Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Grandpa's Last Boat

Gramdpa was Capt. John A. Dahlmer. This was his last boat, the "Superior", the last boat launched by the famous AD Story in Essex, Mass. She was 120' and originally a typical western-rig dragger hull with a diesel engine. However, in 1934 grandpa invented the "whaleback bow" and added it. The picture was taken shortly after. The whaleback aforded much more protection to the crew working the deck when she was hauling back or setting out her nets.

The picture shows her entering Gloucester's inner harbor with Ten Pound Island, Rocky Neck and the Tarr & Wonson Copper Paint factory astern as she turns to tie up at the Gloucester Machine Shop dock, now Cape Ann Heritage Center. Bill Dahlmer Hubbard

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Grandpa's Last Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Gramdpa was Capt. John A. Dahlmer. This was his last boat, the "Superior", the last boat launched by the famous AD Story in Essex, Mass. She was 120' and originally a typical western-rig dragger hull with a diesel engine. However, in 1934 grandpa invented the "whaleback bow" and added it. The picture was taken shortly after. The whaleback aforded much more protection to the crew working the deck when she was hauling back or setting out her nets.

The picture shows her entering Gloucester's inner harbor with Ten Pound Island, Rocky Neck and the Tarr & Wonson Copper Paint factory astern as she turns to tie up at the Gloucester Machine Shop dock, now Cape Ann Heritage Center. Bill Dahlmer Hubbard
BILL---Just like your Coasting Schooners off Cape Ann, your color is outstanding. Glad to see you using it more. For me, it really adds a lot to the painting.

MULE.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

Thanks, Steve. Always appreciate your critiques.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Red Sky at Night

This was a difficult painting to do and, I may well make some revisions. For now, here is the 130 yr. old, 130' Schooner "Western Union" with a Gulf Sunset behind her and about to enter the harbor at Key West.

The last of the big schooners built in Key West and built for Western Union Telegraph Co. in 1939 as a undersea cable repair ship, she later sailed the Caribbean, Bahamas and Florida waters as a tour vessel. She has just been completely rapaired to the tune of $1.24 million and will serve as a Museum and tour boat out of Key West.

11X14" Acrylic, Pen & Ink on stretched canvas.

Bill Hubbard

Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Red Sky at Night

Quote:
This was a difficult painting to do and, I may well make some revisions. For now, here is the 130 yr. old, 130' Schooner "Western Union" with a Gulf Sunset behind her and about to enter the harbor at Key West.

The last of the big schooners built in Key West and built for Western Union Telegraph Co. in 1939 as a undersea cable repair ship, she later sailed the Caribbean, Bahamas and Florida waters as a tour vessel. She has just been completely rapaired to the tune of $1.24 million and will serve as a Museum and tour boat out of Key West.

11X14" Acrylic, Pen & Ink on stretched canvas.

Bill Hubbard
BILL, if any revisions need to be made on that masterpiece, then I'll be damned if I know how you could improve it.

MULE.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Harbor of Refuge - 1900

Here's one that was fun to do. I've worked on it off and on between other paintings for a couple months. The harbor of Sandy Bay in Rockport, MA sits at the top of Cape Ann and seperate the waters of Massachusetts Bay and the Gulf of Maine. In the late 1800s and early 1900s 90% of all commerece was carried on under sail. Few railroads, no interstates, no loran, radar depth finders or GPS. When weather threatened, the skippers of the coasters sought shelter in strategic harbors of refuge. Sandy Bay was one of them, protected from winds from any quarter. The painting depicts a group of coasting schooners and sloops about to leave the harbor after a big nor'easter blew through. The boats in the paintings were real. They carried granite for piers and breakwaters, coal, lumber, grain, gypsum, hardware, food and general cargos. I've completed full paintings of two of them and will do more. The yawl-boat in the foreground was the only propulsion. It operated on a 2-cyl.engine and several of the boats shown had similar engines used for loading and unloading but, wind was how they got around. Most operated with 2-5 man crews.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM
SS/Veteran

BILL, as I've told you before, the color that you've been adding to your paintings lately is outstanding, and sets your paintings apart from any I've seen. You should take your Sept. 2005 32lb. Striper and copy the picture as a painting with the color you've been using lately. My sister is a fine artist, when she takes time off from those damn pianos. Every Christmas, I give her a photograph, and she paints a picture from it, and gives it to me or Adrian as a present. I'll swear that the painting of Jessie looks more like Jessie than the photograph. The picture is a bit blurry because I had to cut down on the KB's to get it to post.

MULE.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 07:39 AM
SS/Veteran

Thanks, Mule. I never thought of doing that. I can probably paint the striper but, I'm not go sharp on painting portraits. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Here is a garage sale find from a few years ago...the print, Jetty Jockeys, is by John Gerasimchik and is dated 1978. Pretty cool find for $5.

Name:  John Gerasimchik.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  116.7 KB
Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
SS/Veteran

That's is a very interesting sketch.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogKeen View Post
Here is a garage sale find from a few years ago...the print, Jetty Jockeys, is by John Gerasimchik and is dated 1978. Pretty cool find for $5.

Attachment 10216
Mr. MyDogKeen, I agree with Bill.
Wish I had beat you to the yard sale!

MULE.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, Mule. I never thought of doing that. I can probably paint the striper but, I'm not go sharp on painting portraits. Maybe I'll give it a try.
BILL, I'm sure you could do it. Unlike the thinking of an infamous, overrated "artist" in my neck of the woods, who thinks that paintings should look like photographs, a painting is not supposed to look like a professional photo. The artist's interpretation is what gives it character, and makes it much more valuable and pleasing than the actual photo.
I know faces are hard to do. It's an inborn talent, maybe it can be learned, I don't know. But even if you get close, it would be a great painting, and, you just might surprise yourself. I'm betting that with your obsession with painting, as far as faces go, you'd eventually get'er down pat.

MULE.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

That Jetty Jockeys drawing is one of the best shots on this thread. I wish I had even a copy.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Senior Fellow

Frank,

If MyDogKeen would take a straight on, squared awy photo of the Jetty Jockey's you could get a fair reproduction made. I'm sure Bill or Mule could figure it out. I copied the pic in current format and is wasn't bad -- but if you had it in full square I'll bet you could make a fait deal of it.

Or perhaps you can find a copy.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 05-07-2011, 04:18 PM
SS/Veteran

I played around with it a bit but BigestSquid is right. The angle of the lense to the picture makes it distorted when you enlarge it. Makes the five fishermen look like fat midgets...I'd be happy to try again if MyDogKeen could get a a shot of it with less angle between camera lens and picture, I'm sure it would copy better and be less distorted.