Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Horsing in Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
This busines of being considerate of the fish raises what Chris Garrity pointed out in another thread: "Who loves the bass most." If it is that much of a deal with you maybe you should become a PETA, Fish Division where they don't put any steel in the mouth of any fish.

Experience says a lot about what we can do and when we can do it.
I think that's the key to it, Frank. Knowing what you, and your tackle can do is all important.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The word "fight" corrupts fishing methods with a lot of people. I have known surfmen who viewed the take of a fish as a personal affront and always responded violently. Often so violently that they popped off right there in their response to the take. (Don't you love the member here who calls hisself "Zing-Pow?) Of course because it is a fight the mindset that to win the angler is expected to respond violently becomes victim of the message. In fishing, dah, we are not engaged in a bar brawl.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Conversely, it is possible to coax a fish into the beach slowly enough that it does not realize it is in trouble. What you do is pull just enough to seat the hook and softly lead the fish toward the beach. It does not always work but when it does you can hornswaggle the thing so close to the shore that when it does struggle it can be overcome quickly. I've done it.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Lost a nice fish in the wash the other week when a circle hook was spit after a slow, steady struggle. This is especially troublesome if you fish live eels with circle hooks, and refrain from driving the circle hook home, crossing its eyes and horsing in the fish. You never know how well the hookset is, until it may be too late.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 AM

You are not going to get them all. Our girls used to cry when they dropped or broke off a fish. You want to spend the night wiping eyes with crying towels as we had three girls, plus Mom, who would cast with a vengence once I had them on bonus during a blitz. At least now I only have one, Joyce, who cries when she misses a deer.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
SS/Veteran

Missing fish makes me mad...I don't like using circles for eeling for that reason above. Offset octopus works well, at least it seems to be a reasonable go between from the J and Circle. You can to an extent set the hook with the octopus which I like doing.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 PM

In my view all Octopus is is an exaggerated Eagle Claw. Lordy, we used those claw hooks when the Andrew sisters were first learning about men. Did I ever get castigated here one time because I was supposed to laude circle hooks. Now I just avoid the subject.

When you are sure you can get away with it, a big jig with 50 pound mono is a great way to fight hard with a big bass. I used to have favorite stones that were shaped like fighting chairs that I used to sit on to fight from. Show them whose boss.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Circle Hooks

I heard that Japanese long liners invented the circle hooks..or were at least pioneers in using them (I believe that)

"Conservation-minded" catch and release fishermen use them..at least that is the belief. But now they are being used by "meat-fishermen" also in that once they are set it is rare that they pull free.

My first and last experience was the year 1989.

Nobody ever really seen or heard of circle hooks. We were tuna fishing and there were giants running through the fleet. We were after the 50 to 100 lb. yellows and bluefins. But we set out one 80W deep under a balloon with this kooky looking hook at the insistance of a crew member. At dusk the balloon takes a nose dive and the broomstick rod bends like a pretzel as heavy mono crackles under pressure. We cannot turn the huge reel handle or get the rod out of the holder. A guy grabs the rod and trys to set the hook and the hook pops out of the mouth. Goodbye giant ...

Never under-estimate first impressions..Boy, I hate circle hooks..
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
The word "fight" corrupts fishing methods with a lot of people. I have known surfmen who viewed the take of a fish as a personal affront and always responded violently. Often so violently that they popped off right there in their response to the take. (Don't you love the member here who calls hisself "Zing-Pow?) Of course because it is a fight the mindset that to win the angler is expected to respond violently becomes victim of the message. In fishing, dah, we are not engaged in a bar brawl.

I'm sure you've seen those TV Bass Pro's who look like they're swinging a Louisville Slugger at a fastball when a largemouth bass strikes. It always cracks me up when they water ski the poor fish across the surface and swing them into the boat. I understand that in the world of tournament money fishing it's a strategy they all use, but sheeesh......
Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

And they do it with a southern accent to boot.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM

In certain situations we dont have room to play.I've had tackle failure with sharks after 3 hours due to line twist and impatience, I cant say I had a striper press me that way.With the correct tackle you can lean in with room to spare.We have options on the open beach, when your backs against the wall you get a good rod.A 9'-10' foot graphite with a squidder or ambassaduer, at 3 pounds its an impressive weapon capable of accomplishing the task.

Guys, I'm working on my humor ! Frank has such a great wit and charm that adds to our experience
Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 AM

BBB: "Guys, I'm working on my humor! Frank has such a great wit and charm that adds to our experience."

A lot of Internet cowboys take on a different personality when surfing the Internet. Mine is to be humorous because there is nothing funny about me in real life. I want desperately not to let the Internet corrupt me as I have seen enough of it. Still, my hero was/is George Carlin.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Umm, back to circles...
I know Frank and many others dont care for them, but they are all I use bait fishing. You just have to adjust your fishing style. Back when I first started using them, the urge to "set the hook" was pretty hard to overcome. Many times the fish hook themselves. If you "feel the need", a sweep to the side rather than a jerk backwards is the way to go. The thing I like about them, is the fish very rarely swallow the hook deep. 99 times out of 100, they are hooked in the front of the mouth somewhere, easy to get the hook out.
I dunno, maybe it's just me...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

I'm still a believer in circle hooks, but admit that live eels are occasionally "inhaled" by large bass, resulting in a gut-hooked circle hook every now and then. It's hard to beat the hook-up ratio using circles.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 PM

I have no experience with circle hooks. During the years when they made their big debut, I have been plugging, riggie fishing and fly fishing. Years ago I used to think that if I am lucky enough to get old, I would do more bait fishing. But tht didn't happen....Well, I got old but haven't bait fished. I did all my bait fishing -- chunks and sea worms -- when I was around 30.