Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

I believe the purpose of the board is to ask/discuss fishing questions, in particular surf fishing, to Frank and other seasoned fisherman. When you go to a Broadway play titled, "The Phantom of the Opera", the audience doesn't dictate the setting or the storyline. Why should the "audience" dictate the intention of this board. If I had anything to say about it, the Board's intention remains as is or the Board should close. No Frank is not too vulgar, yes, at times it's off topic & too social. Ask a question, contribute if you can and then move on.
The growing concern with regard to many sites, such as google, is that people think they are smarter than they are. Why, because they log onto google and ask a question like: "What is the best bait and best time to fish for bass along the Jersey Shore?" Unfortunately, those folks have no intention of reading the various threads that this Board offers. Back to an earlier point, either accept the fact that the audience is shrinking and continue with the spirit of the Board or close it.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Phil View Post
Frank it is not your fault, this is a great place to visit. Look at very recent threads within the last few months some have views in the thousands, the fly fishing thread I started is over 8,000 and how old is that? When a thread topic is interesting or provocative the numbers boom. The Woolner's daughter thread, Frank and Tony Stetzko thread, look at the equipment preoccupation thread- fishermen are equipment obsessed- and they love to talk and ask about tackle. The Big River thread, hunting and shooting... I repeat- THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT. Fisherman love to talk!! We just have to get them talking again like so many times before and maybe encourage lurkers to become members more often. Those thousands of views aren't just regulars that contribute, there is another group that views but doesn't post and those are the numbers that keep things going and helps pay the bills...
-Phil
Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
There's so much more to life than just fishing, ain't there?

Blasphemy
Old 07-07-2015, 02:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vrola View Post
Just an opinion not criticism, not venting.
The lower site activity goes hand in hand with the thread titled; "Will Surf Fishing Die?"
I'm 67, so when the name of a thread is; "tell us who taught you to fish", I can relate. "Tell us what your learned, over the years", again, it's relative to me. However, younger men/women can't & really don't care. It's not today's thought patterns. Recently I insulted some folks at a small gathering when I stated that today's young people are a lot like us, when we were their age. In fact, the only small differences were that in my era I had a baseball of football in my hand, depending on the season and today they have a cell phone in their hand. Another small difference is most young folks are obese and have interpersonal skills.
That's why, having a good site, like this, where a beginner or seasoned fisherman can learn something will perhaps die. Yes, I believe the site is getting too social, and yeah, with the exception of the true fisherman, no one give a rats tail. The example would be the May bluefish run we had at IBSP in NJ. A bunch of clowns showed up, littered the place, killed fish they never intended to keep and then left. Do you really think they come to this site for advice?
I'm not retired, I have a tax & financial planning practice, I fish as often as I can and I appreciate all the advice I have received from everyone on this site. I certainly got abundantly more advice than I ever was able to offer.
I would not change the original format of this site. I think the purpose is good, with the understanding that you have a smaller audience. If the true surf fisherman and some boaters would stay on point and ask or respond to the subject matter, i.e. what size hooks? how fast the retrieve? how to cast into the lip? etc. Frank and the other experienced folks are great sources of info. Again, you are not going to reach the age group that leaves in the third qtr. of a football game to play on their cell phone. It's laughable, and you can't make this crap up, but, a young parent came to me about some tax garbage and he was concerned about his son's lack of communication. I jokingly told him to take him fishing. I never expected him to take me serious, but, on the beach at two bit road in IBSP, I see him & his son, both with poles spiked in the sand, sitting side by side on a beach chair, looking at their cell phones. Hey Frank, any father/son advice?
ART I agree with JON. That was one find insight on the preceived problem. One more thing, after I added my two cents, yesterday. In the different sites that I occasionally look at, fishing or whatever, it seems that almost everyone thourghly enjoys trashing everyone else. Even on the fine ISLAND FREE PRESS site at Hatteras. Disrespect runs rampant in our society, which I saw happening several years before I retired from teaching. I feel that a lot of those that do not post on this site ignor it for the reason that that type of self proclaimed unwarrented judgement of someone is not tollerated here by FRANK, BOB, and the rest of us who often keep our mouths shut, and are quite frankly, embarrassed when some self proclaimed evangelist gets in their pulpit. Lots of things are posted here that I have different ideas about, but so what, I ain't God's last word by a loooooong shot.

MULE.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Honestly since I moved away from the coast I feel like I have less and less to contribute. I've basically said everything I have to say and it's just repeating at this point. Some newbies need to step up.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
Honestly since I moved away from the coast I feel like I have less and less to contribute. I've basically said everything I have to say and it's just repeating at this point. Some newbies need to step up.
Contributions like yours and many others here stand the test of time. Sometimes, even having the experience I do at the canal, I will go into the big river thread and re-read everything you post. Don't short change yourself about repeating posts. It's all good.

Oh and well said Steve, as per usual!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
C'mon Andrew we need you around here your posts are very valuable to this place...
-Phil
Old 07-07-2015, 09:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
C'mon Andrew we need you around here your posts are very valuable to this place...
-Phil
Ask him how someone determined absolute zero exists without actually getting to absolute zero! He likes that one being all scientisty and all...guy can fish too! If it were not for this forum I would have never met him, JC, soon Capt. Ahab. I've made great friends here!

As for your post Art. I dismissed it at first until Steve's wise eyes helped me to understand your slant. Thankfully this place isn't just for you because it would sink faster than a 20oz bank sinker! Ive carefully contributed here for years and to suggest, on
no nother basis than age and one thread here, that the younger guys don't get it shows how narrow your vision is....
Old 07-08-2015, 02:28 PM

Jon,
At the expense of being hypocritical, (not staying on fishing topics), you are 100% correct. I am narrow minded and opinionated. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else, but, I had a great childhood, raised in a traditional family with many uncles who were avid fisherman. If someone was older than you, they knew better. That was inculcated into my up bringing. If your teacher said you were wrong, you were wrong. If your father told you to do something, you did it.
The point I was attempting to make related to fundamental facts that some folks feel they can by-pass. Such as: you can't teach experience. Unless one is willing to put in their time, both on the beach as well as drawing from the more experienced, you will not get better. That's why you can relate to statements like: I practice my religion, I have a tax practice, or I have a medical practice. One never gets it right but if you practice enough you get better at it. My opinion is that as the years pass, fewer people visit this site because they want instant gratification. Also, I don't start many threads because the information within the threads that have already been posted or are being posted I enjoy reading and using.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Well Art if there is one thing we both agree on and it also transends age is the instant gratification statement. I couldn't agree more about that. I hadn't thought about it much but your post helped spark my thought process. Perhaps membership suffers because we don't all puff out our chests and do report threads, pretty much coughing up details that wouldn't usually be given for the sake of internet glory. I don't know...

Where's Frank?
Old 07-08-2015, 03:25 PM

What they will learn is that instant gratification is an endless bottomless pit it gets to the point where nothing will satisfy them, the technology now just speeds up the process. There is a lot to be said about hard work toward a goal over a stretch of time the process and end result combine to teach a person what real gratification actually is... Read the forward to Striper Surf it is one of my favorites of all time.
-Phil
Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM

And yes Jon- Where is Frank?
-Phil
Old 07-08-2015, 04:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
-Phil
I think he's playing hard to get.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I just got back from a trip. Old writers go fishing too. And I don't have one of those fancy portable laptops where I can post from Tanganyika if I want to. I guess I am not supposed to notice that no one posted over the entire weekend, but those are the incidents that concern me. I assume, perhaps an error on my part, is that if nobody posted, no one was here. No one posts, no one comes, then it is a reasonable conclusion that I have become b-o-r-I-n-g.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
-Phil
Hopefully having a good time and enjoying a drink with the Mrs.