Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:38 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: This was a Shock!

Assuming stripers are, the interesting thing to me is what, if anything, will be done about it "up there".

Down here, fisheries managers must pull their hair out since anglers blame everything on everything (dogfish wiping out stocks of {name your favorite fish}, etc)
Old 02-08-2018, 06:24 PM

"Same thing in the Stewiake. Using acoustically tagged smolts that were released into the river, they determined bass were gobbling them near the mouth. The tags change the transmission frequency when subjected to digestive juices!"

A comment from a buddy.

I never heard the "digestive juices" angle before.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:31 AM
SS/Veteran

I can't speak for Maritimes science/management but around here we have some wildlife managers who are so shockwa that they actually exascerbate issues. For instance, they cut the deer season then complain that the deer kill is down; so they cut it again. Some must have been fishing the day they taught Statistical Analysis.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:44 PM

Stat. One of my favorite courses. It took me a whole semester to fail miserably. The 4 weeks in summer school to get an A. The difference ? A teacher who knew how to splain it in practical language.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:26 PM
SS/Veteran

What does that have to do with Maritlimes salmon?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Everything...you said "must have been ...statistical management" So I misdirected the thread.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM
SS/Veteran

There is a lot of dumb science practiced in wildlife management. Often people don't know what they are doing. Years ago, when an advisory committee setting regs for striped bass met no one knew how much a 34 inch striper weighed. If that is the kind of ill informed junk science being applied to the interrelationship of stripers and salmon in the Maritimes they are not likely to find a workable solution.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:16 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...very-1.4613759

Striped bass population triples in Gulf of St. Lawrence

Holy C***, Batman!

Bass under the Labrador ice.

I didn't see that coming.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 09:17 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Striped bass population triples in Gulf of St. Lawrence

Holy C***, Batman!

Bass under the Labrador ice.

I didn't see that coming.
I think this is a double-whammy: water temperatures have risen, make those northern waters more hospitable for the bass; and salmon numbers have decreased, opening up an ecological niche into which the the striper fits almost perfectly.

I would expect that to continue, and that's probably bad news for anglers up there: they hate stripers, because they compete with (and out-compete) the holy fish up there, the Atlantic salmon.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:26 PM
SS/Veteran

All true, Chris and Walter. No dispute, just to add, traditions die hard and Atlantic salmon are an entrenched tradition up there. Having fished for both salmon and stripers, I can say an Atlantic salmon, fished with the fly in harmony with more traditions, is a better fish than a striper
Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 AM

https://player.vimeo.com/video/273333963

"The "big news" this week was the closure of a segment of the lower Northwest Miramichi for spawning of striped bass. This population was reduced to just a few thousand individuals in the 1990s but has rebounded to an estimated number of just under 1,000,000 spawning adults. All these fish crown into the Miramichi at this time of yer. Being predators of smolt and parr, this has caused grave concern for wild Atlantic salmon in the river.

Check out the video footage of the striped bass taken by Nathan Wilbur last week, shown below."
Old 06-11-2018, 01:31 PM
SS/Veteran

No one knows who or what to blame for this sudden influx of stripers. I am not fond of guesswork and global warming is way too speculative. It could be, (more guesswork) some spawning anomolie. On the other hand if the Miramachi can have a fishery that is not pillaged by high seas nets, as has been the case with salmon, maybe the Ministry would prefer stripers to nothing. Salmon have been in such short supply that fishing for them is a kind of exercise in futility.

You can fish a good salmon river for a week and never get even a rise. Striper fishing in a salmon river a lot of things happened. Boy, do the salmoneers ever get pissed when they hook up thinking it a salmon and it ends up with stripes.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Salmon have been in such short supply that fishing for them is a kind of exercise in futility.

You can fish a good salmon river for a week and never get even a rise. Striper fishing in a salmon river a lot of things happened. Boy, do the salmoneers ever get pissed when they hook up thinking it a salmon and it ends up with stripes.
News today

"A new report from a group advocating the protection and conservation of wild Atlantic salmon says the number of salmon in North American rivers has dropped for the second year in a row.

The Atlantic Salmon Federation's annual "State of the Populations" report says numbers in 2017 dipped overall by 15 per cent compared to the year before, and only half of the 84 rivers assessed in North America met the minimum conservation limit required to safely sustain the species.

A further 22 of those rivers had fewer than half of the required number of spawning salmon."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...drop-1.4700754

Yes, bad times for salmon.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Getting Greenland commercial salmon fishermen to lay off for 12 years is a good start. Salmon have been in decline since they found where the salmon hang out years ago. They just take too many, or at least that is what we have been led to believe. (You can't believe or trust any news sources any more.)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 PM

I think we all trust you Frank, at least when you are talking striped bass fishing, shooting, scotch, and good beer.....maybe women. You are media...like it or not.