Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Fly Fishing and Women

Profit = reinvestment, business growth, and both lead to jobs.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Our daughter, retired from 30 years in the CG Reserve, has a job teaching fly fishing; she accepts men in her classes but is more popular with women fly fishing students. She knows teaching because she has a Masters in Education which she got after the Academy.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:29 AM
SS/Veteran

I'm not sure fly fishing is popular with women for the right reasons. My reason is that it often catches fish when other methods will not -- even stripers. Women, on the other hand, fly fish because it implies nobility and houte monde -- wrong reason.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:29 PM
SS/Veteran

[quote=Francis Daignault;2434250]I'm not sure fly fishing is popular with women for the right reasons. My reason is that it often catches fish when other methods will not -- even stripers. Women, on the other hand, fly fish because it implies nobility and houte monde -- wrong reason. [/QUOTE

If they only fly fish because they have no interest in spin fishing, it's still a good thing.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:02 PM
SS/Veteran

I suppose it is still a good thing as you point out. We must remember that the more people fish and hunt the greater the advocacy, thus the support of such. Also, more funds raised through excise taxes on equip which go to conservation and land acquisition. In hunting it is Pittman-Robinson, I forget what that law is for fishing
Old 06-05-2018, 12:20 PM

I have met more than a few fisherman who love golf. Everyone playing golf is not fishing, usually anyway. I did bring a small collapsible set up to Doral one time. While waiting on a particular tee I hooked a peacock bass who promptly shot down a culvert...end of that idea.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:13 AM
SS/Veteran

In my early teens I played golf as a result of my caddying. My fishing buddy at the time was RI State golf champion one year -- among adults and he was only 16 years old. Those years summers we played golf one day and went fishing the other. He always outplayed me. In those days, around 1950, women were not allowed to play the course weekends.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Not to mention there were not a whole bunch of women fishing in 1950. I imagine that the early pioneers began around 1955 or 1960.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM
SS/Veteran

The woman pioneer that comes to mind is Joan Wulff. My wife wrote a surfcasting for women for SWS in the early 1970s. I know salmon fishing in Maine we never saw a woman on the river. There are many more women today. Less in hunting than fishing.