Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Maybe Lefty and Frank are both prima-dannas for different reasons. I am often bored by media luminaries because some got there through the media politics, which is rampant with the big publishers. Not saying that I am perfect but I have a lot of personal baggage. For instance, when a get burned by a publication I never forget it.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Negative waves, negative memories will only drag you down. You most learn to delete and move on or you will buried face down so you can see where you are going.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Good point, Rich. The writing racket has been good to me for the 50 years I have been at it.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Frank, you've written (and we've all observed) about the demise of the outdoor writer or column in newspapers.

What about the demise of the papers themselves.

An interesting article on the gutting of the Denver post: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ndustry-218360
Old 05-14-2018, 01:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Trump has been right all along with his complaints over "fake news". People are not buying and reading newspapers any more like they once did. For one thing there is no balance in reporting. If a paper continually spouts party specific propaganda without addressing opposing points of view they risk offending large numbers of people. My wife and I are continually disagreeing over dropping the Boston Globe. I hate them but she likes the sports pages. Articles in the Globe are all opinion pieces which are nothing but editorials, not really news reporting.

Then you have the poorly worded stories that address a person charged with something. When that person is exonerated, there is no follow up story telling the readers. Big news if the poor buggah is found guilty but nothing in print tells the reader his charge was thrown out of court.

Rob, don't you remember the thread we had here about THE PRESS? People hate the press. Why then, pray tell, would they buy a newspaper? I know that it is unwise to politicize even a conversation like this one. But newspapers are pissed off because their party lost the presidential election. They hate Republicans, hate the NRA, and can't understand why they lost that election. Listen, I am not going to repeat this, I am a union man whose life was saved by a labor union when I was a teacher. I was a Democrat as a result. But my party failed we liberals when they put up a femi-natzi (Hillary) who was shopping while our marines were dieing in Bengazi. Democrats put up a weak candidate who could not stand up to Trump. He was not that popular; voters just didn't want her. Newspapers are failing the public and that public is responding to that very failure.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:41 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Frank, I do remember the press thread.

This article was about a guy who is intentionally gutting the dying paper, by just using a biz tactic to squeeze the last bit of $ out of a dying shop.

I believe news organizations are failing the public, regardless of print or digital media.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Well said gentlemen.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:07 PM
SS/Veteran

News organizations have lost their way, lost their mandate of purpose. Being party faithful is not what subscribers are buying. As a young man I was taught to believe the news was supposed to be presented accurately without slipping in little digs on a person. I'm not a big Trump man but the Democrats left me without a suitable presidential choice. It was an accident that Trump had the same hostility toward the press that I have. The press ruined my life over the dog thing. I lost a great writing gig with an outfit that I had served loyally. Those bastards would have preferred to see those dogs eat my wife. I HATE THE PRESS! More and more of we Americans have developed an abiding contempt for the press.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:02 PM
SS/Veteran

I wonder how much of the press issue is just that, when it boils down to it, just like any institution it is composed of people trying to make a living. They do what they have to do to survive or they lose out to someone who is willing to do so. Newspapers and legitimate journalism are being crushed by free online news, etc. and my guess is there's serious pressure to abandon one's ideals and do whatever it takes to get ahead. I know that I grew up idolizing science and have been slowly coming to the same realization about that institution.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Senior Fellow

It sometimes seems that our entire existence relies on marketing. The science of seeking an audience and manipulating their thought is highly developed. Now it also seems that the practice of repeating lies until they become truth is demonstrated at every tick of the clock and at the speed of lightening. XXX Alinski (sp?), Goebells and any number of other propagandists would be proud. Those who capitalize on fooling the public consider it so simple they will spew any garbage and just expect it to be taken as fact. Who watched Jim Comey do his Hillary excuse speech and actually believed him? As soon as he was done I said to me bride...."that man is a lying sack o chit." Any number of times you read it or hear it and can only wonder about how they expect folks to actually accept the wild, fake facts. It happens in damned near every argument.
While "discussing" the disposition of an "evil natural gas pipeline" this morning with a renowned enviro sue and settle lawyer he stated that wind and solar power in the cheapest and most efficient available. He included the statement in his argument like it was fact. My fear is that thousands of teachers are sharing false info like this every day and the odds of youngsters being able to ferret out truth from fiction are not good. Maybe it is just the skepticism of a broke down old salesman but it seems to me that the science of marketing has undermined the ability to develop critical thinking for a large percentage of society.
Think I'll go fishing!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 05-16-2018, 12:47 PM
SS/Veteran

To sell newspapers content has to be popular and how you do that is bring balance of editorial content. You cover both parties fairly. If you are putting out Liberal propaganda and knocking conservative thought you are alienating half of your readers. The idea is to convince readers that there is no bias in your content. You know that a fair part of your readers represent around half of each party. If you want to sell papers, appeal to advertisers, just report the news without malice or political loyalty to just one party.

In my world all media is liberal Democrat. How then, did a Republican get elected president? And if the Democrats put up another dopey candidate next election like last time, they will lose again! Trump didn't win; Hillary lost
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
News organizations have lost their way, lost their mandate of purpose. Being party faithful is not what subscribers are buying. As a young man I was taught to believe the news was supposed to be presented accurately without slipping in little digs on a person. I'm not a big Trump man but the Democrats left me without a suitable presidential choice. It was an accident that Trump had the same hostility toward the press that I have. The press ruined my life over the dog thing. I lost a great writing gig with an outfit that I had served loyally. Those bastards would have preferred to see those dogs eat my wife. I HATE THE PRESS! More and more of we Americans have developed an abiding contempt for the press.
True this is. The press is about the press selling "news" and if the news does not fit the marketing plan....well shite...we'll just make up some good stuff. I hate most of the press.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
I wonder how much of the press issue is just that, when it boils down to it, just like any institution it is composed of people trying to make a living. They do what they have to do to survive or they lose out to someone who is willing to do so. Newspapers and legitimate journalism are being crushed by free online news, etc. and my guess is there's serious pressure to abandon one's ideals and do whatever it takes to get ahead. I know that I grew up idolizing science and have been slowly coming to the same realization about that institution.
The press and on line press are the same organizations. They just have not accepted that the rag is gonzo and on line is the future. The bad part is that on line can so easily be faked,
Old 05-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Senior Fellow

As a kid in suburban Philly I grew up on the evening Bulletin. I thought they offered fair reporting (but what did I really know?) and they had a great sports section, my focus. They even had a weekly salt water fishing column. That writer was basically a guy who said nice things about the folks who took him fishing for free .....but it was still fun, if transparent.

When the Bulletin went out of business the Inquirer was the only real game in town. It was not as objective as the Bulletin but was acceptable until later years when you had to hold your nose to read it. Our local sheet got to the point that they would only represent one side of an issue and would not even accept editorial input from the conservative or moderate view.

Although I enjoyed a newspaper every day for close to 40 years I haven't subscribed to one in over 10 years and rarely pick one up. Obviously there are millions of people who feel the same way and if electronic media hasn't killed print the bias writers have. I'm unwilling to invest that 45 minutes a day to read pure propaganda.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Newspaper's decline was generated by the newspapers. They shot themselves in the foot. Trump is right.