Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 AM

Default New bass book.

Born to Fish: How an Obsessed Angler Became the World's Greatest Striped Bass Fisherman

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Fish-Obs...s=STRIPED+BASS

I got a laugh out of the bombast in the title but was very surprised to see TIM GALLAGHER associated with it. He is known for falcons and other bird material..
Old 08-30-2017, 03:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: New bass book.

I don't know as I haven't seen the book. All I can say is that it probably is being released into a flooded market. So many striper books, so few readers, from my perspective is that it was a mistake to write it. That is why I stopped. Looking at the credits, it might be Myerson's World Record story as told to ... Just satisfying the protocols here.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Striper fishing books today are 25 years too late. When books are co-authored it usually means somebody can't write their own book. Probably can't read either. One great fish does not an expert make.

Anybody remember the Billy-the-Greek BS-ogram? That was a pissah if there ever was one.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:18 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

wait, you mean Billy wasn't Greek??

there are a few modern fishing "authors" that I believe write worse than I do, a solid "C" student in English if ever there was one
Old 09-20-2017, 03:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I think there was a time for me when writing a book was good for my ego, sense of self. I guess we all evolve because today I have disdain for authorship. As most of you know, all sense of importance is related to money. You don't work all year for 10 or 15 grand. I have learned that I can sit on my ash with $100,000 and double it within a year. The second year it doubles it becomes $400,000 ... and so on. Way back, when I was doing seminars, getting a small pension, and moving a few books at those same appearances, it was a good gig when I had nothing else. Two years ago while picking up a pizza at the local gin mill, a guy bought me a beer telling the bar maid I wrote books about fishing. That was nice but fame and appreciation from a guy who can't read really is kind of empty.

Where I do still get my stones is when some guy quotes a passage from one of my books from memory. A win!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Born to Fish: How an Obsessed Angler Became the World's Greatest Striped Bass Fisherman

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Fish-Obs...s=STRIPED+BASS

I got a laugh out of the bombast in the title but was very surprised to see TIM GALLAGHER associated with it. He is known for falcons and other bird material..
"Born to Fish tells the story of a man who led a harrowing, sometimes dissolute life until he turned himself around, thanks to his rod and reel. Overcoming learning disabilities, substance abuse, and the violence associated with a father in the mob, Greg Myerson, a lifelong sport-fisherman, caught an 82-pound striped bass in 2011, shattering a world record that had stood for 29 years. Without any training in biological research, he began studying the striped bass like a scientist?examining how it hunts, the food it eats, how its behavior is affected by moon phases and the cycles of the tides?which led to the creation of the RattleSinker, the lure that helped him catch the record-setting bass. During an appearance on the TV show Shark Tank, Mark Cuban bought a 33 percent share of Greg's company, World Record Striper Company. Yet at the very instant he achieved his crowning glory as a striped bass fisherman, he had a staggering epiphany and instantly regretted killing the fish. Greg is now at the forefront of the effort to save the big striped bass, the most prolific breeders, and actively promotes no-kill catch-and-release tournaments."

I assumed it was about Albert McReynolds but it is about Greg Myerson. I never heard of him. Shows that time has passed me by.

http://www.onthewater.com/its-offici...ecord-striper/
Old 03-01-2018, 09:48 AM
SS/Veteran

I can't get excited about book "authors" whose only claim is ONE fish. As I age, I have a greater appreciation for other accomplishments.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 PM

I suppose if the book was about years of stalking and taking big fish, even from a boat, with plenty of 40's and 50's in the mix, the book could have some value. I wouldn't have the stones to write a bass book unless I knew I could go out on carefully selected night tides and catch large fish regularly. I can't do that, so don't be waiting for that book anytime soon.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM
SS/Veteran

A lot of people are delusional about their ability both to fish and write informatively about it. Its about fishing and English. If you never read a book how the heck are you going to write one?
Old 03-02-2018, 11:02 AM
SS/Veteran

With over 96 species of fish taking on rod &reel from Canada to South America , I would never think of putting pages together along with some tall tales . It would take too much time in doors , not worth dealing with media relations & possible partners to get it published . I don’t need the money as I have no friends anyway . And with this face the Lord has blessed me with ( Charlton Heston look a like ) it might get me in trouble with the younger broads . So there you have it . I’ll just continue to re read Mr. D’s collection which I have . Be happy !
Old 03-02-2018, 11:15 AM
SS/Veteran

People think that there is big money in books. But it is a part-time job at best. True, if you do exciting seminars you get to sell copies with a 50% mark up but there is no long term profit. Now that I no longer do seminars, I don't sell many books.

See all those banners here on my books? I have sold ONE book since January 1. Keep your day job. I have evolved since I started here 19 years ago. For one thing I have gotten old.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
People think that there is big money in books. But it is a part-time job at best. True, if you do exciting seminars you get to sell copies with a 50% mark up but there is no long term profit. Now that I no longer do seminars, I don't sell many books.

See all those banners here on my books? I have sold ONE book since January 1. Keep your day job. I have evolved since I started here 19 years ago. For one thing I have gotten old.
https://www.tu.org/media/trout-magazine

I was looking at a recent edition of the mag with an article on Nick Lyons, retired fishing book publisher. As he said, most fishing books sell 5000 copies or less, mostly less. His best find Selective Trout sold 150,000. He said the market is flooded with books now and he figured it was hurting sales.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:10 PM
SS/Veteran

Great point, Walter. Lyons remarks probably don't take into account all the self-published junk out there in the market. I love it: I go into a gin mill downtown as a famous author and someone, half in his cups before I got there, buys me a drink but the sonofabitch never read, not only my book nor anyone else's. It's a bullshit world.

you want to know where writing's future/reward is? Shut up and listen, cuz I'm tired of covering this -- magazine writing. You write something cogent for a publication like I have been doing since 1969, they print it and then send you a check. These delusional "authors" who think they are Earl Stanley Gardner, after their wives have installed the commas, are shitting themselves.

If you want to be informed and entertained read a book from a person who spent his life catching striped bass when otherS could not ....... hate to say this ....... MOI.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:28 AM

Frank, I would guess that out of all of the books out there now about Striper fishing yours would be the only ones read until the binding needed tape. Let alone borrowed and never seen again. Thanks for what you do
Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Thank you, Scott. But the world forgets you very quickly. Even the small publications -- really only one -- that once bought everything I did dumped me as soon as they could find a reason. I've had some good years in the writing game. Thankfully I was among the first, before it got crowded.