught a big striper one time. There is more to it than that.

Frank Woolner once warned me to stay in teaching where I could enjoy a living wage with security and health insurance. He was right. Writing is okay for fooling around and, above all, stay married and don't borrow money.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
With over 96 species of fish taking on rod &reel from Canada to South America , I would never think of putting pages together along with some tall tales . It would take too much time in doors , not worth dealing with media relations & possible partners to get it published . I don?t need the money as I have no friends anyway . And with this face the Lord has blessed me with ( Charlton Heston look a like ) it might get me in trouble with the younger broads . So there you have it . I?ll just continue to re read Mr. D?s collection which I have . Be happy !
I'm worried about that mirror you use in the AM. "Mirror , mirror on the wall............"
Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
I have read and enjoyed all of your books Frank. Next winter I'm going to start my second tour of my fishing book shelf. Yours are very comfortable and entertaining reads. Call of the Surf is admittedly another of my favorites but likely because the focus is on fishing grounds with which I was intimate. Were I not too damned lazy I would write a book based upon interviews with some of the successful drum fishermen of past and preset days whom I know. They seem to be more reluctant to share then a number of striper guys.....but that's why they make scotch and IPAs, info can be coerced!
Familiarity with the sight is always a welcome addition to my way of thinking. I have read any number of books set in my old stomping grounds, places I have visited and took some time to learn about, and situations I have encountered. Not to change the subject.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM
SS/Veteran

I often read a book a few years later that I first read years before. For instance I am reading The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors for the second time.

One fault in most striper books is that the authors lack literary exposure and have no writing experience. It seems to me that an author should have a background in magazine writing before doing a book.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 PM
take a kid fishing

That's a generous helping of advice offered above by Mistah Frank. Only thing I would add is to write because you love to - or you at least enjoy doing it. Because it is work, and as Frank said, it should always be done with the patient reader in mind. Don't talk in riddles, get to the point - making the reader slog through unnecessary words only slows them down and eventually makes them stop reading.

And I think most of us know the book of exaggeration to which Mistah Frank refers to. It's unfortunate, because that author may have had some good stuff to offer but he lost credibility with his claims. I only ran into him on the beach a couple of times, and we didn't exactly slay them

Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 PM
SS/Veteran

The author we are both talking about is Cinquimoni in his rendition of Billy the Greek. I am presently re-reading his book and am astounded at the literary talent Cinquamoni exhibits in his writing. It is a case of being talented with language on one hand and unable to deal with the logistical issues of bass catching/carrying and landing within the natural time restraints. Language-wise the author is talented and effective; but his numbers are unrealistick. What the author has to work on is truth; otherwise, if I were an editor I would want him on my staff because the sonofabitch knows language. He provides clarity and excitement in his depiction of "the Greek". But you can't catch 40 big fish in 80 minutes. This from a person who has caught 10 big fish in 160 minutes and even stopped to piss while fishing.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 PM
take a kid fishing

I owe Mr. Cinquimoni an apology - as you pointed out, the writer and the storyteller are two different people in this case. My memory is defective sometimes, as it was here when I combined the two people into one.

I was so distracted by the numbers that I couldn't give the writing the attention it deserved.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 AM
SS/Veteran

I too was distracted by his numbers. It makes you wonder if outdoor writing is being governed by the exaggerations of the author. For instance, Mr Smarty gets 7 stripers over fifty pounds and Mr Blowhard gets 8 over fifty. There for, by extension, Blowhard is a better fishermen or a better author. Next we get into the logic of the reader and that too can get misdirected. Whose fault is it that the reader is taken in so easily?

In the rest of the literary world, that is non-fishing, readers seek entertainment; but in fishing, on the other hand, readers judge a book by the size or number of the fish, which can be wildly exaggerated.

Personally, books have been good to me, providing success, satisfaction and income. But the world of fishing books has changed, has evolved into non-performance. That is why I stopped writing books.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM
SS/Veteran

The choice of subjects is a major consideration for book authors. You have to understand the market. A how-to book sells better than a warm read like Eastern Tides. People want to learn how to rig an eel as opposed to a good story. My conceptual error in Eastern Tides is that I failed to anticipate what the market valued. I had wanted ET to be my best work and was such a disappointment that it turned me away from book writing. A steady dribble of articles, like I do now, is a better venture because it calls for less investment of effort on my part.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I too was distracted by his numbers. It makes you wonder if outdoor writing is being governed by the exaggerations of the author. For instance, Mr Smarty gets 7 stripers over fifty pounds and Mr Blowhard gets 8 over fifty. There for, by extension, Blowhard is a better fishermen or a better author. Next we get into the logic of the reader and that too can get misdirected. Whose fault is it that the reader is taken in so easily?

In the rest of the literary world, that is non-fishing, readers seek entertainment; but in fishing, on the other hand, readers judge a book by the size or number of the fish, which can be wildly exaggerated.

Personally, books have been good to me, providing success, satisfaction and income. But the world of fishing books has changed, has evolved into non-performance. That is why I stopped writing books.
I judge the majority of fishing books by the numbers of interesting characters, the hunt properly developed, all the shennanigans to to keep secrecy and what I believe ( or not ) is truth. Character development, sometimes brief, is very key to the whole experience. I could care less if you catch 10 or 10,000 fish. In Mr. Smarty's case I'm certain of the truth and entertained by the rest. Not bad to learn something along the way as a bonus.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM
SS/Veteran

There could be exceptions because all generalizations are dangerous, including my own. But I resent writers who have never sold a single magazine article having the audacity to write a book. Talk about being delusional about one's literary talents.

Then we have the guys who have never been here in their lives who self-publish a book then come here hoping to sell it. They sell a few then never come back. Causes me sever rectal bleeding.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 PM

That's why I'm never writing a book. Wouldn't want to cause that. Eek.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM
SS/Veteran

One problem with the Internet is that anonymity opens the door to really unsavory, shokwas who don't function with any rules. Years ago I was very close to an engineer in industry and we did a lot of hunting together becoming very close. Years went by and he came to this blog. He was such a PIA our guys had to ban him, shut him down.

Nice people go on the Internet and become changed for some reason.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 AM
SS/Veteran

When a person joins here and registers, if he is too vague about his personal info I worry that he could have other than noble intent. It causes me to watch those guys more closely than usual. On average, we get about one per year that we have to ban. Best is when they see it coming and just stop posting. Makes it easier for me because I dislike screwing people.