Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > OBX and the Carolinas

OBX and the Carolinas The Outer Banks and all places North and South

Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Stir this pot

I thought I had better stir this pot a bit. My year has involved moving to within 60 miles of the OBX and only fishing them once so far in 2013. That is about to change with my favorite fishing season soon to begin and the banks heating up with some nice bronzebacks and, who knows, maybe even a striper or two!

If anyone is coming this way from the end of September until the end of the year give me a heads up.

I'm overlooking the balance of the summer --- but may go to the beach next week just to shake out the cobwebs.

Cheers -- y'all!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Stir this pot

Don't know if I will ever get down there, but great offer! Git'em
Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 PM

I'll be in Avon for a full week 11/16 thru 11/23.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacommin View Post
I'll be in Avon for a full week 11/16 thru 11/23.
That's one of the weeks that I am 90% sure I'll be there. Hope we get a chance to say hello. I just came back from two days --- time with the kids and grandkids at the cottage.

Wasted some bait for a few hours and made sure that my limbs still worked while getting psyched for tourney season. The beach was great and the bait was moving.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I haven't fished once since I have been down here...
Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Senior Fellow

I just returned from the NCBBA red drum tourney. Some careful scouting put my team on the right location where one of our guys won the tourney with a 47.25" drum. Damned catch I ever witnessed.

Two hours in to the tourney I look at Louis and he is fussing with one of his rods. I walk over to see if we need to clear lines and see that he has been spooled and is actually down to the knot. I mean you could see the Y where the line was pulling away fro the shaft!

Louis carefully works back enough line, using his rod hand to help the line, to gain enough wraps to start cranking. 25-30 minutes later he brings his prize to the beach. I am now convinced that the fish spoiled him, somehow the 14# test held, and fought itself to exhaustion while Louis was tending to his other gear.

I kept asking if he had any head shakes or runs ---"no but it doesn't feel like a ray or a shark." That fish had a slight spark of life left to make about a 10 yd run when he saw the wash but that was it. I told Louis not to relate the story but he just couldn't help but sill the beans.

The drum bite has been sporadic but very productive on some nights. I hoping my buddies Mule and Bear run into that bite when they fish Sun-Tues coming up. I think I will be on hand to encourage them!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 PM

Had to leave the fishing at the point a day or two early (Thursday). Had a great time, caught a lot of pups and watched several big reds get beached by members of our group this week, the largest being estimated at 70 lbs.