Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Fly Fishing and Women

Hooking up seems to extend into the years a lot longer than "making out" or "scoring", which often ended up in matrimony at an early age as we both know. I have unwed grandchildren of an age when I was a father with two jobs and a mortgage and a serious crimp on hooking up.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Boat View Post
I was a father with two jobs and a mortgage and a serious crimp on hooking up.

Poor boy!!
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 02-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Our daughter's fly fishing lessons are not gender specific but she gets a huge following from women who want to learn fly fishing. Same with her guided fresh water trips to outback trout and landlocks -- mostly women.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:05 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Boat View Post
Hi JC,

My grandchildren informed me about hooking up years ago. Don't you love words and phrases with double meanings? In this case all I'm looking for is a tug on the end of a fly line.

Kib
...or on the end of your "pole"...
Old 02-23-2015, 10:42 AM

I have a friend who seemed to have the magic touch. His name is irrelevant but all the women loved him, especially just talking with him. He was no Redford or Grant mind you.
I asked my wife one time why he was such a hit. "Because he really liked to hear what they had to say, and spoke with them about anything they wanted to talk about". My read on that response was that he is a listener and did not give off any agressive male macho signals. Food for thought ?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

When I went to Fleet School in Bainbridge, MD there was a wave barracks close by ours that kept a steady stream of fresh girls going to the EM club each night. There was a Yeoman Seaman in our class who used to go there and make out/hook up every night. He was not particularly handsome but he could have their panties in the glove box quicker than any of us. We used to talk about him, wondering what was his secret. One of us would go in to the club with a near normal chance of scoring. But this guy had an uncanny, albeit ill-defined, way of winning the girls over which really pissed off a lot of we underloved sailors.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Found this on Orvis website today under the banner "Girl that really like a hike" or something of that ilk. TroutBum

There's a small tribe of women who get out and fish just as hard asthe guys. We're the ones pulling fly cups out of our purse when we'rereally reaching for lipstick, the ones trading heels for wading boots once fiveo'clock rolls around. One day work attire might consist of a pencil skirt andpumps; the next it's jeans, flannel and a ball cap. And on those dress-up dayswhen we leave a change of clothing at home, we know just how to fold a skirt soit lies comfortably under a pair of waders.

Our cars carry a weird amalgamation of tomorrow's yoga gear, yesterday's artsupplies, and a mismatched selection of waders, sling packs, fly boxes,compound bows, and shotgun cases. A few of us have resorted to carrying arounda carload of daypacks?one designated for each activity, filled with theappropriate necessities. Fishing? Grab the right tote and gear up. Yoga afterfishing? There's a pack for that. Drinks after yoga? Onward.

We're the odd ones talking about the ethics of fishing over spawning browntrout at the local coffee shop, generating a bevy of questioning looks fromvisiting city folk. Fishing conditions are a serious factor in our holidaytravel planning, and the major of our vacation days are, in reality, spent onsome form of water. Nail polish technology?gel or shellac??is talked about interms of how long it will last during a fishing trip. And we make a point tofactor in how said color will look when applied to a new fly pattern thatcaught our eye. Multipurpose and all that.

At the end of the day, we're as excited as any girl when we get the chanceto don heels and go out to the local pub. But the next day, we might just showup bleary-eyed to a morning meeting? not because of the prior night's partying,but thanks to the 4AM wakeup call for the morning's duck hunt. Don't besurprised if one of the first questions we ask is if you're a streamer guy or adry fly guy. It's important. And, while we're at it, what's your stance oncarp?

Many women find refuge in being outside. For some it's simply mornings spentwalking the dogs in the crisp pre-dawn light. For others, it might be paddlinga kayak across the local lake, sampling wares at a Farmer's Market, orjockeying down mountain bike trails. For a few of us, it's early mornings andlate nights chasing the hatch and long hours spent practicing our castingskills. Whatever your experience of choice, there is one unifying reason we allrun away from four walls when the time comes to metaphorically catch ourbreath. Life outside is far more authentic than anything on our televisionscreens, our computer monitors, or our nagging cell phones.

fficeffice" />
Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Great read, Joe. Thanks for putting it up. Its a changing world. Women at military academies, serving on submarines. Gender specific is becoming an anachronism.

When I was in college as an adult in the 1970s they had unisex bathrooms but that didn't work out. That may have been pushing the envelope a little too fast.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:45 PM

Like beer in the barracks ! There's an experiment.
Once again I went to the Fly Fishing Expo in New Jersey. My third in the past 4 years.
I still go to meet like minded people, shake some rods, spin a reel or two and buy a few things that I might actually need. Perfect time of the year to do so.
At some point in the near future I'll be going to look at the ladies. It's become so common to see women running the booths, talking about rods, knots and the like.
When I do my various creek runs, Long Island, NYS and NJ I meet women all the time who are into it as much as anyone I know. Yet in my travels to the local waters of the west end on Long Island, translated as Queens and Brooklyn and North Jersey, Ocean and Monmouth counties, I rarely see any women. There are three locals but that's it.
Thinking that we surf casters need an image makeover.
BTW I accomplished my loosely organized goals above, and met Hook1 ( Chuck ) and RJ ( Bob ) both of whom I had more than a couple of things in common with.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 AM
SS/Veteran

All the outdoor industries are looking to increase participation and women is an obvious source. Why should fishing be exclusively a man thing? Also hunting for that matter?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM

Over 50% of the population, so it makes real sense. Somehow it's hard to imagine a young lady gutting a kill and dragging a carcass. On the other hand my minds eye has no problem visualizing that same young lady dropping a ringneck with a $12,000 shotgun, or drawing a compound bow back fixed on a white tails shoulder. I love having women around, just wishing they would be there in the salt occasionally.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Women are definitely rare in the outdoor pursuits. Too bad too because they are treated like royalty. At the club where we shoot targets and pheasants, the guys all talk to my wife and look right through me. One thing if she were a 35 year old pretty, but Joyce is 78. Women have it knocked in the outdoor world. And the women who don't get involved see it and are insanely jealous as a result. A thing that does happen is that the women who don't fish/hunt are constantly reminded by their husbands: "Why can't you fish and shoot like Joyce." The men talk to Joyce but not the women.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:49 PM

Frank, I have been running distance for 40 years next month. It started with a beer bet, morphed into competitive activity, then to age group competition, then to not giving a rats fanny about who could beat me etc. Along the way I have run and socialized with lots of like minded women. I see more women running now than men. Following them on the local roads is not disappointing, and having them actually stop to BS with me is reinforcement. This is what I would like to experience in the fishing environment even if only occasionally. There is no reason that a woman cannot know more about fly or surf than any of us old coots. Just sayin'.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Women are definitely rare in the outdoor pursuits. Too bad too because they are treated like royalty. At the club where we shoot targets and pheasants, the guys all talk to my wife and look right through me. One thing if she were a 35 year old pretty, but Joyce is 78. Women have it knocked in the outdoor world. And the women who don't get involved see it and are insanely jealous as a result. A thing that does happen is that the women who don't fish/hunt are constantly reminded by their husbands: "Why can't you fish and shoot like Joyce." The men talk to Joyce but not the women.
Women may seem rare in hunting and fishing. I only see a few fishing and fewer flyfishing (Salmon River). I do see some spin fishing the surf and Troy Dam.
Where I DO see a LOT of women is hiking the Adirondack High Peaks region. The hikes I take there go from short hikes...one mile (one way) and 800 vertical feet (that's 80 flights of stairs)...on up to hikes like Mt. Marcy which is over 7 miles (one way) and 3300 vertical feet. I see couples hiking all these mountains but I see many women in pairs or groups of 3-4. The trailhead signs give you words of caution on dos and don'ts, and every few years they lose a hiker or two usually to injury, being lost, hypothermia or a combination of the three. My daughter and her friends easily keep up with me, or pass me, while going uphill. They carry appropriate weather gear, extra food flashlights etc.

JoeG, like you, I've run distance for 35+ years (but recently backed off a lot...the knees!). There are many women distance runners out there...you see them training everywhere. This past year I emailed three co-workers (all women) all the tips I could think of on distance-marathon running. They all safely finished.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:23 PM
SS/Veteran

http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Images