Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Horsing in Fish

Don't the commercial tuna guys in Mass., who are forced by regulation to fish with rod and reel, talk about "burning up" fish by fighting them too long?

The guys I see on Wicked Tuna are (seriously) using the heaviest gear that is made: custom rods with the strongest, stoutest blanks available, paired with the strongest, highest capacity reels in current production. I can't tell by looking at the TV, but I'm guessing that they're using heavy line too, probably something like 300-pound braid -- they wanna horse those giant fish in as fast as they can.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:16 PM
SS/Veteran

I used to have a big fear of tearing a hole in a fish's mouth. It happens sometimes, for sure. But then I hooked into some really big mommas and changed my tune. The big fish have thicker mouths.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 PM
SS/Veteran

No longer valid but years ago we used to use bait and let the fish swallow it. When that is done, even if the deep hooked hook pulls through it will likely reset in a different part of the fish' inside. It is the superficial hookings often with lures that can tear free. But the ethics in fishing is under evolution, what with so much returning of fish. With so much returning going on, who cares if you drop a fish.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Still nice to hold them, albeit brief, feel their weight and if you wish...give them a kiss.
I get nuts when I drop something that feels "good", unless it's a big blue. I like when they magically spit the hook at my feet while having an absolute hissy fit. I don't have to count fingers, clean the slime off etc. We call that a Catalina Release", but I have no idea why.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
Don't the commercial tuna guys in Mass., who are forced by regulation to fish with rod and reel, talk about "burning up" fish by fighting them too long?

The guys I see on Wicked Tuna are (seriously) using the heaviest gear that is made: custom rods with the strongest, stoutest blanks available, paired with the strongest, highest capacity reels in current production. I can't tell by looking at the TV, but I'm guessing that they're using heavy line too, probably something like 300-pound braid -- they wanna horse those giant fish in as fast as they can.
Those guys spend hours, even with that equipment, pulling in those fish...of course it's TV so we have to keep that part brief. A few young guys I know move their boat from Jamaica Bay to North Carolina in the winter. Not sure what exactly the season is down there but several weeks ago they took a fish around 750 #. Four guys on the boat, spent 7 hours landing the fish. I spoke to one of them a couple of weeks ago. He said he did 3 half hour sessions on the rod and was completely exhausted when it was over. They fish the biggest and baddest equipment.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:39 PM
SS/Veteran

That Wicked Tuna show is just that a show. I enjoy it but I doubt that is what it really is. Dogs on deck with gaffs flying around, no Polaroids. I get this persistent red light BS warning. Couple of Scotches help.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Of course it's a bit of BS. The season winner takes in about $100K. The captain, mates 1 , 2 and sometimes 3 or 4 all have responsibilities away from the show. Four families can't make it on $25K each in 2018. Then there's the mortgage on the newer boats the perennial winning teams are driving, fuel, insurance etc.
Entertaining because of the characters and the scotch always helps.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 AM
SS/Veteran

It helps not to care what or how the tuna guys fish. I enjoy it but don't take it seriously. It wins because it competes with "fake news".
Old 04-12-2018, 10:45 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG@Breezy View Post
Still nice to hold them, albeit brief, feel their weight and if you wish...give them a kiss.
I get nuts when I drop something that feels "good", unless it's a big blue. I like when they magically spit the hook at my feet while having an absolute hissy fit. I don't have to count fingers, clean the slime off etc. We call that a Catalina Release", but I have no idea why.
The one time I wished I horsed in a fish was with a trophy sized weakfish. It got down current and spit the hook at the surface... I know it's possible had I "horsed it", it might have spit right at my feet, but I would've been ok... the size I believe this thing was would've made me release it anyway.

I always wonder at a certain point you can be sure you have them hooked solid enough to just go more or less to the strength of your leader and say heck with it, like you have to in certain situations around rocks, where it's horse 'em or lose 'em anyways.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Its also about caring. When I fished for money, we had 40 pound bass that were paying $2.50 -- a hundred dollars for one fish. That will make you care. (or make a little girl cry.)