Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Stripers on the decline again?

I am concerned with the size of Stripers in the last few years. For the last 4/5 years I have been catching a lot of "skinny" stripers...and fewer fish overall.
What seems to go hand in hand with that is the total lack of pogies.Not too many years ago we use to net 20 to 30 of them for a good day of fishing. I have not seen or netted any pogies in more than 5 years.
The pogy is the stripers number one choice of food. If they are not available to the striper, this is bad news.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Stripers on the decline again?

Don't know where your fishing, Falcon, but here on Cape Cod I've seen a steady increase in the size of the bass we are catching and good healthy fish. And last year and this, a return of adult pogies after a hiatus of more years than I like to think.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

No one person could ever make an observation on coastwide striper population trends. They might not be in one person's spot while they are in another. This comes up all the time. And the pogie thing, oh, please, not again. We had pogies but the Marines ate them all.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:27 PM

I fish Gloucester/Rockport area...and use to get the pogies in the Danvers river.
I'm glad to hear you are catching good healthy stripers...I have not had those results lately. I sure hope I am wrong.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

The stripers in Jersey have been increasing in size the past few years, and there are plenty of bunker (pogies for you NE guys) around here. The peanut bunker in the back bays this year also seem to be larger and more abundant. As Frank said, dont think you can generalize conditions on one area as a coastwide guage...
Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 PM

I inspired an outdoor writer in a northern state to go striper fishing and he was okay for a while. Then his fishing went bad where he hangs out and he swears that the stripers are gone from the entire striper coast. What are you going to do with that? I try to teach reasoning in my books but I have often thought that people just skip something if it is not what they want to hear.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Hmm, maybe a way of reasoning why they aren't catching anything?"Cant be what I'm doing or what I'm using, must be the stocks declining..."
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon70
I am concerned with the size of Stripers in the last few years. For the last 4/5 years I have been catching a lot of "skinny" stripers...and fewer fish overall.
What seems to go hand in hand with that is the total lack of pogies.Not too many years ago we use to net 20 to 30 of them for a good day of fishing. I have not seen or netted any pogies in more than 5 years.
The pogy is the stripers number one choice of food. If they are not available to the striper, this is bad news.
Falcon, I fish in Boston Harbor and I have been seeing the same "decreasing fishing"/lack of big bait (pogies/bunker) that you are seeing. Perhaps if "they" stopped the spotter plane-purse seine operations from netting every school of bunker that swims past Cape Cod waters, we would see some big stuff again!.........JC
Old 08-29-2006, 07:09 AM

Well, Jason, that is the standard explanation for all reduced or changed fishing and i am sure you know that has been being said for 40 years. The striper preservation orgs have raised millions on that premise.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I gotta wonder... I see the bunker boats along with spotter planes all the time here in Jersey. Of course, there are those that complain that when the boats show up, the striper fishing dies. I dont know what the allowable havest of bunker is (I'm sure someone like Fishpicker would know), but I can say I have never seen schools of bunker as large here in a few years. The peanuts are abundant, and large for this time of year also. To blame the lack of stripers on less bunker, to me at least, is junk science. If there arent bunker for them to eat, they will always find something else.
The thing I worry about is the reduction boats in the Chesapeake. They scour them up, leaving a reduced population for the stripers that have spawned, and have the munchies after their fun to fatten up on. The Chesapeake is the prime breeding ground for stripers, but it seems with their regulations, both MD and VA just want things to go along as they are now. Want to see some really BIG stripers, and the GREAT fishing they are having? Check the MD forum here, or any other site that reports on activity there. I personally wouldn't brag about an 18 incher, but it seems like thats GREAT fishing for them...
Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 PM

Only thing that I am certain of is that I don't know. When they sought to put tegether management plans they expressly sought to acknowledge "producer states" like Maryland and Virginia, which to me, this far north, is something that I don't even begin to rule on. I suppose it is necessary to understand what they are trying to do to be fair to everybody. Like Maine has a limit that allow the taking of 20 inch fish, but they give on other aspects of the mangement schem.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinglsister View Post
Falcon, I fish in Boston Harbor and I have been seeing the same "decreasing fishing"/lack of big bait (pogies/bunker) that you are seeing. Perhaps if "they" stopped the spotter plane-purse seine operations from netting every school of bunker that swims past Cape Cod waters, we would see some big stuff again!.........JC
For example (2006)
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 02-25-2018, 08:23 PM

So here we are going into 2018. What are we seeing ? Large fish and small fish and not much in the middle other than very localized action. This is the same scenario before the "moratorium". The first two posts seem to put a soft emphasis on this. Now, I know they are cyclical and the sampling by the ASMFC is flawed although better than most other tools we have. The current estimates are that we have bout 30 to 35,000,000 fish to work with. Just 6 years ago that estimate was over 78,000,000. Seems like we have some bad times ahead. Many causes, pollution, mycobacteriosis,over harvest, poaching, bait availability etc.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:14 AM
SS/Veteran

Joe, you forgot the management BS. How are you going to count the fish in the ocean with even a moderate level of accuracy? Conservation is an industry. Thankfully, Stripers Unlimited is kaput. Boy, could I tell you some stories.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Joe, you forgot the management BS. How are you going to count the fish in the ocean with even a moderate level of accuracy? Conservation is an industry. Thankfully, Stripers Unlimited is kaput. Boy, could I tell you some stories.
I would have to agree. Because they ( canucks ) found all those stripers eating their beloved salmon fry, and finally started talking about it. The ASMFC gives us an indicator.