Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

Reneson

There is pretty good mood in this pic. I am not sure of this guy's casting style, though.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM

Shilstone again
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Reneson

There is pretty good mood in this pic. I am not sure of this guy's casting style, though.
Walter that is the loading phase of the English pendulum cast made famous by John Holden. Only there is supposed to be about twice the drop.
Those are great paintings. Wish I'd found them before you did. You are right, the mood is great in both paintings. Could stare at them a long time.

MULE.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Guys, be sure to go back to the previous page to catch the others that Walter put up. Awesome visual experience!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
SS/Veteran

I'll second that, Frank. I especially like the Reneson and Shillstone paintings. I've always liked Reneson but, Shillstone is new to me.

Walter, do you know where shillstone is/was from? I'd guess the first one you posted "unknown" is a Reneson. The style is the same but, then, Reneson is often copied.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM
SS/Veteran

One of my favorites is a painting called "Fishing For Striped Bass in the Surf on the New Jersey Coast," by a dude named Arthur Burdett Frost. Frost was a student of Thomas Eakins, who's widely regarded as the greatest American artist ever, and the painting shows definite evidence of Eakins's influence on Frost. It was painted in 1882, when sport fishing was in its infancy, and well-heeled Philadelphians and New Yorkers would take trains to fish the Jersey shore (I was gonna ask if Frank taught these guys to cast, but I don't want to get banned).

There's just something about this picture that I love. It shows that while some things change in plying the striper surf, some things are timeless: change the clothes these guys are wearing, and the gear they're using, and this could be a scene on any Jersey beach tomorrow. The allure of the high surf is timeless.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
I'll second that, Frank. I especially like the Reneson and Shillstone paintings. I've always liked Reneson but, Shillstone is new to me.

Walter, do you know where shillstone is/was from? I'd guess the first one you posted "unknown" is a Reneson. The style is the same but, then, Reneson is often copied.

Arthur Shilstone (1922 - ) Active - New Jersey

http://www.fineartstrader.com/shilstone.htm

unknown is not Reneson. It I remember in was an obscure west coast artist who doesn't do sporting art as a rule.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Name:  Denault Deer.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  76.7 KB

This is a Charles Denault wildlife artist's print, "Moment of Truth". Quality of the photo is wanting because I didn't want to take it down from my office wall.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Name:  Turkey Club.JPG
Views: 1275
Size:  41.0 KB

This is called "Turkey Club". It was done for the Wild Turkey Federation by Lee Cable who was named artist of the year. I bought it matted and framed for $50 because the auctioneer started the bids while evrybody was in the men's room after dinner
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Attachment 9519

This is called "Turkey Club". It was done for the Wild Turkey Federation by Lee Cable who was named artist of the year. I bought it matted and framed for $50 because the auctioneer started the bids while evrybody was in the men's room after dinner
You were lucky Frank. They certainly p*ss** away a chance at a beautiful painting.

MULE.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 AM

The photo of the turkey club above does not do the actual print justice. Turkey hunters see that print and they go crazy for it. Matted and framed, it would easily fetch $300/$400. The Federation engages in these fund raisers using professional auctioneers and they pull in a lot money. Why this pro auctioneer would choose to start with the night's prize offer first, right after dinner, when all the potential bidders were standing in the men's room line, is kind of out-of-character. For a guy who is so cheap (me) that he flosses his teeth all week then ties a fly with the floss to bid and win on this is also out-of-character. Lesson: pee when the others don't.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Here's a picture I painted from a picture of my grandfather's last commercial fishing boat. "Superior" was built in Essex in 1932 for Capt.John Dahlmer. She was first rigged and fished as a mackerel seiner. In 1934 she was changed over as a Western Rigged dragger and fished for Redfish on the Grand Banks until the Navy took her in 1942 to supply weather stations in Greenland and Newfoundland with fuel oil and gasoline. She was a perennial highliner in the Gloucester fleet both as a seiner and as a draggter.

In the picture she is returning from Boston, after unloading her fish and is passing Ten Pound Island in Gloucester Harbor. This is a 8.5X11" Acrylic, Pen & Ink on Canvas Board.

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Here's a picture I painted from a picture of my grandfather's last commercial fishing boat. "Superior" was built in Essex in 1932 for Capt.John Dahlmer. She was first rigged and fished as a mackerel seiner. In 1934 she was changed over as a Western Rigged dragger and fished for Redfish on the Grand Banks until the Navy took her in 1942 to supply weather stations in Greenland and Newfoundland with fuel oil and gasoline. She was a perennial highliner in the Gloucester fleet both as a seiner and as a draggter.

In the picture she is returning from Boston, after unloading her fish and is passing Ten Pound Island in Gloucester Harbor. This is a 8.5X11" Acrylic, Pen & Ink on Canvas Board.
Bill, another great painting, or pen and ink.

MULE.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 AM

I stumbled across some more in my dbase.

This one looks like an older Reneson @'70's.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Another Reneson that looks newer if a little lurid.
Attached Images