Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Dropping a Fish

Ever lose a fish just when you were reaching for it? I have.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Dropping a Fish

When it's a bluefish I celebrate it, referring to it as a Catalina release...don't ask.
When it's a striper I utter many expletives. Happens often enough to everyone. Coud be a long thread.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:09 AM

Yes....I fought a large striper from my kayak for over half an hour....was too large for me to pull up and into the yak...got close enough to shore to exit the kayak and drag the big girl to shore. When she spit the hook in the wash I jumped into the two foot deep water and grabbed hold of her but she was energized and I could not get a hand on her mouth or gill. I had hold of her back end for a moment but the slime made my powerful grip useless. I remember try to dig my fingernails into her tail as she fought herself free.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:10 PM
SS/Veteran

In 1966 I fought a big bass until it slid up on the wet sand. Then I heard the tinkle of the plug fall out of the fish and grabbed it just before it slid back down in the surf. Landed it and it weighed 51 pounds.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
In 1966 I fought a big bass until it slid up on the wet sand. Then I heard the tinkle of the plug fall out of the fish and grabbed it just before it slid back down in the surf. Landed it and it weighed 51 pounds.
Good job Frank......I have had success landing a few large stripers on the beach.....but you asked about dropping one. I still recount the mistakes I made to have lost out on a fish that was at least a fourty. For one thing.... the schoolie setup I was using.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:48 PM
SS/Veteran

The fishing world has changed in my time. Way back we killed everything so our methods were not as noble as they are today what with so much catch and release practiced. For instance, we used to let a cow swallow a live eel and you never dropped a fish. The lines were very strong so breaking off never happened. Today you can't fish that way because most fish are returned. With a one fish limit most fish go back. Besides, if you are going to return it, dropping a fish is a good result. There are some commercial rod and reel licenses, but to get that license you have to go through a BCI check. You could, I suppose, sell bass at the back door of restaurants like they do on the Cape. But you could end up in deep sheet if caught.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:23 PM

Friday evening I took a handful of bass on the fly rod. All but one were undersized. That one of course was dropped just when I grabbed the leader. Typical. Since I was going to release her anyway I was not too upset. Don't believe that, it's a lie and the expletives were flying.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 AM
SS/Veteran

I no longer fish as much as many of our members here because the striper surf is too demanding for an old man -- 82 in the fall. Hunting is easy because we can do it after a night of sleep. I am not going to share the road with drunks in the deep night just to throw back bass without having slept.