Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Yes, Ox-the-Canal was a top contributor. Another who comes to mind who boosted our image and performance was Joe Lyons. We have had a lot of good contributors over the years. Mister Smarty can't do it alone. We need people who can put aside the things that bother them, and I know there are many, and bring well thought out posts. Inform and entertain which is the mantra of any site like this one.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 PM

During the last month there have been any number of contentious exchanges between me and valued members who have found it necessary to slam the door on the way out. While this distresses me somewhat because I value every member who comes here, the nature of so much interaction is bound to foment a certain amount of disagreement. This is a tough job because I often have to sort out posts put up for the wrong reasons. I have to endure reports of members who talk negatively about me to each other then report back to me who said what on the issues. Even worse, some of these guys go to other sites and malign me. I can take all that but I want that handful of friends from whom I benefit to know about the common failings of what I deal with here from time to time. I also want those who have left to know that they are not the first to leave Mister Smarty's forum. That while I lament the loss of every member, even feel a certain failure in the disposition of my duties, I miss each and every one of them for about three days, maybe less.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:59 AM

Frank,

I read every post in this thread, yes it took a while. There were many many valid points as to the decline in surf fishing and possibly the site traffic. From a noobs point of view, ART really hit the nail on the head and a few others when they spoke of instant gratification. This relates to Chris Garrity's post too, about being skunked.
That instant gratification desire outweighs the desire to grow as a fishermen. I have left many day trips empty handed but I still keep coming back, to different locations of course. I feel younger people don't have perseverance to make it through those days of getting up early, enduring what mother nature has in store, and driving home with nothing.
With all of the above, it is increasing difficult to find quality locations to fish because of a variety of reasons.
On a out of state trip during the summer, I spent more time looking for places to fish, than fishing itself, because of surfers and beach goers, but this will not deter me from the over all goal.
It appears many new members are looking for that one bit of info about a lure, location, and not the desire to grow as a fisherman.
I also feel many new people don't post because they don't want to ask a stupid question, or get told something they don't want to hear. I think with age you realize you will ask stupid questions, and learn to live with it.
As it relates to what you are doing wrong.....
You are doing nothing wrong. To me, this is and excellent forum for learning.
I am thankful to learn from you, RobS, HookI, Captain Ahab, Jess, and the many others who have chimed in on the threads I have started.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:23 AM

I pontificate a lot here. I'm always warning our members to watch for changes in fishing opportunities. They created Quabbin Reservoir; they have expanded stocking of trout to fall; Great Lakes fisheries rule today. When I was a kid virtually living in the woods, there were no deer. You have to stay current and know what is developing. Be first, not last. Glad your checking us out, Noob. You can have fun here at Hemeroidal Surfcasting.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 PM

We should do an "after hours" thread where you have to have had at least one or two scotches before you post and it has to be at least what time 5-6-7? What do you think about that idea Frank?? Haha I like it!!
-Phil
Old 11-17-2015, 02:37 PM

I could never participate in one of those because having a few bangs is the best way I know to get into trouble. Not joking, I've done it. I can even remember a fairly recent time when a member who did not agree with my use of "VICTIM" slammed the door on the way out. I missed him for three days. Fook that, drinking before posting is social suicide. Not smart.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:14 PM

Was fishing for a laugh as that idea is shooting from the hip and would turn to a chit show in around three evenings of scotch and posting. I agree social suicide, plus written mistakes don't go anywhere they will always there. Too bad we can't meet at a bar or someone's house once in a while would be fun...
-Phil
Old 11-18-2015, 09:40 AM
SS/Veteran

It's gotta be a grind to try to come up with content every day. I generally try to type only when I have something to say, which doesn't always happen. "Feeding the beast" is what newspapermen call it -- and I'm glad that I don't have the responsibility to do that. Writing something when you feel like it is an entirely different, and more enjoyable, activity than writing because you have to.

Remember term papers in high school? Writing on deadline is even worse than that. We ain't got no deadlines here, but it still must be tough for you, Frank, trying to keep the wheels turning here. I don't envy the job -- it's why they pay you the big bucks here!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:28 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with doing the Ask Frank gig. Overall, I like it but we seem to suffer from an endless line of critics, who spoil the experience. I find myself watching for mine fields, posting for the wrong reasons, get evens, trick questions -- all forms of ignoble intent. I don't find the writing demanding; what I fear is threads that trip me up, cause me to be misunderstood then comes the shot at me. My BS Meter flashes when people who pontificate when I, and certainly many of you, hear talk about doing the right thing in a world where everybody cheats. Some day I will talk more about the recent flap that broke my heart. More on track, sticking my head through a hole in the tent wall with a snoot- full? No chance!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:04 PM

Understood Frank I was being silly...see what happens when you have a few scotches and post. I should have said- " imagine what would happen if we had a thread where you have to have a few drinks and then post" I still like to think if some of the boys had a few drinks at the bar we would have a good time though, just not on line and in writing- that was not smart to put it up for what seemed like serious consideration-my goof! Putting your head through the hole in the tent continues to be a funny way to explain what you do when you post here...and it's your tent in Bobby D's "circus" we call Striper Surf. Still a great place to talk fishing. Never thought I would do this computer stuff and now I enjoy it and our members. You are the sage of online pitfalls because you have been through it and then some. Sometimes things get too dramatic and people over react for sure...
-Phil
Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 PM

I missed this site the last two days because of deer cutting in advance of bad temperatures which would have ruined our deer; out straight with it.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Jerky time? along with a kick back. You know kick back when you are in your easy chair with head back and feet up thinking about the meaning of life.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 PM

Frank you have to stock the freezer right? How did you two do, how many etc?
-Phil
Old 11-21-2015, 01:52 PM

I don't have any deer but have missed two; one was in too dark a shot and the other was too far -- 90 yards offhand. My wife has two decent bucks. Everything is black powder. We only need two deer per year for eating but last year we got four so we entered 2015 ahead on venison. Our four grown children get a lot of meat so excess is used. We have six weeks of hunting left with Sundays, hopefully along with good tracking snow. But we are both feeling our ages. Cant get the flippin things into the SUV!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:59 PM
SS/Veteran

"Cant get the flippin things into the SUV"

News for you, you are not the first person with this problem therefore there are whole bunch of gagets to help you out. With the amount of deer you have to load it might be a good winter time project for you to find the solution and spend a few bucks. Most attach to your trailer ball from platforms to crane type hoasts.