Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Default Good surf rod for under $150

Hi, I'm fairly new to fishing, previously only going maybe once a year with a cheap big 5 rod, but I'm looking to get into surf fishing. That aside, I have a budget of under $150, and I need a suitable rod to catch surf perch, stripers, etc.

Thanks,
Julian
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Good surf rod for under $150

I appreciate your confidence in me, Julian, but I hve never owned a store bought surfrod. For over 50 years I have used custom made surfrods assembled by guys who fished the surf themselves. I think they cost more but it was never an issue. I think that St Croix has a competent squad of coolies in Southeast Asia that put together some nice sticks. But even there I only bought and used their fly rods. Our guys here would surely be able to help so watch upcoming posts.

Welcome to CASTS, I hope you like it here.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Check out the Tica line of rods.
In your price range, a lot to choose from and a good bang for the buck.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 AM

The Rovex rods are cheap and are very good . If you would consider used you could get a fantastic rod for 150$. A lot of great Lamiglas models in that range used.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Tica has a great line of inexpensive rods I would recommend also..... And Frank, St Croix is built here in the good ole USA, well the Mojo line of St. Croix ....Mexico, but close to the border.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been checking my local classified ads as well for decent used rods. I've already been looking into Lamiglas surf king rods and I'll check out Tica now.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM
SS/Veteran

What species are you fishing for?

I didn't fish when I lived in California -- I was too busy getting loaded, chasing skirts, and playing the ponies at Hollywood Park and Santa Anita -- but my understanding of the surf scene there is that they fish for mostly smaller fish like surfperch and corbina. Drag-pulling fish, like the stripers and blues we can catch on the East Coast, are, from what I understand, hard to come by in the suds out there.

If this is the case, if the fish you are targeting will be on the small side (what we call "panfish" here in Mister Smartyland), then a steelhead rod will be just the ticket. These rods will cast well, are available in both spinning and conventional format, and are very, very light and user-friendly. They are not true surf rods -- the have butts that are a little too loosy-goosy for big-game shore fishing -- but if you're targeting smaller fish, including schoolie-sized stripers, this should not be an issue.

I'd suggest looking for a steelhead rod. There are loads of them under $150. They're so good that they're even mentioned, if I'm not mistaken, in that timeless classic Striper Surf.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Seeker
Old 08-25-2012, 08:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon View Post
The Rovex rods are cheap and are very good . If you would consider used you could get a fantastic rod for 150$. A lot of great Lamiglas models in that range used.
DENNIS IS VERY CORRECT. If you take the time to ask around with some surf casters, there are some real surprises out there. Other than the rods that I have built, all were used, high dollar rods, in their time, and all were bought dirt cheap, and all have turned out to be my favorite big rods.
I just recently bought for $125 (way over what I normally spend) a used top of the line surf rod, that today would cost $400+ to have built. BTW---age does not matter with a well kept rod.

MULE.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Seeker makes a great selection of rods for the west coast - a guy on this site fishes a 7' Blue Steel matched with an Avet SxMc and really likes it. Check out Charkbait in So Cal for some good deals, I have bought from them in the past and they are a good company.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The longest surf rod I ever used was 9' 3". Spinners even less -- 8 3/4 feet. But those rods were chosen for our type of fishing and many use longer.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM

I'm fishing mostly for perch, sometimes stripers. I've been checking and reading up on lamiglas rods--which so far seem to have very good reviews. At the moment, I have a no-name cheap telescopic rod at around 9 feet which works very well on the surf. Can anyone recommend a good surf reel as well? I'm going to be using monofilament lines, not braided. The fish at the surf generally won't be to big either. What's a good online retailer to order from?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 PM

One more thing, how are shimano surf rods? My local shop has some, forgot specifically which model, for around $129.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 PM

I would recommend the TICA's also or the Tsunami Airwaves. Around a 9' rod would run around $100 from Cabelas or Amazon (In NYC I've seen em at retail shops for $75). That would leave you some room to invest in a reel, a Penn is always a good place to look. I like Quantum myself for the lower range reels and now that the end of the season is nearing you may be able to find some reels on clearance.

How do you plan to fish? Are you looking to throw bait or lures? it would be the difference between a rod that throws 1-3oz vs 3-8oz; and the size of the reel, you may be a little limited since you are using monofilament. I think alot of manufacturers are making shallower spools for braid. Take a look at ebay for a used Penn 704z... i think that's a good reel that can take beating and you can swap to braid on it.

Also, do you plan on doing alot of walking and if using lures alot of casting... you may want to keep an eye on the weight of the reel and the weight of the rod. I never thought anything of it until I started doing mile walks on sand to a jetty and casting repeatedly.

hope that helps a little. and for someone who doesn't own any high end gear... I recommend staying within your budget as you get into surf casting. I look back and the amount of equipment I have now that I dont use or broke due to poor construction. I could have gotten a VS and a custom rod.

bunufish.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
SS/Veteran

What Lamis are under 150.00 I wasn't aware they sold a surf rod under 200.00.