Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Opening day we met a Conservation Officer and he said that the absence of hunters is scary and bodes poorly for the future of wildlife support. He said, and I agree, that without hunters there would be no funds to support programs needed for wildlife. Of course, it being Massachusetts, they are trying to take our sporting arms, sell us Firearms cards for $100, and sell us the animals one at a time. Women have been taught that husbands who hunt are wife beaters so sporting traditions are under fire from many sides. Hey, I always say, "in Massachusetts you can't hunt on Sunday but you can smoke dope."
Old 05-16-2018, 12:13 PM
SS/Veteran

While we are on a wish list for Massachusetts, let's add opening coyote season all year long. Gone are the grouse, doves and native pheasants all with ground nests. For example: living on the edge of the city a local farmer with cattle asked a hunter to come in and kill the coyotes that were harassing his animals. At the remaining week of the season the hunter had killed 13 coyotes with not to much trouble. Early morning with a bait pile and rifle he did the deed.

Massachusetts Wildlife will never wake up until their finances are gone.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:20 PM
SS/Veteran

While I am on a roll, opening day fishing season (no longer) was an big event for kids, even skipping school to go out and fish. Now that fishing season is open all year long and stocking fish does not have the numbers and older fisherman with a mass of experience can go out for the day and catch nothing. Kids that use to be fishing have turned to other entertainment.

Enter my number two grandson who I have nicknamed Casper because his body seldom sees the sun.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Every one I know shoots coyotes when they see them, season or no.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:16 PM
SS/Veteran

That is true, but will remain our little secret. Hush!!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

One gutsy game warden
One swipe by that moose and he's a goner.
But one happy moose after it was all over.
*One gutsy game warden*

https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=f9132a37d604

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Great flick. Thanks for putting that up. Moose are not too smart but great eating.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 PM

My pleasure. Frank since you brought up eating have you ever had groundhog and if so how was it.?

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 PM

I have few running around here that I'm going to relocate.
I remember someone telling me years ago that they ate groundhog and it wasn't bad but it stunk to high heaven when it was being prepared. I know I'll never try it but just curious if you or anybody here every did..

Old 05-24-2018, 12:34 PM
SS/Veteran

We called them woodchucks and I think I ate some when I was a kid. It seems to me they tasted like rabbit, which I grew up on. We hunted rabbits with our beagles and shot over a hundred per winter season. In those days there was nothing else to eat -- virtually no deer or turkeys. The real treat of the time was grouse which we shot few of. It was said at the time that muskrats also tasted like rabbit. When evaluating an animals culinary value, just look at what is in their diet. Woodchucks and muskrats eat all clean veggies so they would have to be good eating. But we had so many rabbits to eat -- roast, broiled, rabbit pie, ground -- that we had no interest in 'chucks or muskrats. Oh, we also did frog legs. Those were/are yummy.

Nobody had freezer chests like today, so there was a lot of canning of foods.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:46 AM
SS/Veteran

What a great turkey season we had. Never saw so many birds. Fricken things were everywhere. It was nothing to see ten hens -- which are not legal -- per morning. We even let some jakes walk but the last week, with no boss long beard for me yet, I whacked a 15 pound jake for the table. It was frustrating to see so many long beards on the lawns but we still had a lot of fun. My wife gets miffed when I say, "turkeys are the funnest thing with clothes on."
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Could you trap and sent some wild turkeys to my end of the state. I will pick up or pay postage?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:36 AM
SS/Veteran

Many days we saw as many as a dozen hens. If they all have poults there are going to be tons of jakes next spring. We cooked my wife's 19 pounder and it was very nice eating.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 AM
SS/Veteran

Reading this 5:30 AM I saw our motion detectors go off. Checked and saw a deer in our driveway. This is not Jersey and we don't see that many.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 PM

Things seen from my dining room window in NJ. In the span of my 8 last years there. I had moved to Plainfield which is heavily populated and about 27 miles as the crow flies from NYC. Roughly 1 dozen foxes, hundreds of raccoons, several possum, untold numbers of squirrels, chipmunks, several dozen hawks eyeballing those critters, a few wood chucks, thousands of birds, hundreds of turkeys usually 15 or more at a time, and whitetail deer in stupid numbers...even a local albino a few times. These were just the wildlife that actually set foot on my lawn. My lot was about 70 X 145 and the neighbors were much the same. I always believed it all resulted from "too many" and maybe some thinning of the herd / flock should take place. My favorite were the turkeys because it seemed they knew they were safe and were giving me the proverbial bird. Hah.