Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Attachment 9327

Then you wonder why I fish the beach.
You said that right Frank. I haven't been in a boat in salt water since I got caught in an outgoing tide in a 14ft boat, headed to a bad rip with a gas line pulled off the hook-up. Had about 20ft to go before I finally jammed it with a prayer and got it started.

MULE.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushfly View Post
Hey Lagoonguy, nice work. Here's a taste of mine all done in oils on canvas.
Brushfly, That is some fine work.

MULE.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Mako on Line

Here's my latest painting titled, "Mako on Line" depicting a couple fishermen in a small boat having just set the hook on a pretty big Mako shark of Sebastian Inlet.

It's a 12'"X 16" Pen & Acrylic on canvas finished 8/21/2010

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Mako on Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Here's my latest painting titled, "Mako on Line" depicting a couple fishermen in a small boat having just set the hook on a pretty big Mako shark of Sebastian Inlet.

Bill, it's really nice of you (and others too!) tp post your artwork. I always appreciate people painting and drawing the subjects I enjoy..............Thanx Frank Z.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post

Fine painting Bill. I'd say that those two guys in that little boat would be better off to lose it and brag about the one that got away, especially a Mako.

MULE.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

looks more like a blue, than a mako

(JUST KIDDING, BILL!!)

fine work everybody... pretty amazing thread!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
looks more like a blue, than a mako

(JUST KIDDING, BILL!!)

Makes me wonder if this art thread isn't some kind of a record for here. Not just the hits and contributions, but in so short a time.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
looks more like a blue, than a mako (JUST KIDDING, BILL!!)
Commercially and recreationally, I've probably seen close to 100 or more Mako fresh out of the water. Every one I recall except two were bright blue, just like a Blue Shark. The other two were a blue-green on their back. However, only an hour or so out of water they tures to dull green or grey. It's like a Marlin or Sailfish -they light up when hooked but quickly lose their bright colors.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Makes me wonder if this art thread isn't some kind of a record for here. Not just the hits and contributions, but in so short a time.
Frank it's a rare fisherman that isn't mesmerized with fishing art, fishing pictures, or fishing books. Walk into a shop an see a mounted fish and you just stand there and stare. Can't stop yourself.

MULE.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Maybe some of us have been fishing so long that we've been elevated in some way. But so often when I go into a tackle shop, I'm bewildered by the total lack of understanding by clerks or employees of fishing basics. Sure, they swagger, which is an outcome of being behind a counter, but they don't know fishing and really shouldn't be there if management is to have any hope for survival. Retailing is weak because of it.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Maybe some of us have been fishing so long that we've been elevated in some way. But so often when I go into a tackle shop, I'm bewildered by the total lack of understanding by clerks or employees of fishing basics. Sure, they swagger, which is an outcome of being behind a counter, but they don't know fishing and really shouldn't be there if management is to have any hope for survival. Retailing is weak because of it.
Frank, you're almost 100% correct, but you've got to remember that comparing your knowledge with the knowledge of the average retailer is like comparing the mind of Steven Hawkins to my Mule brain, there just ain't no comparison. What is basic to you is big time stuff to the beginner or even the retailer. Just be glad they don't all know what you know. That way there'll be a few fish left to catch. Thank goodness you're not a drum fisherman, at least where I fish.

MULE.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I once had a tackle shop in Orleans tell me not go to to Nauset because the water was too warm, but instead go to Race Point. It must have been a contest to get as much junk science into one sentence as possible. (For those that don't know, Nauset never gets above 65 degrees and RP is probably 10 degrees warmer than Nauset on the outgoing tide...)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks, Mule, that is what I call a brother-in-law response. But I know a few, very few, shops where the guys who work there are very savvy -- Rivers End in Connecticut for one.

More to the thread's subject, a person who engages in outdoor art has to understand the rudiments of the craft being rendered to canvass. Ever see paintings of red lobsters on the bottom of the ocean? The wind bending the grass of a duck marsh and the ducks coming to land with the wind behind them? Those are artists who can paint pretty pictures but know nothing of what they are depicting.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, Mule, that is what I call a brother-in-law response. But I know a few, very few, shops where the guys who work there are very savvy -- Rivers End in Connecticut for one.

More to the thread's subject, a person who engages in outdoor art has to understand the rudiments of the craft being rendered to canvass. Ever see paintings of red lobsters on the bottom of the ocean? The wind bending the grass of a duck marsh and the ducks coming to land with the wind behind them? Those are artists who can paint pretty pictures but know nothing of what they are depicting.
Frank, I guess this would qualify as bss ackwards art, but I like the pictures in the sports catalogues with the tough guy in waders holding a rod with the spinning reel turned upside down, and the camouflaged hunter aiming at a deer with a long bow strung backwards.

MULE.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM

True, Mule, but the specialty houses -- Sports AField, Outdoor Life etc. -- they get it right. Also BassPro and Cabelas get it right. I think a lot of the ad agencies breaking in screw up.