Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Joe Lyons says, "Most guys won't tell you if the sun's up."

In some ways I don't blame them. Anybody who talks too much, tells too much is risking the ruination of his fishing. My father taught me as a kid to keep my mouth shut even when the fishing or hunting was bad. You don't know who is connected to who. Word gets out that you like a spot and if people admire you it is you who becomes the hunted. With cheap and effective communication it is too easy to tell everybody about this or that. It is a person's own business if he wants to keep a low profile. No one is obliged to lead the way for the world, especially in activities that rely upon solitude for them to work -- like fishing and hunting. Moreover, there is a distinct vulnerability for those fishing in the striper surf.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM
SS/Veteran

For "policy" things - people need to stop breaking the protocols. Mostly because then when their posts get deleted they never re-post them so the threads suffer overall.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I also like this site: the only thing I can suggest and this is to Bob more then Frank is it would be nice if someone posted a question then Frank would hold the key to unlock it and answer before anyone else responded. Those violated posts could either go to a post entitled trash bin or just head out into cyber space.
Merlin, thats what Frank and Bob pay me the big bucks for...

Seriously, I try to check in often and keep an eye on things, sometimes they slip thru, but Frank made it clear to me how he views the forum when he logs in, such as looking for new posts with no replys, and he checks them first, then goes on to others. The protocols Frank and Bob set up aren't designed to limit participation, but just make it a bit easier for Frank to answer. Everyone slips up opccasionally me included. I know I sometimes miff people off with my deletions (BTW, they are still viewable to Admins and Moderators not gone forever), but it's only done to make things a little smoother for Frank.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
For "policy" things - people need to stop breaking the protocols. Mostly because then when their posts get deleted they never re-post them so the threads suffer overall.
AK,
As I said to Merlin, the posts arent lost, but if they choose to not repost them, not much we can do about that. I screwed up way back and "hard deleted" some posts, learned my lesson... Thats why no matter who it is, newbie or long time poster, I try to catch it so that Frank will notice the new post and can answer.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Senior Fellow

Rags,

Protocol may change a bit when you move below the Mason Dixon. Rebs wash their hands BEFORE they pee!!

Hey, anything to make life easier for Mr Big is good. Fortunately I have NEVER breeched protocols --- unless I know they exist.

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Jon:[quote= Rhode Island is very well covered by Joe and you and there doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing actual fishimg (look where the ly last trip thread went)[/quote]
Get used to starting a thread and have it die quickly. Not personal it happens to everybody. For instance, I thought there would be huge interest in talking about the old Cuttyhunk greats like Sabatowski, Haig, Smith etc, there was no response. I may not have been clear, not sure.

A big concern of mine has been digressions to non-striper exchanges which is outside the mission of teaching surfcasting for stripers. I felt that if we strayed from our mission we might lose some students of the striper surf. Part of our problem is that in my 13 years having been here is that we have covered everything imaginable cogent to that mission. The good reading is hiding out in the old threads. If you back up to the archives you can find stuff that both informs and entertains. If you respond to an old thread, I think it will still come up and become alive again. Also, keep in mind that if a few years have gone by, there are subtle changes in response from the person then and that same person now. So, hitting something over is not a bad thing.

We have had some marvelous thread successes that have enjoyed thousands of hits. Look at the outdoor art thread, or the Bentsen jewels or the literary discussions on fishing books. Another idea is to read some of the achival articles and pose questions from one of them. One thing is that nobody need hesitate to ask a question on "Ask Frank". In a place like this one, questions are the life blood of the organization.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Understood Frank and dully noted. I avoided the Cuttyhunk thread because all I could add was I wish to fish it someday soon!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Many of us have a tendency to over-react to thread results, get overly committed to our reteric. Regulars around here have to thicken their skin and watch out for misreading the statements of others. Think of yourselves as a bunch of surfmen sitting at the bar in January and let a lot of things ride.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 AM

Perhaps a little more fly fishing? Of course I'm biased, 90% fly 10% spin. You tend to cut through the bull that permeates most "profesional" fly guys and I find your points interesting.

In fact I've got to buy your book about fly fishing and I'vegot a question about stripers on krill to post.

Mark C
Old 07-29-2012, 08:17 AM
SS/Veteran

I WOULD SAY THIS TO ALL THOSE FISHERMEN WHO READ THIS WEB AND HAVE NEVER POSTED------I can understand how you feel. I read this web for at least a year before I made my first post, as I was fairly new to computers, was afraid to write something that might be construed as stupid or not meeting the imaginary standards of this site that I had envisioned. Going public with a question or an idea is a bit scary at first, but once you do it a couple of times, you don't think much about it. I would encourage you to post. Yes, sometimes there will be a poster that will try to make a fool out of you, but that's their damn problem, not yours, and, most of the regulars do not appreciate their disrespect in doing so.
Do not fail to ask a question or make a statement that you feel has been presented before, even though it may have been, but you would have to go through thousands of archives to find it.
FRANK made reference to this, but many times, I go way back in the archives to read some of the old stuff, and it is really good and helpful.
POST----YOU AREN'T GOIN'A BE ARRESTED.

MULE.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Perhaps a little more fly fishing? Of course I'm biased, 90% fly 10% spin. You tend to cut through the bull that permeates most "profesional" fly guys and I find your points interesting.

In fact I've got to buy your book about fly fishing and I'vegot a question about stripers on krill to post.

Mark C
I love to talk fly fishing because less is widely known about fly fishing for stripers from shore. It is kind of blown off as stunt fishing, is controversial with many accomplished regulars, and under appreciated by a majority of striper surf regulars.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I love to talk fly fishing because less is widely known about fly fishing for stripers from shore. It is kind of blown off as stunt fishing, is controversial with many accomplished regulars, and under appreciated by a majority of striper surf regulars.
That may be true over a large part of the striper's range but not so much from Massachusetts north shore up through NH, ME and into the Canadian Maritime provinces. Up there, theref are many, many folks who regularly fish with the flyrod and it's mostly respected by those that don't, IMHO.
BillH
Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Just to ad to that I think there is less striper fishing interest overall once you leave central Maine. I have often wondered if fly fishing's influence is fostered by all the Atlantic salmon fishing which is required to be fly fishing. People would then fly fish because they don't have anything else. I little wild, I suppose.

Salmon fishing the Penobscot regulars often catch incidental stripers. But they don't like them and view stripers as "course."
Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

There is certain repetition, particularly if you don't travel, which can wear on you. I was extremely interested for ten years and very, very interested for six. The last few years I've had a difficult time getting horsed to fish. I never really fished for money except two seasons when I held a license and I never got into the wetsuit thing, which I think would liven things up quite a bit. Not so much to swim to fish, but just to go further out - get a different perspective. It's not going to happen though. I'm too risk averse.
I think, unless you are fishing for money - about fifteen years of fairly hard fishing and you want to explore other things in life. At least in my case. It just got very monotonous. For some people I believe fishing fills all their intrinsic needs outside of human companionship for a lifetime, and for others I believe the rewards are more finite.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Just to ad to that I think there is less striper fishing interest overall once you leave central Maine. I have often wondered if fly fishing's influence is fostered by all the Atlantic salmon fishing which is required to be fly fishing. People would then fly fish because they don't have anything else. I little wild, I suppose. Salmon fishing the Penobscot regulars often catch incidental stripers. But they don't like them and view stripers as "course."
Maine is probably not the best example because there have been very few years when there were significant numbers of stripers in the northern part of the state. Most years, the numbers of stripers are concentrated in the area from Elsworth south to Kittery.

Also, the vast majority Maine fishermen have a distinct fly fishing affinity be it for salmon, trout or black bass.
BillH