Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Good surf rod for under $150

I come from the world of one piece rods which are hard to stow and end up on the roof of your vehicle where they can be easily stolen. I always envied the minority of surfmen who used two piece sticks and hid them in the trunk. That way, if you woke up screaming in the middle of the night you just jumped up and hauled ash.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Last season I was able to acquire a lami tri flex at Kmart for 160. It is a 9' 2 piece and I love it.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Surfcasting has its own dogma and that is okay but sometimes it pays to think outside the box.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:53 PM

I using the Rovex carp rods, for the money you won't get better.Has served more than three years.Just to put a new reel https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-fly-reel-under-200/ also Rovex.Rovex reels are brilliant for their prices.It has two spools with different line capacities,very convenient to carry, great for traveling anglers
Old 03-31-2018, 05:18 PM

The Surf Kings are cheap now and great value for the money. If you want a rod in the light or medium range and a nice reel for good value, take a hard look at Tsunami Airwave Elite and the Tsunami Shield reels which are so popular right now ( water resistant ) not waterproof. Penn is always worth looking at and while Shimano may not come in pricewise, they won't be far off and they make extremely reliable rods and reels.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG@Breezy View Post
The Surf Kings are cheap now and great value for the money. If you want a rod in the light or medium range and a nice reel for good value, take a hard look at Tsunami Airwave Elite and the Tsunami Shield reels which are so popular right now ( water resistant ) not waterproof. Penn is always worth looking at and while Shimano may not come in pricewise, they won't be far off and they make extremely reliable rods and reels.
I?ll agree Tsunami are really good rods I have a 3 piece Kyack rod , 4 piece travel 7? . 1 piece 8? , I?m pretty hard on them and more than 15 years they have been very very reliable and lucky . Do I have more experience rods ? yes but always go for them 1st our i Mawah NJ Bimini Bay outfitters
Old 04-01-2018, 03:38 PM
SS/Veteran

I have custom surf rods that, in some cases, go back 40 years. Back then the big box stores did not carry suitable surf rods. One quality, to name only what I can think of, was a one piece no ferrule stick that was not overly long. For a medium build like me who is 5' 8" 9 1/2 feet tops for rod length.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM

Amazing how things evolve. Most casters are using 10 -11 ft rods on the beach. There are still quite a few 9- 9 1/2 ft rods in play. My all time favorite rod is a 9 1/2 ft Century, light as anything I can find, two pieces and strong.
I do have a few 1 pc rods, 2 new ones. There are still a lot of 1pc custom rods on the beach as you are no doubt aware. All that said, you Frank probably had big fish nights with your 9 ft that would make many of us happy as a career catch list.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes, Joe, we did have some outragious nights. But we lived on the beach and kept track of the fish from night to night. We knew what they would take, where to look and didn't have to worry about going home. We even knew who was likely to follow us and how to shake them. Experience is a HUGE advantage.

Surf rod length, actually over-length, was a common fault practiced by other casters. If you want to swing a longer arc for increasing force, don't have a longer rod; have a longer trail from tip to weight. Our little girls knew that and could outcast most of the meatballs fishing.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM

I'm pretty much a long leader guy, in all conditions. I like the long lever nd the long distance to the weight. I'm just over 5'10" and no giant in the world of distance casting but I get the biggest arc I can, as long as I can handle the rod length and weight.
I do believe that a longer rod allows you to protect the leader / line etc and still put the boots to Moby. I'm also no engineer so that's an opinion only.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 AM
SS/Veteran

There is no school to which you can take up surfcasting. The angler has to think everything out themselves. Oftentimes the manufacturer themselves do not know what is best regarding aspects of a surfrod. For instance, they will put a smaller collector first guide in order to fit the rod in a smaller carton enabling them to put more rods on the truck for shipping. Rod performance be damned.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:32 PM

Another good reason to have a custom rod set up the way you and /or the builder want it for performance.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:36 PM
SS/Veteran

If your a artificial braid spin reel style fisherman rod guides not all are the same . Smaller guides as Titanium Oxide inserts reduce friction very well
Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Fly rods seem to be the only mass produced rods that really have professional design that meet the needs of the situation. You can get a fly rod that handles big game for under $200 either from Reddington or St Croix. I no lonager know because I haven't bought a fly rod in years. Also, both companies will replace any broken fly rod if you send them the pieces. And I have done that many times.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:22 PM

Frank
I think you would find that there are a lot of rods now available referred to as "factory custom" whatever that is. Century, ODM, FSC, Black Hole are a few...even Lami has them now. If you were to mess around with individual demand and personal feel preferred you could could probably find some really sweet rods out there. Not cheap mind you but capable of a wide range of plug weights and pulling in anything you could catch.
I have to agree on fly rods. From my limited experience there are many that may meet a give spec, say 9' 9 wt but accommodate different casting styles, field conditions, etc. I happen to have a St. Croix Imperial 9' 9 wt which is my go to saltwater rod. Very well made, strong, looks great and although it's referred to as fast action I'm not so sure.
I have not heard a bad word about either St. Croix or Redington. Guarantees like theirs are nice to have.