Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

My wife and I left the Cape at the beginning of the moratorium because striper fishing was banned. But we knew everything that was going on when we were there and had a lot of friends we were in contact with. A lot of Cape regulars were selling bass at the back doors of restaurants and never stopped inspite of the moratorium. I am not the king of the striper region but, like you, I have my own opinion about who should be considered.

As I have said, I regret ever having started the thread; I asked that members let it slide down the page to discourage any further posting. If posting continued I warned, I would either lock the thread or take it down completely. I locked it. The thread is counter to striper management policies at the time of the moratorium; it is fraught with liability issues which make further discussion untenable. I deeply regret having ever started it. The only thing that can ever approach a suitable response to the mistake is to close it. Sorry.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
People who make nominations should know more about those they nominate. Some of the nominees fished and sold stripers all through the moratorium.
Not trying to reopen a sore subject here, but I had a thought...
In hindsight: I think a problem with a Hall of Fame type thread is that there may only be a handful of anglers on this site that would know if someone sold during the moratorium. Guys like me read a few articles, a few books, see some reports and fish caught, then we make a nomination... I threw a couple names in the H of F thread based on my previous sentence. There are also people who may have caught lots and large, but didn't fish your area (say L.I. or N.J.) and they could be upstanding anglers, or illegal mercenaries, but the R.I. and C.C. highliners may not have known them.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Administrator

No, it was a good idea for a thread but, you must understand, its human nature not to agree. Just look at this election. Its too bad that when humans can't agree, trouble HAS to start.
It used to be you could have an opinion and if someone had a different opinion, you would just have a beer and discuss the cute girl at the end of the bar.

Now, bullets fly.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 PM

It was my idea and I thought a great one. But too many of the nominations were about criminals. I saw what they did first hand. I even wrote about them in my books but I never named them for obvious reasons. It was a horrible mistake and I made it. I can't blame anyone else.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:06 AM

Miguel Sardinas and Bob Marsh recently put up a pair of nice photos. This is not new but they remind me how entertaining they are and that they enhance the site. Interest has been waning recently, in some cases the fault is mine. But it is my job to encourage attractive posts to restore interest in stripersurf.com. And I think, a long with new and interesting threads and posts, pictures contribute. Never hesitate to post both ideas and pictures.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Issues in softwear.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Our software here measures responses but we could easily overlook the number of views accumulated on a thread. For instance, I put up a thread this week that took over a day for its first response; but 90 people saw it overnight. Lurkers are a big part of our activity.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:42 PM

The mystery of Frank/Francis just keeps on going on. I have these micro-soft add-ons that come in on their own and screw up my computer. Around the same time that Francis came back I lost all my favorates. Now, "Frank" is back which could have been taken care of by one of the administrators. Whatever ......
Old 11-14-2016, 03:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Clearing glitches.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Four days without a post, response or question has been particularly distressing for me. The implications of this silence suggest that interest in the site is in decline. In order to continue as an effective social/surfcasting site we need input from members. If I am doing something wrong to generate this decline, please say so and I will do what I can to get us back on track.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:54 PM
SS/Veteran

I will try to post more. I am hoping that the radio silence is because everyone is out fishing.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:56 PM
SS/Veteran

It's the weather and hype about the holidays or just time to hunker down.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I will try to post more. I am hoping that the radio silence is because everyone is out fishing.
That's what I was doing, Chris...a little. We were in Cape Nay NJ for a few days. Made some nighttime casts down there, and a few near Sandy Hook on our way back north. Didn't catch anything, but the weather was warm. In spite of all our "pokes" at NJ, there are lots of great beaches and inlets, and the lower Garden State Pkwy is a beautiful road.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
That's what I was doing, Chris...a little. We were in Cape Nay NJ for a few days. Made some nighttime casts down there, and a few near Sandy Hook on our way back north. Didn't catch anything, but the weather was warm. In spite of all our "pokes" at NJ, there are lots of great beaches and inlets, and the lower Garden State Pkwy is a beautiful road.
Fishing has been dreadful down there. Very few fish south of LBI. Soon....
Old 11-22-2016, 06:53 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

At least you must be alone Chris, as every angler in NJ will be at IBSP, except me.

Been out of the count due to family time, work and vehicle issues and will be that way through the rest of the year (minus, I hope, the vehicle issues !)