Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Striped Bass Management - ASMFC to take action

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrule View Post
Donhans: I haven't been out here in a week or so- just saw your post in response to mine. I apologize if I came across as patronizing. I guess I'm a little too sensitive re. civil servants etc. (I have family members who are scientists and gov't workers who work hard for noble reasons and not much $).
I'm sure we are both interested in the same thing: keeping the striper fishery healthy so we can continue to enjoy fishing for them! And eating them, too! (I love them like you do)
Again, sorry for the negative tone.
Jim
Not a problem, thanks for the reply! Now lets work on catching some
Old 11-22-2013, 02:27 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Everyone talks about poachers, recs keeping too many, comms netting etc.

But the dirty secret root to many problems with fish stocks along our coasts and the greatest threat to fishing is the loss of coastal wetlands.

New Jersey led the way in destroying habitat back in the 50's and 60s when our coastal nurseries were dredged, cleared, filled and destroyed.

It has slowed down and thankfully many advocates along the coast have helped curtail even more development but still too much goes on unchecked, especially where politicians get their pockets greased by developers.

Status and Trends of Wetlands in Coastal Watersheds

NOAA has co-authored a report with the Fish and Wildlife Service documenting the current status and trends of wetlands loss along the coastal watersheds of the United States. According to the report's findings, from 2004-2009, coastal watersheds lost wetlands at the alarming rate of 80,000 acres per year--a 25 percent increase over the last six year period reported. In the upper reaches of coastal watersheds, stressors associated with development--both residential and infrastructure--were key factors in wetlands loss.

The loss of these valuable wetlands threatens not only our nation's sustainable fisheries and protected species, but our supply of clean water, and the stability of shorelines in the face of climate change.

Through the Habitat Blueprint, NOAA Fisheries is working across programs and with partner organizations to address the growing challenge of coastal and marine habitat loss and degradation.

Down south, the push to developer former rural fishing communities threatens coastal stocks. Don't think for a minute what happens in the gulf has no impact on us... it's all interconnected.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Article from Baltimore Sun 12/10 about the possible increase (1 million pounds ) of commercial catch.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...rockfish-catch