Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Baseless Speculation/junk Science

All this needlefish talk, I actually caught one this weekend. It hit a 5" Zara Spook and got snagged. It was a little thicker than a pencil (not the popper), olive green on top and really bright silver--white underneath. Feeding on spearing/sperling/silversides when it hit.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Speaking of speculation, anybody ever catch a bass in water under 50 degrees?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
SS/Veteran

I'd finally just gotten to sleep after all my inner turmoil about needlefish plugs...then I start reading an article about rod sensitivity while drifting salmon eggs, in a local fw magazine. The "expert" says that a flexible rod with a limber tip is best for detecting strikes. Is it me, or shouldn't it be the opposite....a stiff rod (and less stretchy line...like braid) transfers the energy to your hands and fingers more quickly? ***Sigh***another sleepless night!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
PlugDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
I'd finally just gotten to sleep after all my inner turmoil about needlefish plugs...then I start reading an article about rod sensitivity while drifting salmon eggs, in a local fw magazine. The "expert" says that a flexible rod with a limber tip is best for detecting strikes. Is it me, or shouldn't it be the opposite....a stiff rod (and less stretchy line...like braid) transfers the energy to your hands and fingers more quickly? ***Sigh***another sleepless night!
Good brain teasers here.
- Braid with no stretch seems like a clear winner in instantly transmitting a force from the fish to the tip of the rod. Once the force is applied to the top of the rod it gets more complicated and IMO it then goes from just physics to how we detect an applied force. The stiffer rod will have more inertia and with a subtle hit there's going to be that 1 x dimensional change in force to detect. With a limber rod, it will absorb some energy which would seem to obscure the force of the hit, but then it keeps springing back and and so we may be more likely to detect it like taht great tap, tap, tap of a little brook trout hitting a worm drifted on a fly rod is is what I'm thinking of.

-Then there's the needlefish to lose more sleep over. Albert Einstein said: "Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." That just might apply to the needlefish plug. Just maybe this simple stick is one of the best plug designs ever created...???
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Speaking of speculation, anybody ever catch a bass in water under 50 degrees?
Only a zillion. After 19 years of winter fishing in the Thames I no longer believe in 50. Almost every year the action is hot/cold when the temps are 30s and far more consistent when over 42F so that's the number I keep an eye on. All that said, I have also had them hitting on every cast in 33f water a couple of times.

I've said this b4, I know, but one year we had bass from 15# to 29# hitting like crazy and blitzing the surface on these huge 11" smelly gizzard shad while snowing hard and thin sheets of ice sliding down-river from freezing temps. Sometimes the bass would chase the shad right up through the ice sheets. It was incredible!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
SS/Veteran

We often caught holdover Stripers in the Merrimack River in late March/early April while fishing for Shad - water temps from mountain runoff was in low 40s.
BillH
Old 03-26-2012, 01:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Needlefish....I don't know. Simply put. I don't know how to catch with them and quite frankly will never learn. They are boring to fish and the situations that might warrant the use of one are usially the same in which I would use a eel. Id rather throw a eel over that boring stick of a plug.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
Only a zillion. After 19 years of winter fishing in the Thames I no longer believe in 50. Almost every year the action is hot/cold when the temps are 30s and far more consistent when over 42F so that's the number I keep an eye on. All that said, I have also had them hitting on every cast in 33f water a couple of times.

I've said this b4, I know, but one year we had bass from 15# to 29# hitting like crazy and blitzing the surface on these huge 11" smelly gizzard shad while snowing hard and thin sheets of ice sliding down-river from freezing temps. Sometimes the bass would chase the shad right up through the ice sheets. It was incredible!
I know two people that have caught 50's from that watershed with water colder than 50. If I bump into them I will try to get a picture for you guys. One was last year.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM

We seem to be talking about a lot of things here. Anyway, rod sensitivity is not something that I believe in. We are not fishing for guppies here. I believe that advertising copy editors have to say something and the business of sensitivity was something picked up off a condom pack. Remember, this thread is basless speculation (BS).
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
FRANK-----I wouldn't loose too much sleep. There's too many factors involved in feeling a fish, even a sixth sense that something's happening, and the fisherman's feel, and experience, with a particular favorite outfit. Bait fishing for big Drum, there's times you don't have to worry about feel, 'cause all you gotta worry about on the strike is keeping the rod from being jerked out'a your hands, and other times you gotta feel'er before she feels you, so you can slack the bait. They don't hit the same way all the time. Most Drum fisherman hold the rod bone tight and strike as soon as they feel anything. That's BS to me, but I won't argue with their success. When there is no current, I fish the rod, graphite or fiber, straight up, with slack in the line. The type of line you use doesn't have a damn thing to do with feel. That's another pig slop theory.
Line vibration is the same, I don't care what kind of line you're usin', and the tighter you hold everything, the less you're goin'a feel, which goes against the normal grain of thought, for the reason someone gave on this thread because you got too much stuff absorbing the feel of the strike.
I learned something, accidentally, several years, ago. I was tired as hell, and sat down on an old metal chair, and rested the big 11ft. fiberglass rod on one of the cross pieces of the chair, with slack in the line. To my shock, I could feel everything that touched the big bait, because my body was not absorbing the feel. I forgot about catching anything, and just sat there playing with that rod and feelin' stuff I'd never felt before.

MULE.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM

I think there are times when gamefish are kind of mooching around the bait but most of the time when they eat your bait they are going to move off with a lot of drive. I've seen surf rods disappear and I have seen them recovered after the tide went out and some of the times a little four pound schoolie stole the rod.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Just read a report from one of the local bait shops= that "the stripers are here a month earlier than last year." I think they've always been here its just so nice out, 60 yesterday, that there are more people fishing earlier.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM

The bass could have come earlier. They don't always arrive at the same time and it seems that warm years they come sooner. Don, the thing is what size are the bait shops talking about? In New England there are two arrivals and I dispel small fish arrivals.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
The bass could have come earlier. They don't always arrive at the same time and it seems that warm years they come sooner. Don, the thing is what size are the bait shops talking about? In New England there are two arrivals and I dispel small fish arrivals.
It's not just the Stripers that are early. I just heard today that here is a big run of Baby Tarpon (40-60 lbs.) at Sebastian Inlet that started mid week. I don't think I'v fished for them much earlier than mid-May in other years here on the Space Coast.
Sounds like it's time to hit south Melbourne Beach on the north side of the inlet tomorrow or next day.
Bill H
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Our daughter Susan hired a charter guide a couple of years ago and they fished at night. Bill, do you fish for tarpon at night in your woods down there?