Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Needlefish

Not sure even Mr. Arra can throw a webel that far. But I am reasonably sure that webels worked when you had deeper water , as in 3-6 feet or more tight to the beach. I stopped worrying about distance a long time ago. Cases in point, each of the past two years we have had bait tight, but top of cast tight, 16 it was peanuts, 17 it was sandeels. Popper reached, but bucktails did not. Did not matter. Just get in front of the fray an throw. there are always fish hunting the fringe and those wonderful birds will tell you where that is. "Not scientific", what I'm going to put on my sweatshirt.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:34 AM
SS/Veteran

If you are a lousy caster -- your fault or lure choice -- if you do it in the right place it does not matter. My wife, for instance, does not fly cast well but I put her where the fish are in close when fly fishing and she does well. We all should learn how to deal with our dificientcies . For instance, I no longer walk well in the woods -- trip and fall a lot -- I walk with a cane and shoot more deer now than I did at age 45. Like my wife, I can shoot the nuts off a field mouse at 100 yards.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:17 PM

For me it was usually a case of not wanting to bother walking back to the truck since the fish were moving, and not wanting to mess with trebles when I can get them on a single. Reasonable caster, not Ron Arra level. Who is ?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Joe are you asking who is Ron Arra? He is a distance casting champion of the US, or was.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:12 PM

As in who else is Ron Arra level. I met him and do know who he is. He told me that he really only fishes the Canal these days. Never been there but I hear that distance is a good thing at the CCC.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG@Breezy View Post
As in who else is Ron Arra level. I met him and do know who he is. He told me that he really only fishes the Canal these days. Never been there but I hear that distance is a good thing at the CCC.
might get a good tongue lashing here... to get it on at the Canal is knowing #'s on the poles helps .
Old 04-19-2018, 12:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
True, I think that is why Arra hangs out there. Also, access to the Canal is unfettered with two seven mile banks; you don't need a buggy and access is free. Great moving water. A lot of specialized fishing BTGs, poppers, swimmers.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:13 AM

Canal has fascinated me since I saw an article in Field and Stream ( I think ) about 60 years ago. Never been, so I guess , one of these days.
Not to derail but the last post I see is the 19th. Today being the 25th, did everyone go fishing ?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Canal has fascinated me since I saw an article in Field and Stream ( I think ) about 60 years ago. Never been, so I guess , one of these days.
Not to derail but the last post I see is the 19th. Today being the 25th, did everyone go fishing ?
I have always wondered what happens to members and why they disappear.

Another source of confusion about the Canal is that I can't believe the Corps of Engineers hasn't found a way to militarize it, take over, ban night fishing or fee it up like the government does everything else. You know, screw it up like CCNS. In RI the state gated the state forest with pad-locks depriving citizens access. Once government gets its hands on things they get AFU.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:37 PM

You would want to own stock in the fence company when NYS decides to enclose Catskill Park, Adirondack etc. They already have fees for most everything on the game lands and creeks but yielded to complaints and some NYS East End legal sharpies to deep six the fee for the Saltwater Fishing Licenses...that would have yielded a lot of dough for them to work on the resources. That's the optimistic view. The realistic view would be that they would dump most of it into the general fund ( like they do with lotteries ) so uncle Mario could pay off the $4Bn budget deficit. No better in NJ, maybe worse. NY is stiff competition when it comes to the high art of corruption.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Joe, don't go to the Canal because the Canal is in Massachusetts. Being from NY you could end up rotting in some jail. If you get in trouble try to look like a Democrat who does not carry a gun and you might have a chance of beating the rap. I will say this about Mass: you are allowed to fish on Sunday.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:21 PM

I'm trying to imagine how I could achieve that disguise. I started with "Bridge Troll", down hill from there.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:30 PM
SS/Veteran

When I was a kid we were all warned that Southern police ran speed traps for Yankees. There are places where you will never get a fair shake as in Maine because you are "folks from away." Massachusetts is like Maine.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

There is a place in Kentucky coming off an interstate to get over to another freeway, when I got off I noticed *every* local junker, pickup truck, car, motorcycle... everyone was strictly at, or below the posted speedlimit... I immediately braked and fell into the pace.

Round the bend, then 1/4 mile later, round another bend, then 1/4 mile round another bend... were radar traps.

Thankfully I had situational awareness.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:58 PM
SS/Veteran

More to the subject here, the Needlefish was very popular in the old Block Island days with those guys. I was given some over the years but I never really developed an appreciation for them. I just had too many options that were higher on the list like rigged eels, pikies, Rebels, even fly fishing. I was fishing to sell the fish in those formative years, and I could stand in a rip fly fishing and make more money than the blue atom crowd.