Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Thumbs down Comcast

NEW YORK (AP) _ Comcast Corp., the nation's second-largest Internet service provider, Thursday said it would set an official limit on the amount of data subscribers can download and upload each month.

On Oct. 1, the cable company will update its user agreement to say that users will be allowed 250 gigabytes of traffic per month, the company announced on its Web site.

Comcast has already reserved the right to cut off subscribers who use too much bandwidth each month, without specifying exactly what constitutes excessive use.

"We've listened to feedback from our customers who asked that we provide a specific threshold for data usage and this would help them understand the amount of usage that would qualify as excessive," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Customers who go over the limit are contacted by the company and asked to curb their usage.

"We know from experience the vast majority of customers we ask to curb usage do so voluntarily," the company said.

Comcast floated the idea of a 250 gigabyte cap in May and mentioned then that it might charge users $15 for every 10 gigabytes they go over, but the overage fee was missing in Thursday's announcement.

Curbing the top users is necessary to keep the network fast and responsive for other users, Comcast has said.

Comcast stressed that the bandwidth cap is far above the median monthly usage of its customers, which 2 to 3 gigabytes.

Very few subscribers use more than 250 gigabytes, it said. A user could download 125 standard-definition movies, about four per day, before hitting the limit.

The cap is also above those of some other ISPs. Cox Communications' monthly caps vary from 5 gigabytes to 75 gigabytes depending the subscriber's plan. Time Warner Cable Inc. is testing caps between 5 gigabytes and 40 gigabytes in one market. Frontier Communications Co., a phone company, plans to start charging extra for use of more than 5 gigabytes per month.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Default Re: Comcast

Well the internet is going full circle back to its roots of stealing money from consumers. I would really love to see the operating statement and balance sheet for Comcast's Online division. I'll bet it's extraordinarily profitable, heck I bet it's simply huge. Now with so many customers perhaps their huge margins have slipped 1% or 2% because they have to provide customer service to those damn things called customers.

This is not much different from the early days when the biggest thieves in the world, America On Line charged customers varying hourly rates depending upon their dial up modem speed. I forget how many free hours you got per month, it wasn't very much. The faster your modem the more you paid, $9.00 per hour sticks in my mind although there could have been a higher rate. When AT&T announced $19.95 a month unlimited access AOL screamed.

We should expect that this 250GB limit is only the beginning, they will aggressively cut it back as long as they get away with it. You can also expect a Federal tax on your internet service if Obama wins. I'll wager money on that!

Got my landline telephone bill today, one third (1/3rd) of the total cost of my business line is federal and state fees and taxes! 33%!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I suspect that Verizon just sees this as an opportunity to expand in places whey have already rolled fiber.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 PM

They are running out of bandwith.The HD over their old infrastructure is not working out.Something has to give. They really should invest in their network instead of building skyscrappers in Philly.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default AT&T to try limits on monthly Internet traffic

NEW YORK ? AT&T, the country's largest Internet service provider, is testing the idea of limiting the amount of data that subscribers can use each month.
AT&T will initially apply the limits in Reno, and see about extending the practice elsewhere.

Increasingly, Internet providers across the country are placing such limits on the amount of data users can upload and download each month, as a way to curb a small number of "bandwidth hogs" who use a lot of the network capacity. For instance, 5% of AT&T's subscribers take up 50% of the capacity, spokesman Michael Coe said Tuesday.

But the restrictions that Internet providers are setting are tentative. And the companies differ on what limits to set and whether to charge users for going beyond the caps.

Starting in November, AT&T will limit downloads to 20 gigabytes per month for users of their slowest DSL service, at 768 kilobits per second. The limit increases with the speed of the plan, up to 150 gigabytes per month at the 10 megabits-per-second level.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...d_N.htm?csp=15

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 AM

I just got a letter with my latest comcast bill with an explanation/apology regarding increased prices that will take effect sometime between now and Jan 31 '09. Seems the money I pay for HD is not enough so they need more money The thing is people without HD got the same letter with the same price increases
When in the Lord's great landing net, And peacefully asleep
That in His mercy I be judged, Big enough to keep.
-Author Unknown-
Old 11-09-2008, 07:16 PM

I like FIOS.

Bandwidth isn't a big issue with fiber. They don't even compress the HD channels.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSteve View Post
I like FIOS.

Bandwidth isn't a big issue with fiber. They don't even compress the HD channels.
Fiber rules! Cable drools!

Haha!

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM

my current upload / download speed...

what's yours?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator

You cheated

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Of the three of us, I'm the closest to Plainfield. How is it possible that Rob reached 35 Mb/s? Have never had a result that high, even in the middle of the night.

I see my comment above from 2008 "Got my landline telephone bill today, one third (1/3rd) of the total cost of my business line is federal and state fees and taxes! 33%!"

My "landline" bill is history, we use a MagicJack Plus which is simply connected to my router, works flawlessly for $20 per year! Includes emailing my Voice Messages which I can listen to on my iPhone. BUT with the MagicJack App now on my iPhone I can answer the "landline" anyplace in North America!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 PM

I believe it's the new modem I wrangled from the kid who came out after an outage we had a while ago. I'm not at home right now but I'll get the model later
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM

That s cool about the magic jack Bob.

May look into that.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator

I gave up on the land line in the beginning of the year.
Had that number for close to 30 years.
All I ever got was on the thing.

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:50 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

I gave up my land line about the time this thread started. Mostly spam, too, and I was paying for the privilege.